Ayr United - 17-18 rumblings and mumblings

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, pandarilla said:

Well he's obviously going to say that. The opposite would be suicidal. Shankland in the first half would've got us up the park. We were playing it long and nothing was sticking.

He's been brilliant at turning nothing into something.

Isn’t this the problem?  McCall sending a message to the rest of the players that we can’t win without Shankland?  Which is patent nonsense by the way.  Maybe that explains why we looked so lost in the first half.  

You are not wrong Sergei, the second half of this season has been a complete nightmare. However, play-offs can have a dynamic of their own as we've already discovered, and whilst your assessment is perfectly logical, Sons fans won't accept anything less than a fight to maintain our status.

Definitely bud.

There is no chance Dumbarton will just roll over and get your bellies tickled, same goes for Alloa and Arbroath too.

The play offs are going to be fascinating, as is the title weekend next week. Really tough to call.

Been to all 35 games this season but I’m absolutely broken after yesterday and the thought of another 5 games STILL to play including up to Arbroath again....

We’ve got a game against Albion on Saturday which I’m not convinced we will win and may end up meaning nothing... with a cold hard reality of 4 play off games which, if I’m being totally honest, I don’t think we can get through with half a dozen first choice players injured and our current run of form and more crucially performance levels.

I’ve read some Raith fans saying they’re not too bothered about the title, it’s just a means to promotion. It would’ve meant everything to me. Just don’t know how I’m gonna find the energy to battle on into May now....

I’ve read some Raith fans saying they’re not too bothered about the title, it’s just a means to promotion. It would’ve meant everything to me. Just don’t know how I’m gonna find the energy to battle on into May now....

To be fair, I think a lot of that was bluff and bluster after they thought they were out of it.

I back us to beat Albion, and Alloa taking points isn’t out with the realms of possibility but it’s not likely. Plus side is that Reid and Shankland would b back for play offs.

Isn’t this the problem?  McCall sending a message to the rest of the players that we can’t win without Shankland?  Which is patent nonsense by the way.  Maybe that explains why we looked so lost in the first half.  

I thought McCall said that shankland wasn't as big a loss as some were making out? I don't know, it's too painful to go and watch the game again. Immaterial anyway.

I'm still numb, and just trying to put football out of my mind whenever it creeps back in.

Feels very similar to when Scotland only needed to beat Slovenia but couldn't.

It's not really the hope that kills you, it's the fucking expectation. Rovers were dead and buried and we've absolutely bottled it.

Just now, pandarilla said:

Rovers were dead and buried and we've absolutely bottled it.

That’s what hurts so much. I can’t even say “We were unlucky”, “The officials fucked us”, “Things went against us”. 5 clear with 3 to go. We could afford to win just one game, drawing any of the other two. We had EVERY opportunity any team could wish for to win a league and the cold hard truth is that we bottled it big time. It’s as simple as that. Hurts like a b*****d. Hardly slept a wink last night. Just want to lie in a dark room. Instead I have to endure work with football chat. Never felt like this. I just can’t believe it.

I said this was the worst I had felt after an Ayr game - going to upgrade that to the worst I’ve felt after a football game.

When Scotland f**k it up, I’m fine by later that night. No idea why this feels so much worse. Felt physically sick after that yesterday.

There is allot saying the players don’t care on SRE, which quite clearly isn’t the case - they bottled it. I doubt Craig Moore will be feeling any better than I am.

1 minute ago, super_carson said:

To be fair, I think a lot of that was bluff and bluster after they thought they were out of it.

I back us to beat Albion, and Alloa taking points isn’t out with the realms of possibility but it’s not likely. Plus side is that Reid and Shankland would b back for play offs.

Nah, it's all about promotion for me anyway. Seen us win this league twice already. It would be great, but promotion is the absolute priority.

Its all to play for still, a lot has changed in this league in a very short space of time and that can still happen. 

I’ll not be going to the play offs and if McCalls in charge next season I’ll not be going, even if we win them. He’s blown it big time, I’ve not been particularly sold on him this season and winning the league was the only way to keep me on side with him. However here we are again. 

[emoji23][emoji23] what about the amazing travelling support? You guys have won the league on away attendances.

Would genuinely recommend holding on to 4.45 next Saturday before accepting the league is over.  When we drew at Arbroath I was utterly convinced our challenge was dead and buried. Can’t quite believe it is back in our own hands. Both us and Ayr have chucked leads numerous times already this season so who knows it might happen one last time. Hopefully not though. 

Would genuinely recommend holding on to 4.45 next Saturday before accepting the league is over.  When we drew at Arbroath I was utterly convinced our challenge was dead and buried. Can’t quite believe it is back in our own hands. Both us and Ayr have chucked leads numerous times already this season so who knows it might happen one last time. Hopefully not though. 
That's the difference though. You've been given a last chance that was never expected; and the psychology of that is so much better.

This is one of those times I'm glad to live in Dundee and on top of that work with a load of women who hate football. It's easy for me to find distractions, but every now and then it haunts me. I've got a feeling it's going to do that for a long, long time.

That's the difference though. You've been given a last chance that was never expected; and the psychology of that is so much better.

This is one of those times I'm glad to live in Dundee and on top of that work with a load of women who hate football. It's easy for me to find distractions, but every now and then it haunts me. I've got a feeling it's going to do that for a long, long time.

Sadly one of my colleagues is a raith fan and has come bouncing into my room. Going to go hide in a cupboard.

You’re quoting me like I’ve said that? :lol::1eye

I don't really care who said it, it's funny. Not as funny as yesterday was but it all adds to the comedy value. Ayr fans going on about how much support they have and how great they've been supported all season and the same fans not going to bother going to the playoff games because they've bottled it.

Don't ever change lads! [emoji108][emoji108][emoji108]

I said this was the worst I had felt after an Ayr game - going to upgrade that to the worst I’ve felt after a football game.

When Scotland f**k it up, I’m fine by later that night. No idea why this feels so much worse. Felt physically sick after that yesterday.

There is allot saying the players don’t care on SRE, which quite clearly isn’t the case - they bottled it. I doubt Craig Moore will be feeling any better than I am.

Ha ha, I was just saying to someone this morning that it’s utterly shite to support Ayr & Scotland. They’ll both occasionally get your hopes up only to completely destroy them at the worst possible moment.
What’s the polar opposite of a glory hunter? Misery seeker?

Ha ha, I was just saying to someone this morning that it’s utterly shite to support Ayr & Scotland. They’ll both occasionally get your hopes up only to completely destroy them at the worst possible moment.
What’s the polar opposite of a glory hunter? Misery seeker?

Pretty much! At the moment I’ve no idea how I’ll manage to get up for the play offs - hopefully the players don’t feel the same and Shankland comes back with a huge point to prove.

13 minutes ago, SuperHans said:

I don't really care who said it, it's funny. Not as funny as yesterday was but it all adds to the comedy value. Ayr fans going on about how much support they have and how great they've been supported all season and the same fans not going to bother going to the playoff games because they've bottled it.

Don't ever change lads! emoji108.pngemoji108.pngemoji108.png

:lol:

Archived