East Kilbride v Cowdenbeath. 2nd Division play-off

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

Despite the Pars wind up merchants on here trying to justify their reason for being on this earth I actually met a few yesterday who were there wanting us to win. The one's in real life with an actual life are in the most decent folk.

Correct. Most Pars fans are decent people who see the benefit of the Fife Clubs doing well.

the dafc.net roasters are hilarious. Want Cowden out the league and happy Raith got relegated not realising a decent amount of gate money dropped out their budget without Raith who will be replaced by ICT who bring 3 men and a dog to away games.

Just now, Brazilianlex said:

Correct. Most Pars fans are decent people who see the benefit of the Fife Clubs doing well.

the dafc.net roasters are hilarious. Want Cowden out the league and happy Raith got relegated not realising a decent amount of gate money dropped out their budget without Raith who will be replaced by ICT who bring 3 men and a dog to away games.

Never looked at dot.net ones on here are bad enough:lol:

3 minutes ago, Brazilianlex said:

Not any more the dog sadly passed away;)

Reaction of Cowdenbeath players and officials after shoot-out was outstanding.
Humility and sportsmanship were terrific, brilliant to see, just wish the club could have shown same level of respect to East Kilbride supporters.
And a final message to League 2 sides next season.  If you finish bottom, you will need to beat East Kilbride in a play-off, because we are just getting warmed up. 

"Respect and humility"

Then a paragraph stating League two better be ready as you've already won a league a year in advance and beaten the highland league champions over 2 matches.

Respect and humility.

It's a joke that a team can win a league, win a playoff against another league winner, and then get denied promotion by losing another playoff missing one penalty in a shootout.

Need more "traditional" clubs to go down to try and get the system changed for a more fluid structure.

It's a joke that a team can win a league, win a playoff against another league winner, and then get denied promotion by losing another playoff missing one penalty in a shootout.

Need more "traditional" clubs to go down to try and get the system changed for a more fluid structure.

It's a joke that a club can throw money at the playing squad but play their cup games at another stadium. The resultant income funding their promotion drive.

Give me a "traditional" club with real supporters every time.

Not a boys club with supporter tourists as their adherents.

Glad Cowden won that.

East Kilbride is probably of a size that could do with a league club. Just don't think the present EK fits the bill.

There was a chance 20-30 years ago but the lemonade baron messed up.

Looking at you Bully Wee

It's a joke that a club can throw money at the playing squad but play their cup games at another stadium. The resultant income funding their promotion drive.

I'm sure there's a thread about Albion Rovers elsewhere.

16 hours ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

Well done Cowden on staying up, all the way from sunny Macedonia (the country, not the scheme in Glenrothes).

enjoy those relaxing pints tonight and see you next season.

Hi Ivo. Thanks for that. Enjoy the sun

11 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Aye, I understand people wishing Cowdenbeath the best but ultimately for the pyramid to flourish there's going to have to be a lot of movement between the fourth and fifth tiers. The more LL/HL sides winning the playoffs the better.

Anyway, thought it was a decent game if understandably short on quality at times. Cowdenbeath could have easily buried it in the first half, EK were rattled by going behind and couldn't offer anything. Renton was absolutely strolling it and was central to Cowden's domination early on, he was clearly a class above every other player on the pitch. EK's defence was particularly shaky: from my ignorance having never watched them before I was expecting that to be a strong point with formerly established players at a higher level in there, but if anything Barry Russell was the weak link despite his experience. McGinley was dealing with the multitude of shots and crosses that came at him though, excellent performance on his part.

As you see in games like this time and time again, Cowden failed to finish it off and EK grew in confidence over time. The equaliser came out of nowhere to an extent. They just didn't look like having any kind of cutting edge with Vitoria having a dreadful game while Winter and Strachan were trying to do too much - cutting inside time and time again when Cowden's full backs clearly weren't coping on the rare occasions they went outside - and McLeish and Gibbons were being overrun. Then that peach of a goal flies in and all of a sudden it was EK running the midfield the way Cowden had in the first half. I was really impressed with McLeish from that point on, even when in the ascendancy in the game there was a bit of a headless chicken element to some of the EK players in terms of positional sense and tactical discipline - hence Cowden threatened on the break so often - but McLeish seemed to know what he was doing in terms of tactical awareness as well as looking classy with the ball at his feet. He's one who could cope with League 2 no problem and I'm not sure you can say the same for everyone in that team.

I really thought EK were going to take it in the last 10 minutes of normal time (and them not doing so cost me £600 from a £5 coupon) but Cowden saw it through to extra time, grew back into the game and while both sides had some chances, it fizzled out a bit and penalties always looked likely. Five fantastic penalties from Cowdenbeath, couldn't blame McGinley for failing to save any of them.

I have a b*****d of a cold today after standing on that terrace for two and a half hours.

Terrible conditions for football but a decent game all the same. Who said summer football is the answer?  Cowden could/should have been out of sight after 20 minutes but didn't take their chances and nerves seemed to set in when they didn't go in. EK perhaps played the tidier football after that but looked pretty soft in front of goal. Apart from their opening spell Cowden didn't work the EK keeper very much either.

Thought the ref had a few strange decisions but was strong enough to ignore Vittoria's outrageous dive in the opening minutes and EK's later desperate claims for penalties, he got those right. One of the EK coaches spent large parts of the game chirping in the fourth official's ear, delighted to see him being ignored.

Can't say I enjoy CP as a venue but I'm very glad to be visiting there next season in the league, well done Cowden. To be honest I was nervous for you and thought you were done when it went to penalties given recent history.

12 hours ago, NotAFan said:

Who's gloating exactly? Very subdued and dignified end to the penalty shoot-out. Very pleasing tho certainly. Enjoy your evening.

I thought Jamie was a standout. His handling of the ball in difficult conditions was excellent. I think we all  reckoned he would save at least one of the penalties in the shoot-out. What is amazing is that we scored all of our penalties - and in some style.

Went along to this one and was happy to see Cowdenbeath survive. The Lowland League isn't fit for purpose if it means relegation kills teams off.

Strange atmosphere with the occasional Cowdenbeath fans who were there clearly not as stressed about the occasion as the regulars. Clearly some were just there for a day out and won't be back next season.

I never want to experience my team going through that. It will be someone elses turn next season though. I don't see how the potential death of a club due to one bad season helps Scottish football?

Bit of irony is that it was Cowdenbeath who attempted to drive the SPFL2 movement when they were in the Championship. The result of that was the current set up as the SFL clubs were given a take it or leave it scenario with the pyramid. The then board of Cowdenbeath couldn't have predicted a scenario that they would be the ones facing relegation and potential extinction and they didn't care about how it would affect the other clubs as they chased the SPFL money and hoped to leave the rest of us cut adrift. Relegation would have been a bit of karma for the board but at the end of the day it's the supporters and the town who would have lost out so glad they did make it.

34 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Aye, I understand people wishing Cowdenbeath the best but ultimately for the pyramid to flourish there's going to have to be a lot of movement between the fourth and fifth tiers. The more LL/HL sides winning the playoffs the better.

Anyway, thought it was a decent game if understandably short on quality at times. Cowdenbeath could have easily buried it in the first half, EK were rattled by going behind and couldn't offer anything. Renton was absolutely strolling it and was central to Cowden's domination early on, he was clearly a class above every other player on the pitch. EK's defence was particularly shaky: from my ignorance having never watched them before I was expecting that to be a strong point with formerly established players at a higher level in there, but if anything Barry Russell was the weak link despite his experience. McGinley was dealing with the multitude of shots and crosses that came at him though, excellent performance on his part.

As you see in games like this time and time again, Cowden failed to finish it off and EK grew in confidence over time. The equaliser came out of nowhere to an extent. They just didn't look like having any kind of cutting edge with Vitoria having a dreadful game while Winter and Strachan were trying to do too much - cutting inside time and time again when Cowden's full backs clearly weren't coping on the rare occasions they went outside - and McLeish and Gibbons were being overrun. Then that peach of a goal flies in and all of a sudden it was EK running the midfield the way Cowden had in the first half. I was really impressed with McLeish from that point on, even when in the ascendancy in the game there was a bit of a headless chicken element to some of the EK players in terms of positional sense and tactical discipline - hence Cowden threatened on the break so often - but McLeish seemed to know what he was doing in terms of tactical awareness as well as looking classy with the ball at his feet. He's one who could cope with League 2 no problem and I'm not sure you can say the same for everyone in that team.

I really thought EK were going to take it in the last 10 minutes of normal time (and them not doing so cost me £600 from a £5 coupon) but Cowden saw it through to extra time, grew back into the game and while both sides had some chances, it fizzled out a bit and penalties always looked likely. Five fantastic penalties from Cowdenbeath, couldn't blame McGinley for failing to save any of them.

I have a b*****d of a cold today after standing on that terrace for two and a half hours.

can't argue with any of that.

As far as the game was concerned, I expected it to be a dire game, but both sides played some good stuff. The football we played in the first 25 minutes or so was really good - quick movement, good inter-passing - and all on the ground. Can we play in that manner next season, please?

I think there should be a nationwide search for two teenagers who have suddenly gone missing. One has the alias "Yellow Feet" and he's obviously a runner. The other has the alias "Cowden Countdown". He is a self-employed prophet who predicts catastrophic events. They were last seen crying at Central Park, Cowdenbeath, around 3.45 pm. If you see them, don't approach them, because both may be suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Friends think that for some reason they may have gone into hiding.

On 21/05/2017 at 10:54, davidalexander85 said:

The Lowland League isn't fit for purpose if it means relegation kills teams off.

That's a big 'if'. The logical conclusion being that SPFL clubs are being kept alive at the moment by respirator. As I've said countless times this season, why don't you ask the Shire fans what they think?

On 21/05/2017 at 10:54, davidalexander85 said:

I never want to experience my team going through that. It will be someone elses turn next season though. I don't see how the potential death of a club due to one bad season helps Scottish football?

Again, people equating the LL with death of clubs is just lazy stereotyping. While the standard of the LL could be better, the alternative you seem to be advocating is stagnation. The fact is, in 6 playoff matches so far, team 42 has beaten the LL/HL champions once over 90 minutes. I wonder how much people's perceptions of the LL in the EK/Cumbernauld area are skewed by seeing these so-called 'boys clubs' and little else.

Give me a "traditional" club with real supporters every time.

Not a boys club with supporter tourists as their adherents.

This exactly ^^^

Archived