Ayr United - 17-18 rumblings and mumblings

To be fair I’d much rather see Faulds given a go, but will never happen under McCall. He’d get a loan signing in from another teams youth academy. If Rose is out tomorrow I’d have Bell CB with Faulds and Adams CM.

Faulds has came on twice recently and done nothing but constantly give the ball away. If the player from another teams youth academy is better then I don't really have an issue playing them. To be fair, the whole team were hiding at that point against Arbroath but would rather Gilmour played.

However players like Faulds should be on loan in league two to gain experience and try and show that they are up to it. We literally never do this. We have young guys on the outskirts who don't get enough playing time then they get released.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Faulds was poor when he came on basically because once Higgins went off, no one seemed to have a clue what was happening and who was playing where, we were almost playing a 4-2-4 with Adams and him in the middle and we were over-run. I heard a couple of folk shout at him because he gave the ball away and he ended up either hospital passing it to someone 2 feet away or booting it up the park.

If we weren't in a situation where every time an opposition player has a shot on target we concede, I am sure some of the younger players would have been bled in gradually. 

4 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

And the last few replies is why our home record is appalling and our young players don’t excel at Somerset. A stern pumping tomorrow might open the eyes of some to where the real problems lie with this team.

Don't leave us on  tenerhooks until tomorrow, illuminate us all with your knowledge.

And the last few replies is why our home record is appalling and our young players don’t excel at Somerset. A stern pumping tomorrow might open the eyes of some to where the real problems lie with this team.

Stating that someone played poorly (with mitigating circumstances) is the reason we are so poor at Somerset? Right then.

Did you think Faulds played well when he came on and earned a shot this coming Saturday?

I'm all for giving young players a chance but they need to show something when given the opportunity. I'm sure he will get an opportunity over the next few weeks with the injuries and hopefully he'll show us something.

What are these "real problems?" I imagine any pumping tomorrow will open our eyes to our central defensive deficiencies.

Hopefully our new keeper makes a save , that might make a difference though.

1 minute ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Don't leave us on  tenerhooks until tomorrow, illuminate us all with your knowledge.

McCall has absolutely zero structure with this team. It’s a case of score as much as we can. There’s next to no balance about the squad and our growing constant injury list has to be questioned. Look at his record December - May. He’s taking something like a possible 40 points from 150. The season he came in he won 4 from 17 matches. Season we went up from December - May, lost 12 out of 21 matches. Last season lost 10 out of 23 matches with around 6 draws. This season since December lost 3 out of 8. Why do we slump come Christmas time? Not only that, the same players under McCall go missing with mystery injuries from training. Docherty goes from 50/50, to being on the bench, to not knowing when he’ll be back. What’s the story with that? And Moore gets the constant stick for being a sick note.

Jordan Harts fault though.

McCall has absolutely zero structure with this team. It’s a case of score as much as we can. There’s next to no balance about the squad and our growing constant injury list has to be questioned. Look at his record December - May. He’s taking something like a possible 40 points from 150. The season he came in he won 4 from 17 matches. Season we went up from December - May, lost 12 out of 21 matches. Last season lost 10 out of 23 matches with around 6 draws. This season since December lost 3 out of 8. Why do we slump come Christmas time? Not only that, the same players under McCall go missing with mystery injuries from training. Docherty goes from 50/50, to being on the bench, to not knowing when he’ll be back. What’s the story with that? And Moore gets the constant stick for being a sick note.

I don't think anyone is going to disagree with any of that.

It is quite clearly not remotely entirely Jordan Hart's fault, but he certainly hasn't helped. I genuinely can't remember the last time he made a decent save.

3 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Stating that someone played poorly (with mitigating circumstances) is the reason we are so poor at Somerset? Right then.

Did you think Faulds played well when he came on and earned a shot this coming Saturday?

I'm all for giving young players a chance but they need to show something when given the opportunity. I'm sure he will get an opportunity over the next few weeks with the injuries and hopefully he'll show us something.

No the reason we are poor at home is because IMO the team hate playing there. They are constantly slated from the sidelines, even when winning. Balatoni and Devlin had to have words with fans last year. Our players don’t play with any freedom at Somerset. Look at the difference in results/goals scored/clean sheets between home games and away games and there’s a growing trend.

1 minute ago, No_Problemo said:

I don't think anyone is going to disagree with any of that.

It is quite clearly not remotely entirely Jordan Hart's fault, but he certainly hasn't helped. I genuinely can't remember the last time he made a decent save.

Won us points at QP with double save from a penalty. Won us points away to Arbroath with a triple save at 0-0 right before we scored the opener. Home to Albion and QP I remember him making vital saves. I’m not saying he’s not been without fault in games (Raith away Arbroath at home) but he’s given next to no protection from the defence.

4 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

This isn't the SRE, Hart isn't getting the entirety of the blame, and the reason he is relevant at this moment is because of the clanger last week and the signing of Ruddy. Failure to recognise his mistakes is as bad  as blaming everything on him.

Just now, UpInTheAyr said:

This isn't the SRE, Hart isn't getting the entirety of the blame, and the reason he is relevant at this moment is because of the clanger last week and the signing of Ruddy. Failure to recognise his mistakes is as bad  as blaming everything on him.

See my post above, I recognised where he’s made mistakes. Failure to recognise where he’s won us points which many are doing isn’t doing him any good either. He gets stick for the poor mistakes, but overlooked when he puts in performances.

Just now, callum-ayr said:

No the reason we are poor at home is because IMO the team hate playing there. They are constantly slated from the sidelines, even when winning. Balatoni and Devlin had to have words with fans last year. Our players don’t play with any freedom at Somerset. Look at the difference in results/goals scored/clean sheets between home games and away games and there’s a growing trend.

Been hearing this drivel for years.  The fans of all clubs are hard on their team when they don't deliver.  The Raith fans have been moaning like hell all season for one reason or another.  I do cringe a bit when some numpty starts howling at whoever the current scapegoat happens to be 30 seconds into a match, but I don't believe for one second that Ayr fans are  worse than any others in that respect.  Our home form has been poor because teams have been sitting in against us so we haven't been able to score as freely as in away games while at the same time our defending has been completely inept.  Consistently having to score 3 even 4 goals to win a game is just not sustainable.   

See my post above, I recognised where he’s made mistakes. Failure to recognise where he’s won us points which many are doing isn’t doing him any good either. He gets stick for the poor mistakes, but overlooked when he puts in performances.

I think the truth is obviously somewhere in the middle. Some saying he's the worst keeper we have ever had are talking nonsense. He has had good, and bad moments.

Until Saturday I didn't think we needed a new keeper. He does make rash decisions when charging out at times and makes at least a couple of mistakes from crosses per game. Unfortunately a team going for the title can't afford that. I have no idea about Ruddy, going by the level he has played at (albeit shortly) he should be a big improvement on Hart but we'll find out soon enough.

Allot of our fans are utter c***s but tbh I actually don't think it is as bad now as it was when we had Aitken et al. It happens at every ground, young players unfortunately need to learn to deal with it to be able to make it. I will never agree with abusing any player, never mind a young player though. Takes a sad individual.

4 minutes ago, Mgc1910 said:

Been hearing this drivel for years.  The fans of all clubs are hard on their team when they don't deliver.  The Raith fans have been moaning like hell all season for one reason or another.  I do cringe a bit when some numpty starts howling at whoever the current scapegoat happens to be 30 seconds into a match, but I don't believe for one second that Ayr fans are  worse than any others in that respect.  Our home form has been poor because teams have been sitting in against us so we haven't been able to score as freely as in away games while at the same time our defending has been completely inept.  Consistently having to score 3 even 4 goals to win a game is just not sustainable.   

Teams are not sitting in against us. QP and Albion are 2 prime examples. They came to Somerset and attacked from the 1st minute. Both managing 2 goals, again it was our ability to outscore them that seen us over the line. Forfar I will agree did for a proportion of the game. I just don’t believe our players enjoy playing at Somerset for various reasons and that couples with fans not bothering with going for similar reasons whether folk like to believe it or not.

I for one hope Ruddy does well for us, but I just know as soon as he makes a mistake (I’m more than positive he will make a mistake before the season ends, all keepers do) he doesn’t receive the same levels of abuse other players like Hart, McGuffie etc get from the terraces.

Don’t get me wrong, the players ultimately need to take responsibility. That’s where we neee McCall to get them sorted and he just doesn’t seem to be able to keep them motivated. His interviews are the usual “could have been 4 or 5 up” “Thought we played well enough for 3 points” etc. He never seems irate with the dropped points, almost like he accepts it.

Ian McCall is a complete imposter. There seems to be a deluded view within Scottish Football that he’s too good for our club etc which is total bollocks. The guy is useless, his substitutions are just plain weird at times and his tactics are non-existent. The quicker he’s removed from his position as Ayr United manager the better however I can’t see that happening for a while as he’s Lachlans puppet. 

Archived