Ayr United - 17-18 rumblings and mumblings

Yeah I posted about the position he was being played a few days ago.

Again not something I can see him falling out with McCall about considering it was a development loan and it was the only way he would get game time. He plays as a RB for Rangers I think but was never going to play there for us. McCall clearly saw him playing and thought he might be able to play in the middle which is where he did play on his debut vs Airdrie and did well. He then started shifting him between wide right and central midfield and he played well most of the time apart from when he partnered Graham in defence against Dunfermline and couldn't cope.

Bonuses are also a big part of it with most of our loans

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bonuses are also a big part of it with most of our loans

I'm no expert on how the bonuses work so you'll maybe know better but I thought McCrorie's loan move was purely developmental meaning that we wouldn't pay his wages as he would be gaining match experience to aid his progression as a player.

Basically we're helping Rangers by developing their player so they'd pay his wages and we'd give him game time.

So does that mean we're paying him bonuses instead of an actual wage?

Edit: plus why would unpaid bonuses make him fall out with McCall. He's not in charge of paying them.

Any loan gets a percentage of the wages paid plus agreed bonuses. Most of our players are on a shite weekly wage made up by bonuses.

It probably had Nothing to with falling out with McCall. It just adds to thinking the clubs a shambles and to stay clear of it when your chasing money weekly/monthly

Any loan gets a percentage of the wages paid plus agreed bonuses. Most of our players are on a shite weekly wage made up by bonuses.

It probably had Nothing to with falling out with McCall. It just adds to thinking the clubs a shambles and to stay clear of it when your chasing money weekly/monthly

Aye I wasn't sure how it all worked

Imo some fans are too quick to put blame on the manager because they don't like him or want him sacked when its involving issues that he's not had anything to do with.

Aye I wasn't sure how it all worked

Imo some fans are too quick to put blame on the manager because they don't like him or want him sacked when its involving issues that he's not had anything to do with.

True, but he's not helping by not having the greatest track record with any loan signings we've had. Also if what you hear is true after John Henry left the training was amateur. Out of touch with modern football is probably the best description for him.

True, but he's not helping by not having the greatest track record with any loan signings we've had. Also if what you hear is true after John Henry left the training was amateur. Out of touch with modern football is probably the best description for him.

He's certainly very old fashioned in the way he manages the team. He takes a "his way or no way" approach to things and doesn't really seem to care what people think about him. If I'm being honest I think that's one of the things I like about him.

What happened with Henry? Must of missed that

1 hour ago, singin am no fae killie said:

Can't have been that bad considering they pretty much all signed up to get more than double of it a year later.  

1 hour ago, somerset_lad00 said:

I'm no expert on how the bonuses work so you'll maybe know better but I thought McCrorie's loan move was purely developmental meaning that we wouldn't pay his wages as he would be gaining match experience to aid his progression as a player.

Basically we're helping Rangers by developing their player so they'd pay his wages and we'd give him game time.

So does that mean we're paying him bonuses instead of an actual wage?

Edit: plus why would unpaid bonuses make him fall out with McCall. He's not in charge of paying them.

As a manager a big part of your job is to motivate and keep players happy. The easiest way to piss staff off is not paying wages. Whilst it might not be coming out of McCalls bank account as their boss the buck stops with him to make sure stuff like that gets sorted properly or people will quickly not want to play. 

As a manager a big part of your job is to motivate and keep players happy. The easiest way to piss staff off is not paying wages. Whilst it might not be coming out of McCalls bank account as their boss the buck stops with him to make sure stuff like that gets sorted properly or people will quickly not want to play. 

It's definitely not his responsibility to ensure players are getting paid. The manager is in charge of picking the team, getting the players prepared for matches and identifying players that can improve the team.

McCall will be told how much money he can spend on wages and he'll budget accordingly. After that it's up to the chairman or whoever he's delegated to pay the wages.

6 hours ago, somerset_lad00 said:

It's definitely not his responsibility to ensure players are getting paid. The manager is in charge of picking the team, getting the players prepared for matches and identifying players that can improve the team.

McCall will be told how much money he can spend on wages and he'll budget accordingly. After that it's up to the chairman or whoever he's delegated to pay the wages.

So how would the players sort out a problem like this? Incidentally which is quite a big problem if you're wanting a happy workplace. 

I'm with ayrexile on this. A manager makes it his problem, and it resolves itself one way or another.

If I was the manager in those circumstances I'd be going and making sure the problem was sorted. Side with they players and take responsibility. If there's financial problems then I'd be making sure absolutely everything is being done to solve them, and keeping the players in the loop. Complete openness.

You can't just absolve yourself of blame if you're the manager.

Obviously I know nothing about what's going on at Somerset. Rumours like this are not good. Hopefully they are just that.

I'm with ayrexile on this. A manager makes it his problem, and it resolves itself one way or another.

If I was the manager in those circumstances I'd be going and making sure the problem was sorted. Side with they players and take responsibility. If there's financial problems then I'd be making sure absolutely everything is being done to solve them, and keeping the players in the loop. Complete openness.

You can't just absolve yourself of blame if you're the manager.

Obviously I know nothing about what's going on at Somerset. Rumours like this are not good. Hopefully they are just that.

Excatly! If any of my staff aren't paid right, they come to me and I chase it up. If it keeps happening moral is down and more and more are looking for jobs elsewhere.

Excatly! If any of my staff aren't paid right, they come to me and I chase it up. If it keeps happening moral is down and more and more are looking for jobs elsewhere.

Yep.

But we don't know if it's definitely happening or if he is dealing with it properly.

14 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Yep.

But we don't know if it's definitely happening or if he is dealing with it properly.

Yes it would be interesting to hear both sides of the story. The Ninewells rumour sounds very bad and if both of these are correct then I wonder how much team spirit exists within the club. 

He's certainly very old fashioned in the way he manages the team. He takes a "his way or no way" approach to things and doesn't really seem to care what people think about him. If I'm being honest I think that's one of the things I like about him.

What happened with Henry? Must of missed that

There's being old fashioned and being in the Stone Age. After Henry left for Blackburn everything went backwards. Most teams have sport scientists now in their first team and academy we have neither ( we've just advertised for one in the academy). On the coaching front we have McCall who was out the game for five years before we took a punt on him and Neil Scally who has no prior coaching experience.

If I remember correctly Lachlan was way ahead of everyone with the "sports science" stuff. Does anyone remember the bikes which were in place in the Enclosure ?

Personally I think it's all bloody mumbo jumbo anyway, look at Cathro as an example, his "new school" methods weren't exactly a huge success at Hearts, were they ?

We appear to be trying to find problems here when we should really be looking to support the team and find positives. Only my opinion of course.........

If I remember correctly Lachlan was way ahead of everyone with the "sports science" stuff. Does anyone remember the bikes which were in place in the Enclosure ?
Personally I think it's all bloody mumbo jumbo anyway, look at Cathro as an example, his "new school" methods weren't exactly a huge success at Hearts, were they ?
We appear to be trying to find problems here when we should really be looking to support the team and find positives. Only my opinion of course.........

Spies science is mumbo jumbo because Cathro was a poor manager? It's pretty integral IMO - as a full time side we should have someone in place.

Archived