Ayr United - 17-18 rumblings and mumblings

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully these two recent results will show @pandarilla and co that McCall is not the messiah. Hopefully it will also provide proof to Cameron that we are still 2 or 3 players short, failure to get another couple of bodies in and Raith will win this league at a canter. 

Was fairly evident last night that we had no idea what to do when the opposition packs everyone in front of their own 18 yard box, felt like most of that game last night was just Ayr passing from side to side on the half way line before the inevitable Michael Rose punt to nobody.

As farcical as it was to go out to Montrose, let's not pretend they even remotely deserved to get through. They sat in for 118 minutes and were extremely lucky to only concede once, so McCall is correct in that, on another day, we could have scored 4 or 5. The concern I think is that the majority of teams will look at the way Arbroath and Montrose stifled our attacking threat and do the same. 

Hopefully these two recent results will show [mention=43879]pandarilla[/mention] and co that McCall is not the messiah. Hopefully it will also provide proof to Cameron that we are still 2 or 3 players short, failure to get another couple of bodies in and Raith will win this league at a canter. 

I have never suggested anything of the sort (but that's not stopped you spouting pish before).

I think he's the best man for the job. I also think too many folk have it in for him and are overly keen on pointing this out as soon as a result or two goes against us (a strange approach to supporting a team).

I don't know whether we need more players or not (I've not managed to even see us yet unfortunately). But money is tight so I'm guessing that will be unlikely.

Reality check once again. We could have won 5 matches with the chances created last night and Montrose although in the league below are unbeaten. Yes, we should have had far too much for them with the team we put out and also being at home, however these things happen. 

It's quite amusing reading some of the posts as the usual suspects appear almost triumphant that we've lost a couple of games in a row and that for me is the most concerning, NOT the Manager, NOT the tactics and NOT the players but the pretty pathetic idea some people have of SUPPORTING your own team............

The concern I think is that the majority of teams will look at the way Arbroath and Montrose stifled our attacking threat and do the same. 

Reckon this is an important observation. The cup is the cup, and shit happens. We've gone a goal down in the last two games and we've not reacted how most perhaps thought we would, and continue to just thunder goals in all over the shop.

Funny that the same people who are complaining about others moaning about McCall after a couple of losses, are the same ones who after one league win, and a few cup games, were doing the opposite and lavishing praise for McCall as the right man for the job.

As many chances as we created last night, there were more times when we got into the final third and just seemed to break down, whether it was stubborn defending, lack of options, or both, it was reminiscent of what happened last season, and I think that is a factor for some supporters in their opinion of McCall. Some have given him a clean slate for last season, and some haven't. I don't think either of those positions are unfair.

We've gone from being a side with pace, flair, directness and constant bombardment of teams to this tippy tappy sideways and backward passing with no intention of trying to beat a player and just lump the all forward. We have too many passing midfielders in the team and not enough who want to drive forward from centre mid. We need another striker as well. Out of the 11 I thought Ferguson was the only real player with pass marks last night.

Archived