Ayr United - 17-18 rumblings and mumblings

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Agreed. If today wasn't the day to field an attacking line-up then I can't see him changing. Playing Gilmour centre mid and sticking with the same formation that hasn't worked all season makes him look like a one trick pony.

He's a no-trick pony. He's a bullshitter too! He'll tell you all about the great football, and formations, and results you'll see next season. It's then the same old shite and you genuinely wonder what he's talking about.

Since the turn of the year we have been only going in one direction, much the same as the last season with Reid, we were in a great position to to stay up but didn't pick up players to strengthen the team, Reid was quite vocal about the lack of investment where as McCall has backed the chairman. 

Last year we played mediocre football and looked second best going in to the play-offs, this year we have played grim stuff, not had any shape or style and the players looked like they had given up hope 10 games ago, conceding 18 goals in the last quarter. McCalls comments all week were that it was a formality that we were down,  and we lost to a team who payed 90min with 10 men, we didn't even make a go of it on the last day to show a bit of pride, whether it was lack of motivation or ability. 

McCalls time has been mediocre and he needs to impress in the first half of next season. He says he is going to try and move on some of the players on 2 year deals which I assume will be Gilmour and Harkins. I don't think Harkins will want to drop down anyway.

I think Devlin was more or less away at Christmas, it it a shame we won't get money for him, The key will be keeping Doc. 

6 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

I don't think Harkins will want to drop down anyway. 

I'm surprised there wasn't some sort of 'relegation clause' in his contract.  Given the wages that he is reportedly on, and the fact that relegation was always going to be possible, I would have thought that it might be prudent to allow both player and club that option.  He wouldn't want to play League One and I doubt the club would want to pay him the (reported) wages, that could be spent on potentially two decent players at League One level.

Personally I would offload him; he has struggled in the Championship and given the shit-fight that League One is we'll need a different type of player.  I would hope that some of the money that they can save by getting rid could be spent on offering Doc a decent enough deal to entice him to stay.  

Doc is actually a bit of an odd one.  He'll do great in L1, as he did last year, and at time he's shown he could be a decent Championship player for a mid-lower team with time.  But as he done enough for a team to come and offer him something where he'd be guaranteed a starting slot in the Championship each week?

I thought he was on £1500 a week at Dundee and that's why they were desperate to get rid of him. Can't imagine he's taken that big of a pay cut to come to Ayr.  I think he'll be at Ayr next season, nobody is going to buy him or offer him the money he's on now, and he's probably content to ride the Ayr gravy train. He's at the tail end of his career anyway, and considering the effort he's put in this season he's probably not bothered about dropping down a level, dare say he's looking forward to a slower, less physical league.

10 minutes ago, super_carson said:

I have heard £1000 p/w.  This is very much hear-say though, and could be - like most things you read on social media - utter tosh.  

I don't think it will be a hundred miles away and I expect far better than him for a grand a week.

5 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

I thought he was on £1500 a week at Dundee and that's why they were desperate to get rid of him. Can't imagine he's taken that big of a pay cut to come to Ayr.  I think he'll be at Ayr next season, nobody is going to buy him or offer him the money he's on now, and he's probably content to ride the Ayr gravy train. He's at the tail end of his career anyway, and considering the effort he's put in this season he's probably not bothered about dropping down a level, dare say he's looking forward to a slower, less physical league.

Up at Paisley we ended up with 3 players warming up in the later stages of the half time break, the coach preferred to take the weight off his feet, I wouldn't have him and his attitude anywhere near impressionable Ayr players, let him weaken some other team.

Harkins seems to thrive when he is happy, when he falls out with people he seems to move pretty quickly afterwards. I'm not sure there has been any fall-out yet so there is a chance he might stay, but I'd rather keep Doc. If Harkins does stay and doesn't turn it on next year, he'll be playing junior the season after.

Balatoni, apart from having a go at fans booing when we were getting humped was an asset, I expect he will be off, I'd think Meggat would be the more likely of the two to stay.

1 minute ago, diegomarahenry said:

Harkins seems to thrive when he is happy, when he falls out with people he seems to move pretty quickly afterwards. I'm not sure there has been any fall-out yet so there is a chance he might stay, but I'd rather keep Doc. If Harkins does stay and doesn't turn it on next year, he'll be playing junior the season after.

Balatoni, apart from having a go at fans booing when we were getting humped was an asset, I expect he will be off, I'd think Meggat would be the more likely of the two to stay.

I'll happily take one for the team if that's what it takes.

I always thought it was slightly odd that Balatoni chose to stay Ayr in January when that foreign team came in for him.  Off-field influences such as family/jobs etc. may have been a factor but I guess he felt some sense of loyalty to the club having not long signed?  I'd love him to stay but think we're more likely to keep Meggat - and I'd be quite happy if he stayed.  

Looks almost certain we need a new right-back though....

14 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Balatoni not moving may have been him not fancying a move to South Africa or he'll move there in the summer for free and get a bigger fee. Or the club have knocked back 50k to improve the chances of staying up.

It was South Africa?  For some reason I had Cyprus in my head.  Guess that makes more sense!  From what I remember, didn't the club give Balatoni the option?  If he wanted to go they'd take the cash but he turned it down.  

Not sure Harkins has ever put maximum effort into any of the teams where he has played. The sort of player who needs others to do the hard work and will win half a dozen games a season with a piece of quality. He would probably do well for some of the better teams in the league but not suited for a relegation dogfight where the whole team needs to dig in and grind out results. Next season might be better for him if we are competing at the top of the league and trying to attack teams rather than hanging on by our fingernails. 

37 minutes ago, Sons Fan said:

What's Devlin been like for you this season?

Why, if he headed to your lot it would show a distinct lack of ambition, no offence but he's better than your level and needs a move that allows him to prove it.

1 minute ago, ayrmad said:

Why, if he headed to your lot it would show a distinct lack of ambition, no offence but he's better than your level and needs a move that allows him to prove it.

Was just asking the question. He showed great potential with us and got the move but it didn't seem to work out so just wondering if he was playing well or another player who thinks he better than he is. 

2 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

I suspect Sons Fan was more asking out of interest for a former player, he's a cracking guy and still has plenty of friends at the Rock.

I'd love to see him win a move back to the Premier League. 

Archived