Airdrie vs. Alloa/ Alloa vs. Airdrie - Championship Play Off Semi-Final

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Pesadilla said:

They're only good enough if they get there.

Remember they finished TWENTY-NINE points behind the only other F/T team in the league, and ten behind the P/T team we played tonight. 70 minutes of good football doesn't make them world beaters.

We are a 7 or 8 man team mate but yhis seasons woes were on the management from day 1

I feel we should have had a penalty in the first half when Ryan got in front of their centre half and he pushed him in the back.
[emoji815]️

Yep
Stone wall penalty as you describe it, not surprised our 1st booking was for telling him just how bad he was. If that had been an OF game he'd have been all over the back pages, for the wrong reasons.

Took this game in tonight and was a lot better than I thought it would be, certainly wasn't expecting to be that impressed by Airdrie.

Alloa started well and were probably the better team for the first 15 minutes or so but as soon as Callum Waters, by a distance Alloas best player imo, missed his one on one it was all Airdrie and they dominated the rest of the game.

Mark Wilson really did get his tactics absolutely spot on. I'm not sure obviously how Airdrie usually play but he was content to let Alloa's centre backs have as much of the ball as they wanted then would go and press as soon as they made a pass. Time and again they would press in midfield and win the ball back and Goodwin just didn't seem to have an answer to it.

Was very impressed with Andy Ryan he was the best player on the park and was very fitting that he scored the winning goal. He's improved so much since he was at Hamilton and he pretty much dominated the Alloa defence tonight. He absolutely could do a job at the top of the Championship.

Yep
Stone wall penalty as you describe it, not surprised our 1st booking was for telling him just how bad he was. If that had been an OF game he'd have been all over the back pages, for the wrong reasons.

Was never a penalty imo. It was telling that Ryan himself didn't appeal for it and just got straight back up.

With Airdrie sounding so dominant and hammering us 1-0 in the first leg I guess we may as well concede the tie and not bother turning up on Saturday such is the pumping that they have dished out tonight.

Reminds me of the Forfar fans two years ago...

Shut up ya big fanny

Guest The Phoenix

Took in the game last night and was hugely impressed with Airdrie - for the first 75 minutes. From then on they sat back and allowed Alloa into a game they had barely been by-standers in.

Whilst Mensing was immense, in every sense of the word, Andy Ryan must be wondering what he has to do to get MOM! 

I was sitting next to the Referee's Observer and his pencil was busy on numerous occasions - most notably the several Alloa non yellow card incidents early on and the non penalty incident with Andy Ryan. For what it's worth, I thought Andy Ryan fouled the defender in getting round him and he was then blatantly pushed in the back. Two wrongs don't make a right but that's the line Mr Finnie took, IMO. 

One request - Stadium Announcer, please turn the volume and your voice down a bit - shouting doesn't aid the clarity. 

Well done, Diamonds. Turn up like that on Saturday and you should "Rec" Alloa's promotion bid. 

I thought Airdrie were excellent tonight, well organised and really up for it. Probably be disappointed it's only 1-0. Hard to believe just how poor Alloa were, sluggish and disjointed and unrecognisable from some of the stuff we've seen this season. Parry, Graham and Waters the only guys who could be satisfied with their performances. We need to have a real go on Saturday because it would be galling to end what has been at times a great season in such timid fashion. 

Pretty much this.

I thought Jim G got his line up wrong. Had to be a start for either Robertson or Hetherington to help Holmer in the middle.

A lot of credit has to go to Airdrie, who were excellent all over the pitch, most noticeably in defence where Mensing marshalled well.

Archived