Ayr United - 17-18 rumblings and mumblings

As open as McCall is in his interviews, and I commend him for it, he's also prone to talking an awful lot of pish as well, especially when he's under pressure. I hope he has learnt from the mistakes of last season,the real test will be when the team is going through a bad patch and how he reacts to it.

He set his stall out early saying he was going for the league, anything less than that and that will be two seasons in a row he's failed to hit his target.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, UpInTheAyr said:

As open as McCall is in his interviews, and I commend him for it, he's also prone to talking an awful lot of pish as well, especially when he's under pressure. I hope he has learnt from the mistakes of last season,the real test will be when the team is going through a bad patch and how he reacts to it.

He set his stall out early saying he was going for the league, anything less than that and that will be two seasons in a row he's failed to hit his target.

Spot on. He looks in a much better place at the minute and more comfortable talking about what's happening at the club. No outrageous comments either like Forrest or McGuffie being the best young players ever. Would go a step further than learning lessons from last season and include the one before also. The capitulations due to mass injury lists especially post Christmas and expecting half a dozen central midfielders to fill in can't happen again. Personally will let him off with not winning the league providing he gains promotion and good consistent performances across the full season. 

7 hours ago, HeathrowAUFC said:

If only it were that simple.

Sure, it's not that simple when we're full time, but when we're part time it's unrealistic to expect us to finish ahead of full time teams...

2 hours ago, Iain said:

Sure, it's not that simple when we're full time, but when we're part time it's unrealistic to expect us to finish ahead of full time teams...

Spot on. Anything less than promotion this season is a massive failure this season. We absoulotely should be at very worst comfortably in 2nd place this season. 

Did someone on here post that Dean Brett had been invited for pre season training before he signed for Montrose ?

Only just seen that he's left them because it's too far to travel. Would be a good signing at this level and could play RB allowing Geggan to shift to midfield.

51 minutes ago, somerset_lad00 said:

Did someone on here post that Dean Brett had been invited for pre season training before he signed for Montrose ?

Only just seen that he's left them because it's too far to travel. Would be a good signing at this level and could play RB allowing Geggan to shift to midfield.

Was that not a joke in relation to his gambling, further to us signing The Moff.

Not sure if he's a good player, anyway.

Was that not a joke in relation to his gambling, further to us signing The Moff.
Not sure if he's a good player, anyway.

If it was a joke it went right over my head. Seemed to be a decent player in a pretty terrible Cowdenbeath team.

Looks like Geggan is the first choice RB anyway.

8 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Chris Johnston who we were linked with a few weeks back played as a trialist for Dumbarton yesterday. 

I'm not sure McCall is keen on him. I know Chrissy has put his flat in Ayr up for rent.

I must be the only one that really rates Crawford. As long as McCall plays him in centre mid he will be our best player next year. He's not a winger but has been forced to play there to accommodate Cairney and Adams. A full time Robbie Crawford will be a joy to watch next year.

I'm with you, I think he offers more movement and running off the ball than any of our other options in the middle of the park.

1 hour ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Chris Johnston who we were linked with a few weeks back played as a trialist for Dumbarton yesterday. 

McCall said in the interview the other day that he was 'very impressed' with one of the Thistle players against us in the bounce game and that he'd be possibly speaking to Thistle about getting him on loan i presume. Not sure what position he plays.

3 hours ago, Strolling Frank Rolling said:

I must be the only one that really rates Crawford. As long as McCall plays him in centre mid he will be our best player next year. He's not a winger but has been forced to play there to accommodate Cairney and Adams. A full time Robbie Crawford will be a joy to watch next year.

Rab is a fine young player

McCall said in the interview the other day that he was 'very impressed' with one of the Thistle players against us in the bounce game and that he'd be possibly speaking to Thistle about getting him on loan i presume. Not sure what position he plays.

Any idea who?

Any idea who?

There's a guy called Neil McGlaughlin who plays as a forward and was the top scorer last season in their development squad. No idea if he played or not but might be a target since McCall wants another forward.

Archived