Airdrie vs. Alloa/ Alloa vs. Airdrie - Championship Play Off Semi-Final

Looks like the BBC reporter was doing the stats from their house again, Alloa had 51% possession! fc80eeda053e42de9af3818aecefd288.jpg

I was watching the game via Bet365 and the possession stats were about the same as that. I thought that was strange as the Twitter updates seemed to tell a totally different story.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was watching the game via Bet365 and the possession stats were about the same as that. I thought that was strange as the Twitter updates seemed to tell a totally different story.

Looks like the same person supplying the stats, you only need to read the Alloa fans posts on here to see the stats are [emoji206] [emoji90]

22 minutes ago, printer said:

Pretty much this.

I thought Jim G got his line up wrong. Had to be a start for either Robertson or Hetherington to help Holmer in the middle.

A lot of credit has to go to Airdrie, who were excellent all over the pitch, most noticeably in defence where Mensing marshalled well.

Yep, I think to be fair a lot of the time our poor play was down to good organisation and pressure by Airdrie.

I wouldnt have switched the centre half pairing back again but thats a long standing gripe that has been discussed again and again.

But after all that transpired, we'll take the single goal defeat back to our place. Goal looked a bit ropey in terms of an offside, but little doubt Airdrie deserved at minimum the advantage they take into the second leg.

I would think the statistics were just about right. Airdrie dominated for the first half. In the last 20 minutes or so we sat back and let them have all the ball either because we were happy to end up ahead or maybe because we looked knackered by our earlier efforts!

We were certainly the better team, and I just hope we don't end up kicking ourselves for dominating the game so utterly and only taking a one-goal advantage from it.  Having said that, Parry only had one really good save (in the first half), and most of the rest that he dealt with looked like fairly bread and butter stuff.  At the other end, Ferguson had less to deal with, but did what he had to do well.  There was a decent save from the one-on-one in the first half, as well as coming out to claim what looked like a tricky corner, and then in the second half and it took some cajones to deal with that sloppy back-pass by skinning their forward in the second.  He's had a few poor performances and bad mistakes, including against Alloa just a few weeks ago, and taken some stick for them, so I think he deserves a nod when he does well.

Our defence as a whole played well, led by Simon Immensing (sorry, @DestroyedByMadness, I'll leave the daft nicknames up to you), who misjudged one long ball in the second half, but otherwise dealt with just about everything, especially in the air.  We looked composed and organised at the back, and even at the end when Alloa were piling on the pressure, didn't look at all panicked.  There were a couple of sloppy clearances, but you're going to get that at this level.  

The midfield stepped up and played much better than they did last week.  Hutton in particular, until the rush of blood to the head that led to his booking.

Brown was frustrating.  Jekyll and Hyde.

Alloa were pretty one-dimensional and very cautious, certainly until we scored and then they came forward a bit at the end.  Not exactly anti-football, but given our obvious defensive frailties this season, it was odd (and welcome!) that they didn't seem to have much interest in exploiting them.  They packed a lot of men behind the ball, which was frustrating for us, but against the MIGHTY ANDY RYAN (:wub:) that can only work for so long.  They'd clearly have been happy with 0-0, while we know we can't play for that.

I don't think the penalty shout was a penalty - Ryan was straight back up.

PS  - it's just so good to see them playing with confidence and composure!

As far as I could see the poor midfield play by Alloa was down to Hutton (in particular) & Conroy chasing every ball in the first half plus the route 1 tactic employed by Goodwin for 1st 20 mins which was then dropped as not working (had worked before but much harder against our now back 3 formation). Second half for first 5 mins or so he adopted a 5 at the back 5 forwards formation to press us & circumvent the midfield again not working. So encouraging we dealt with the 3 formations Alloa had to offer.

Job only half done but I am now optimistic we can go there and not lose.

Mark Wilson seems to prefer leaving substitution making until 85+ minutes have elapsed, which always struck me as a bit of an exercise in pointlessness.

Scotty Stewart looked absolutely puggled from about the 65th minute onwards. Same with Russell. Maybe we don't have the same level of quality to bring on from the bench but there's no way those two will be anywhere near fresh enough for Saturday, which could prove damaging.

What a delicious pleasure it would be if they could dish up such performances on a weekly basis. I was really pleased with the defensive standard. For the first time this season I wasn't so worried when we were under pressure. Lovely feeling! 

I think with that type of display we would rip Brechin apart. Raith? Hmm probably 1-0.

EIO! ♢♢♢

I would think the statistics were just about right. Airdrie dominated for the first half. In the last 20 minutes or so we sat back and let them have all the ball either because we were happy to end up ahead or maybe because we looked knackered by our earlier efforts!

So "Airdrie dominated for the first half" which is 45mins but Alloa's "20mins" of late domination not only equalled 45mins but surpassed it? Really? Is that from the Diane Abbott school of arithmetic?

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Pie and Bovril mobile app

Airdrie really should be playing like they did yesterday all season , I always thought they had the ability, why they have not I dont know ! airdrie fans will have a better idea

did not realise you had been in the 1st div for so long,if you play like that on saturday you will go through ,sounds defeatist but looking at the two teams setups you guys really dont belong here , alloa TBH are at thier level here in reality, so whatever happens happy with the season we have had !

7 minutes ago, rough diamond said:

So "Airdrie dominated for the first half" which is 45mins but Alloa's "20mins" of late domination not only equalled 45mins but surpassed it? Really? Is that from the Diane Abbott school of arithmetic?

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Pie and Bovril mobile app

I don't think Airdrie supporters should be abusing each other at this time. Comparing me with Diane Abbott is pretty insulting! My gut reaction was that Alloa enjoyed almost total possession near the end, more than we had at any time. Anyway, we won, be joyful.

Mark Wilson seems to prefer leaving substitution making until 85+ minutes have elapsed, which always struck me as a bit of an exercise in pointlessness.
Scotty Stewart looked absolutely puggled from about the 65th minute onwards. Same with Russell. Maybe we don't have the same level of quality to bring on from the bench but there's no way those two will be anywhere near fresh enough for Saturday, which could prove damaging.
What a delicious pleasure it would be if they could dish up such performances on a weekly basis. I was really pleased with the defensive standard. For the first time this season I wasn't so worried when we were under pressure. Lovely feeling! 
I think with that type of display we would rip Brechin apart. Raith? Hmm probably 1-0.
EIO! ♢♢♢

The simple answer is he's got nobody on the bench that he trusts in such a big game.

Id rather have a tired Hutton on a yellow playing centre mid than Leitch for example.

Archived