Ayr United - 17-18 rumblings and mumblings

Plus McCrorie was a centre half being played on the Right Wing. There's getting game time and there's being played in a position your club or yourself don't want you playing.

No he wasn't, he was a right back so hardly miles away. He was torture at centre back when he played there for us.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some serious revising of history going on here.  McCrorie was never good enough to displace our first choice centre backs or full backs.  I guess that's the downside of loan deals when the parent club think they can dictate where a player should be played.  We got relegated last season because we couldn't score goals - I doubt McCrorie would have done much to change that basic problem.

McKenna and Nisbet were given plenty of game time but demonstrated a fundamental lack of ability throughout their time at Ayr.  I never saw Thomas kick a ball at Ayr, but the fact he couldn't even make the bench suggests he was either miles off the pace or his attitude was suspect.

i kind of assumed we had promoted all the youth players because we genuinely thought they could play a role in the first team this season.  I'd rather develop our own youth players that other clubs through the loan system.  It's depressing that we didn't see them used against Montrose.  A real kick in the teeth for them I'd say after winning through in the last round.  

Some serious revising of history going on here.  McCrorie was never good enough to displace our first choice centre backs or full backs.  I guess that's the downside of loan deals when the parent club think they can dictate where a player should be played.  We got relegated last season because we couldn't score goals - I doubt McCrorie would have done much to change that basic problem.
McKenna and Nisbet were given plenty of game time but demonstrated a fundamental lack of ability throughout their time at Ayr.  I never saw Thomas kick a ball at Ayr, but the fact he couldn't even make the bench suggests he was either miles off the pace or his attitude was suspect.
i kind of assumed we had promoted all the youth players because we genuinely thought they could play a role in the first team this season.  I'd rather develop our own youth players that other clubs through the loan system.  It's depressing that we didn't see them used against Montrose.  A real kick in the teeth for them I'd say after winning through in the last round.  

I totally agree about bringing our own players , but the players we're bringing through are of a similar mould to what we already have (small dynamic not a lot of height or build) my post was simply pointing out clubs and players are unwilling to move on loan to us because of past experiences. Which in the long run isn't good.
Like I said though happy to be proved wrong. Maybe the fact we're full time will make a difference.

I'm pretty sure moving on Loan nowadays is more down to travel times, wage arrangements / bonuses and parent club advice, I'd doubt very much if most young players have any idea or even care about what's happened in the past to Loan players either at Ayr Utd or under McCall in general.

I'm pretty sure moving on Loan nowadays is more down to travel times, wage arrangements / bonuses and parent club advice, I'd doubt very much if most young players have any idea or even care about what's happened in the past to Loan players either at Ayr Utd or under McCall in general.

Aye
Last season a player we approached drove through Ayr to get to another club in the same league and situation as ourselves.
Bonuses are a major part of a loan move and we've got a brilliant reputation of paying them late.
If these young boys have a couple of clubs in for them and have the choice their going to ask around or most of the time their adviser will.

Well that is unacceptable and something Cameron and the board need to sort out. If it's a one off then fine, however if it's becoming more regular then certainly not good enough.

If Thomas was one of our youth players he would have got less than half the game time he did, he was very poor on his debut and looked very much like a flashy youth player playing against grown ups for the first time

McKenna and McCrorie were making a lot of mistakes and I was glad when both left

I'd expect a couple of players to do a Harkins in the next few weeks, get released from their contracts and become available, hopefully we'll get someone useful

He's a centre back/ Right back and there's a massive difference playing in midfield compared to defence [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Did you want him played at right back over Devlin? There are still similarities between the positions which you quite clearly knew I was saying.

As for your other post, another person on a forum spouting shite about bonuses without naming names.

Did you want him played at right back over Devlin? There are still similarities between the positions which you quite clearly knew I was saying.

As for your other post, another person on a forum spouting shite about bonuses without naming names.

Completely different positions and no I'd always have started Devlin.but if I were his parent club and he was getting played out of position midfield and defence are no where near the same when developing a player.

As for the bonuses believe me don't believe me. Didn't realise someone else had brought it up. But the clubs run perfectly well and in McCall we trust xcx

Completely different positions and no I'd always have started Devlin.but if I were his parent club and he was getting played out of position midfield and defence are no where near the same when developing a player.

As for the bonuses believe me don't believe me. Didn't realise someone else had brought it up. But the clubs run perfectly well and in McCall we trust xcx

For me personally I thought he was pretty decent wide right. He was quick and linked up well with Devlin but I could understand if Rangers were a bit pissed off that he wasn't being played in an agreed position.

In terms of McCall falling out with people that's no real surprise and just about everyone in Scottish football knows he's got a reputation and he himself admitted it. I don't think he's burnt his bridges with other managers simply because of a few failed loan signings. He's got a lot of connections in the game because of former players now turned managers or people on his coaching staff.

4 hours ago, singin am no fae killie said:

I totally agree about bringing our own players , but the players we're bringing through are of a similar mould to what we already have (small dynamic not a lot of height or build) my post was simply pointing out clubs and players are unwilling to move on loan to us because of past experiences. Which in the long run isn't good.
Like I said though happy to be proved wrong. Maybe the fact we're full time will make a difference.

to add to that I have thought for a while we seem to bring through or sign a lot of players that are technically good, have decent skill levels, but dont actually seem to fit into any position on the park for the formations we choose. The majority of the time we seem to stick to a standard 442, but we have guys like Crawford, Forrest, McGuffie, Gilmour, and add Harkins last season who are neither wingers, Centre Mids, or strikers and are the types of players who would probably be ideal as an attacking mid in a 3-5-2 or 4-5-1 (4-3-3) but we never play that (and we dont have the correct type of forward to play one up top anyway)

to add to that I have thought for a while we seem to bring through or sign a lot of players that are technically good, have decent skill levels, but dont actually seem to fit into any position on the park for the formations we choose. The majority of the time we seem to stick to a standard 442, but we have guys like Crawford, Forrest, McGuffie, Gilmour, and add Harkins last season who are neither wingers, Centre Mids, or strikers and are the types of players who would probably be ideal as an attacking mid in a 3-5-2 or 4-5-1 (4-3-3) but we never play that (and we dont have the correct type of forward to play one up top anyway)

If we played one up top you would just get people saying that it's "negative" tactics and we should always play two up front when I reality not many teams in football play with two strikers.

I thought this when Forrest came on on Tuesday night. I've always liked him and thought he retained the ball well with it just seeming to stick to his feet but end of last season and into this he just doesn't seem to keep the ball as well.

Also people have questioned what position does he actually play and Tuesday was the first time I've noticed that maybe he is beginning to think what actually is my position.

It's a shame cause like I said I like him as a player and think he has a lot of ability but maybe he just doesn't fit in to the team anywhere

Archived