Ayr United - 17-18 rumblings and mumblings

Just now, Shibuya said:

Hibs at home. Thundergash.

That said, I wouldn't single him out, none of them could get near Doris on Saturday!

Oh f**k I erased that from my mind 2-2 then.  However i would say in the two poor games im not sure Jamie would have done much either, Hibs and St Mirren were just a huge amount better  (at that stage of the season) than we were. 

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aye Jamie is no world beater but he is effective in League 1. I honestly think there has been a big overreaction, yes it was a poor result on Saturday but we'd been playing as well as anybody in the country up until then.

23 minutes ago, Shibuya said:

Aye Jamie is no world beater but he is effective in League 1. I honestly think there has been a big overreaction, yes it was a poor result on Saturday but we'd been playing as well as anybody in the country up until then.

No we weren't, we were scoring goals.

4 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

I'm just waiting till someone says we should never have let Harkins go.

Nobody is that thick.  Even on the SEE, I refuse to believe it :lol:

I think there has too. It was as much you lads under estimating us than over estimating yourself for me.

We'd played Dundee, Ross County, Aberdeen and put on good shows. Infact I was a bit gutted we never beat Dundee and County.

In the league we cruised past QP, pumped Airdrie who were saved by a MOTM performance from their keeper who's now away to Motherwell and a goal from Ryan who's away now too. Against EF we were terrible but still should've taken something.

We were all saying pre match that we were capable of producing a result like the one we did but it was scoffed off for whatever reason.

I think you have a good team. Very solid and reliable. Maybe missing a wee bit of flair and creativity in the middle of the park and uptop, Docherty and Geggan were very workman like, Moore is a worker and Moffat is just a total poacher.

That's what I thought anyway, of McDaid and Forrest are kept quiet on the wings then there doesn't really seem to be that spark from your other forward options.

Imagine it will be between you and Raith still, think it'll be decided on who can keep their squad fit over the season. Few injuries could swing it.

I think there has too. It was as much you lads under estimating us than over estimating yourself for me.

We'd played Dundee, Ross County, Aberdeen and put on good shows. Infact I was a bit gutted we never beat Dundee and County.

In the league we cruised past QP, pumped Airdrie who were saved by a MOTM performance from their keeper who's now away to Motherwell and a goal from Ryan who's away now too. Against EF we were terrible but still should've taken something.

We were all saying pre match that we were capable of producing a result like the one we did but it was scoffed off for whatever reason.

I think you have a good team. Very solid and reliable. Maybe missing a wee bit of flair and creativity in the middle of the park and uptop, Docherty and Geggan were very workman like, Moore is a worker and Moffat is just a total poacher.

That's what I thought anyway, of McDaid and Forrest are kept quiet on the wings then there doesn't really seem to be that spark from your other forward options.

Imagine it will be between you and Raith still, think it'll be decided on who can keep their squad fit over the season. Few injuries could swing it.

Calling Moffat a poacher is a bit unfair.

He's nothing like the player he was in his previous spell with us. He's been our best player this season while only scoring 3 goals but he's definitely the most intelligent player in this league.

That was the first game this season where he was poor which is a surprise as I thought he'd be desperate to get his 100th goal.

11 hours ago, somerset_lad00 said:

Calling Moffat a poacher is a bit unfair.

He's nothing like the player he was in his previous spell with us. He's been our best player this season while only scoring 3 goals but he's definitely the most intelligent player in this league.

That was the first game this season where he was poor which is a surprise as I thought he'd be desperate to get his 100th goal.

I'm not surprised Moffat, Moore and McDaid were poor on Saturday because the 3 of them   got absolutely  no service at all from the midfield.    I  t doesn't help when the 3 of them had   to back   into their own half     to try and get the ball. 

Just back from holiday and can see there's been a bit of a meltdown following the result on Saturday. Don't know much about what happened to us but do know we had been playing some great stuff prior to Saturday. Unlike Celtic we don't have a budget 50 x more than the rest of our league so I'd not get too upset about a defeat now and again as it's what happens in normal football. 

You can't be at your best every week and like I said, there are other teams in the league who fancy their chances, so time to dust ourselves down and just keep playing the flowing attacking football that we'd been doing and I'm pretty sure we'll be fine.

Wholesale changes are not required and panic is certainly not required..........

Tactics were totally naive, that's what happened.  Arbroath were always going to pack the midfield to try and stop us playing.  We started with a lightweight midfield that never looked like getting a grip on things.  Every change McCall tried made things worse. Kind of reminded me of the Morton game at Cappielow last season when we conceded 2 late goals.  

Sometimes you have to earn the right to  play football, not just assume the opposition will roll over in front of you.  The fact we couldn't offer a goal threat for the first time this season meant the defence needed to step up and be counted.  Instead they looked suspect every time a high ball went near our box.  In truth, we could have lost by a wider margin on Saturday.

Tactics were totally naive, that's what happened.  Arbroath were always going to pack the midfield to try and stop us playing.  We started with a lightweight midfield that never looked like getting a grip on things.  Every change McCall tried made things worse. Kind of reminded me of the Morton game at Cappielow last season when we conceded 2 late goals.  
Sometimes you have to earn the right to  play football, not just assume the opposition will roll over in front of you.  The fact we couldn't offer a goal threat for the first time this season meant the defence needed to step up and be counted.  Instead they looked suspect every time a high ball went near our box.  In truth, we could have lost by a wider margin on Saturday.

With the squad size we have and the injury to Adams, I'm not sure what team McCall should've played on Saturday. Personally before a ball was kicked I was fairly pleased with his selection and formation. Of course we're not all a tactical Jose Mourinho genius like some posters on here.

With the squad size we have and the injury to Adams, I'm not sure what team McCall should've played on Saturday. Personally before a ball was kicked I was fairly pleased with his selection and formation. Of course we're not all a tactical Jose Mourinho genius like some posters on here.

Yup, if anything McCall played that midfield four (as opposed to Geggan in the middle) so that we had the creativity to break them down. He can't really legislate for literally every single midfielder and striker having poor games.

Just now, North Terrace Gazza said:

A few thoughts from Jose..

- Crawford has been on fire playing left midfield.  Why move him to accommodate a right footed attacker who consistently struggles when used as a right sided midfielder?

- Geggan combining with McDaid was our best attacking outlet in the first half (not saying much).  Moving Geggan to help bolster the midfield makes sense, but why replace him with the static Reid rather than the more mobile Ferguson?  Why bother signing Ferguson at all if you can't risk him against Arbroath at home.  Is he this season's Andy O'Connell?  

- if the point of moving Geggan was to prop up the midfield, why then take off Docherty? Doesn't that lighten the midfield again thereby recreating the problem you tried to fix at half-time?  Especially when you replace him with McGuffie who runs like a butterfly with sore feet?

- Having mucked around with Crawford, moving him twice from the centre to the left then back again, you resolve the conundrum by just replacing him altogether.  With Brian Gilmour.  Why?  (Jose was too puzzled by that one to offer any further insight)

- Given that Arbroath were sitting in towards the end, could we have considered throwing on Murphy and asking him to run the channels a bit?  There's no law that says you have to play 4-4-2 at all times.  You can change the shape when it seems appropriate.  Probably wouldn't have helped, but what the hell, we'd run out of ideas anyway.  

Jose also suggested signing Gareth Bale to balance McDaid on the right.  Need to be a loan though.

Quite often teams start the season on fire as with the new players and tactics teams are taken by surprise and don't know how to deal with it. After a few games where opponents will have them watched teams start to work out how to stop them, as well as paying them more respect and sitting back a bit to stop them getting space. The team then has to find new ways of playing to break down the opposition, which by the looks of the post above, McCall struggled to do on Saturday.

However, even given that, Ayr should have enough quality in this league to score at least 2 goals a game regardless of how they play.

Just now, pandarilla said:

I love it when our fans unite and get behind the team.

Give me a break.  Our club captain does his hamstring the week before we go to Kirkcaldy in a game that no one cares about?  I thought we were supposed to be using these games as development opportunities for the youth players.

Give me a break.  Our club captain does his hamstring the week before we go to Kirkcaldy in a game that no one cares about?  I thought we were supposed to be using these games as development opportunities for the youth players.

Give you a break?

Give the team a break. Injuries happen, and quite a few fans on here wanted a strong team to get the poor performance out the system.

Archived