Ayr United - 17-18 rumblings and mumblings

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, GavMan_AUFC_1910 said:

I absolutely admire the enthusiasm from Ayr fans who are still confident we can win the league.

Raith have better home league form than league leaders Barcelona, Juventus, Bayern Munich, Man City and Celtic this season. In to the bargain we have Shankland suspended against a team needing probably a point to avoid automatic relegation.

That's fine but none of them are playing Alloa on a regular basis.

Hope everyone who thinks we don't have a chance are proved wrong come 1700 on Saturday.

We all hope we're proved wrong - but I have no idea where you're summoning your optimism from.

Your glass is half full as f**k.

12 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Hope everyone who thinks we don't have a chance are proved wrong come 1700 on Saturday.

We all hope we're wrong but a can of brillo couldn't put the lustre back on that trophy.

That's fine but none of them are playing Alloa on a regular basis.
True. I just feel Ayr are far more likely to slip up than Raith on Saturday! [emoji52]

In September McCall said we are here to finish in the top 2 anyway! [emoji849] Yet, 16 months ago he said 8th in the Championship isn't good enough for Ayr.

True. I just feel Ayr are far more likely to slip up than Raith on Saturday! [emoji52]

In September McCall said we are here to finish in the top 2 anyway! [emoji849] Yet, 16 months ago he said 8th in the Championship isn't good enough for Ayr.

He had big ambitions for what was a part time team and clearly misjudged our own ability and the ability of the other teams in the Championship but it wouldn’t have been great for him to come out and say “yeah we’re probably gonna get relegated this season”. He admitted he was wrong and admitted he was solely responsible for last season.

We were never guaranteed to win the title and it would’ve been equally stupid to come out and say we’re going to win the league. Looking at the situation we’re in now he’ll be glad he only said our aim was to finish in the top 2.

14 minutes ago, somerset_lad said:

He had big ambitions for what was a part time team and clearly misjudged our own ability and the ability of the other teams in the Championship but it wouldn’t have been great for him to come out and say “yeah we’re probably gonna get relegated this season”. He admitted he was wrong and admitted he was solely responsible for last season.

We were never guaranteed to win the title and it would’ve been equally stupid to come out and say we’re going to win the league. Looking at the situation we’re in now he’ll be glad he only said our aim was to finish in the top 2.

He misjudged nothing about ability last season, he just decided to go 6 months without a striker.

He learned so much from that that he decided to go with 1 young goalie for 6 months this season.

He misjudged nothing about ability last season, he just decided to go 6 months without a striker.
He learned so much from that that he decided to go with 1 young goalie for 6 months this season.

He clearly thought a squad with guys like Harkins, Balatoni, Forrest, Docherty and Devlin were good enough to avoid relegation.

He couldn’t foresee Moore missing most of the season and by the time we realised how serious it was the bulk of the budget was gone on bringing in the likes of Harkins and Balatoni.

He experimented with guys like Nisbet and Thomas but they were never going to be good enough.

Although I will agree with you in that the contract situation with Fleming should’ve been handled better.

After Ayr drew 3-3 with Alloa at Somerset McCall said we are here to finish in the top 2.
In his time at Ayr he's just kept changing the tone to make himself look good imo.

Was it that game he first said that. I vaguely remember seeing a post game interview thinking wtf, after all the focus had been on the title.

After Ayr drew 3-3 with Alloa at Somerset McCall said we are here to finish in the top 2.
In his time at Ayr he's just kept changing the tone to make himself look good imo.

He’s not doing it to make himself look good he just doesn’t want to make promises he can’t keep. Even a couple of weeks ago when we were 5 points clear he refused to say we’d won it.

I’ve even seen in Barry Smiths interviews when they were trailing us in the league that he’s gone from saying “win the league” to “gaining promotion”.

Was it that game he first said that. I vaguely remember seeing a post game interview thinking wtf, after all the focus had been on the title.
Yeah. We had picked up 1 point from a possible 9 so he was clearly panicking.
At least he no longer comes out with the remember where we were when I took over etc!

Yeah. We had picked up 1 point from a possible 9 so he was clearly panicking.
At least he no longer comes out with the remember where we were when I took over etc!

Well you can't really can you when you're still in league 1. Hopefully he'll be able to bring it back next season.

54 minutes ago, somerset_lad said:

He clearly thought a squad with guys like Harkins, Balatoni, Forrest, Docherty and Devlin were good enough to avoid relegation.

He couldn’t foresee Moore missing most of the season and by the time we realised how serious it was the bulk of the budget was gone on bringing in the likes of Harkins and Balatoni.

He experimented with guys like Nisbet and Thomas but they were never going to be good enough.

Although I will agree with you in that the contract situation with Fleming should’ve been handled better.

It's his job to make the board find extra funds, I can't be arsed with his Lachlan's a great guy and the chairman puts enough in blah blah blah, I don't mind if him and Lachlan are utter c***s as long as we reach our targets on the pitch.

As for Moore, you shouldn't be going a fortnight without a striker, some teams are straight out for an emergency loan if an important position isn't covered for a game.

Archived