Ayr United - 17-18 rumblings and mumblings

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shankland contract extension confirmed:

Lawrence Shankland today put pen to paper and signed a contract extension which keeps him at Somerset Park until the end of this season.

Manager Ian McCall said “Of course we are thrilled to get the deal done and ensure Lawrence will be part of the team for the rest of this season. There was a lot of interest in him and you would expect their to be after the way he has been performing however he has been really enjoying his football and you can see that in his performances. It has been really important for him to enjoy his football again and play regularly. He also has the competition of all 3 strikers scoring plenty of goals. Lawrence is showing he could play at a higher level and hopefully that could be with us.”

Lawrence has scored 12 goals in 11 games since joining the club.

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt that you know I was joking and are making a follow up joke

Of course I was

However it wouldn’t surprise me if some fans didn’t like him because he didn’t score in one game.

Who has said that?

It was more of a tongue in cheek comment but the fans that criticise even the better players, Crawford being the main one, then it wouldn’t surprise me if fans still gave him stick despite his goal scoring record.

Don’t think anyone has seriously suggested that we shouldn’t have given him a contract.

Anyone know how the players from last season that left are getting on? I see Harkins scored another penalty on Saturday and he seems to be a regular in the starting line-up. Has Duffy done the seemingly impossible and got the best out of him. Think Balatoni is still at Falkirk, would be quite funny if he was relegated in consecutive seasons at different clubs.

Anyone know how the players from last season that left are getting on? I see Harkins scored another penalty on Saturday and he seems to be a regular in the starting line-up. Has Duffy done the seemingly impossible and got the best out of him. Think Balatoni is still at Falkirk, would be quite funny if he was relegated in consecutive seasons at different clubs.

I don’t even think Duffy is getting a game for St Mirren. Hard to believe we were going to sign him before Shankland.

Balatoni is only signed until January so I wouldn’t be surprised to see him jump ship then.

Surprisingly the best of the bunch is McKenna. Playing every week for Aberdeen and seems to be highly rated by their fans.

2 minutes ago, somerset_lad00 said:

I don’t even think Duffy is getting a game for St Mirren. Hard to believe we were going to sign him before Shankland.

Completely forgot about that, never been so happy at someone turning down the club.

Just now, somerset_lad00 said:

Balatoni is only signed until January so I wouldn’t be surprised to see him jump ship then.

Surprisingly the best of the bunch is McKenna. Playing every week for Aberdeen and seems to be highly rated by their fans.

When McKenna played for Ayr, he didn't make any obvious mistakes but we somehow leaked goals.  Now that he's playing for Aberdeen, he isn't making any obvious mistakes, but somehow they seem to be leaking goals.  

When McKenna played for Ayr, he didn't make any obvious mistakes but we somehow leaked goals.  Now that he's playing for Aberdeen, he isn't making any obvious mistakes, but somehow they seem to be leaking goals.  

Apart from the several ridiculously rash challenges leading to penalties.

McKenna was mediocre at League 1 level.  He was rank rotten at championship level.  Dropping Meggatt and/or Murphy through December and January of last season to accommodate him was a huge mistake by McCall.  His red card in the Hibs game seemed to finish him, though I honestly can't remember the club bothering to pass comment on his apparent departure from the club or absence from the team, which spoke volumes at the time.  Genuinely surprised to see him being talked up at Aberdeen, but I'm less surprised that his introduction to their defence seems to coincide with their recent loss of form.

Archived