Airdrie vs. Alloa/ Alloa vs. Airdrie - Championship Play Off Semi-Final

So, with the regular season now over and final league placings confirmed we move quickly onto the promotion play offs.

I think whoever wins this tie will probably go on to get promoted.

It'll be interesting to see how his pans out. Alloa have generally had a good season and have been pretty consistent throughout, whereas Airdrie have been up and down (and everywhere in between).

Airdrie come into this having scored 7 goals in the last two games so hopefully can continue their goal scoring form into the play offs. Alloa on the other hand have (understandably) taken their foot of the gas a bit the last few games and have presumably rested a few bodies.

In terms of head to head, there has been nothing between the teams this season:

01/10/16 Alloa Athletic 1 - 2 Airdrieonians
19/11/16 Airdrieonians 2 - 1 Alloa Athletic
25/02/17 Alloa Athletic 2 - 1 Airdrieonians
22/04:17 Airdrieonians 0 - 1 Alloa Athletic

We are absolutely desperate for promotion having spent the last few years plugging away in League One, so hopefully we pull off a miracle and get ourselves brought this tie.

Should be a cracker. May the best team win.

As long as that that team is Airdrie.

ETA: Not sure if this thread belongs in the League One or Championship forum (it's been a while since we were last in this position), so happy for the mods to move this if necessary.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few weeks back I would've had Alloa as stick ons to win this tie, and the play off final, but on Airdrie's recent form goal scoring wise and going into this on a high i'm not so sure now. Still think Alloa are the better team, as their league position shows, but think this will be a close thing now and prob wont be settled till well into the 2nd game.

As a neutral i'm looking forward to seeing how this pans out, and agree with the OP, I think the winner of this game will go on to win promotion.

It would be nice if TW thanked the long suffering fans by reducing the admission prices and maybe even made season tickets valid for the game. I'm not holding my breath though.

Onto the game. If we defend like we did yesterday we'll have no chance but I'm hopeful of a favourable result to take to Alloa on Saturday. The 4 previous games have been close matches and I don't expect anything to change in the 2 play off games. Hopefully Andy Ryan can continue his goalscoring run for another 4 games.

Airdrie were the team I least wanted to face from the pool of potential opponents. As has already been mentioned we've been pretty neck and neck against each other this season.

Still think we have the better team but with them being full time they may also be a bit fitter towards the end of the second leg.

Ideally we come away with a win in Airdrie but I'd also be happy enough with a draw to take back home, am I right in thinking away goals don't matter in the play offs?

48 minutes ago, Wilkinson1998 said:

Airdrie were the team I least wanted to face from the pool of potential opponents. As has already been mentioned we've been pretty neck and neck against each other this season.

Still think we have the better team but with them being full time they may also be a bit fitter towards the end of the second leg.

Ideally we come away with a win in Airdrie but I'd also be happy enough with a draw to take back home, am I right in thinking away goals don't matter in the play offs?

Away goals don't count. There were times yesterday when Airdrie were a delight in attack/ a bit wasteful in attack/liable to crumble in defence/resolute in clearing/ not pressing up on Brady and the QP passing games/ and of course leaving me on edge till the final whistle as I did not know the other scores. Who can tell what will happen over the two legs but all the games have been close between the teams. Raith rovers will also be no pushover whoever wins. Alloa have an excellent record in play offs, Airdrie have a poor one-time for a change I hope. Good to see Ayr relegated and when you think Dumbarton have now lasted 6 seasons in the "Championship" with a hybrid set up maybe we should be reviewing our own set up.

36 minutes ago, Airdrie76 said:

I think Ayr have the hybrid set up and Dumbarton are proper part time? Their manager was on the radio though the week and I'm sure he said as much. 

Makes your point even more valid. 

A Dumbarton fan once told me that the Club had connections to the Whisky Co. in the area and many players were time subsidized by them which released more time for training etc. Would Gregor Buchanan have gone completely PT in the old sense of two nights etc? I don't know but I suspect we might be heading down that route?

1 hour ago, Wilkinson1998 said:

We have rested most of our better players recently which may equalise the fatigue factor hopefully , going to be a tight 2 games i imagine , both teams will fancy it,

I think raith will see off brechin ok ? but who knows ?  its all to play for  , see you all in airdrie on wednesday,

3 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

As a neutral i'm looking forward to seeing how this pans out, and agree with the OP, I think the winner of this game will go on to win promotion.

Do u think ? I'm not convinced, I think Raith Rovers will be too strong for all 3 league 1 teams. 

Only time will tell though

36 minutes ago, KierenAAFC said:

Preparing myself to be a pure nervous wreck for the next week at least. Haven't missed these games! emoji51.png

If we go 2-0 up in the first half of the 1st leg, then we wish you all the best in the final. 

In all seriousness, this could go either way. Should be 2 cracking games!

Archived