Ayr United - 17-18 rumblings and mumblings

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In all honesty, I thought today's game was very boring, McCall appears to think that scoring some goals should have us all in raptures, I think it takes a wee bit more than that.

In all honesty, I thought today's game was very boring, McCall appears to think that scoring some goals should have us all in raptures, I think it takes a wee bit more than that.

If there was ANYBODY who was going to post on here complaining after a 4-0 win with us only 4 wins from a guaranteed title, I somehow knew it would be you.

Get a grip man. A manager thinks fans should be excited about a 4 goal win and a first league win in 20 odd years, and this is a bad thing?

2 minutes ago, Hursty said:

If there was ANYBODY who was going to post on here complaining after a 4-0 win with us only 4 wins from a guaranteed title, I somehow knew it would be you.

Get a grip man.

Stating the obvious is not complaining,  we hardly done a thing for the last hour.

Fed up of scoring goals already are you?

Stating the obvious is not complaining,  we hardly done a thing for the last hour.

So what is it that will excite you? Say we cruise to a 3-0 win in the next 3 games without playing well? At this stage i'd suggest the results count more.

5 minutes ago, somerset_lad00 said:

Fed up of scoring goals already are you?

I'll never get fed up watching us scoring but I'm not going to say something was exciting when it wasn't, 

If the main complaint/issue our manager has is a perceived lack of atmosphere at Somerset then I'm ok with that. There are far worse things we could have to complain about.

1600 attendance is nothing spectacular, but we are playing in league one after all. A few seasons back it was not unusual to have sub-1000 crowds at home games, so we have put a good 500 or so regulars on to the gate which is no bad thing.  I remember McCall in an early interview saying that he wanted Somerset Rd end "rocking" with 2000 fans there. Still a bit to go but if he can get us this title win and, more importantly, consolidate us in the Championship, I think we'll get those numbers.

I'll never get fed up watching us scoring but I'm not going to say something was exciting when it wasn't, 

But wouldn’t you agree that a 4-0 victory and it taking us a step closer to the title is exciting.

The football wasn’t breathtaking (apart from
Shanklands hat trick) but as Hursty said at this time of the season it’s more about winning games.

I do accept however that the reason for the lack of atmosphere might be down to nerves. The closer we get to the title the nervier it will become so that’s understandable.

6 minutes ago, somerset_lad00 said:

But wouldn’t you agree that a 4-0 victory and it taking us a step closer to the title is exciting.

The football wasn’t breathtaking (apart from
Shanklands hat trick) but as Hursty said at this time of the season it’s more about winning games.

I do accept however that the reason for the lack of atmosphere might be down to nerves. The closer we get to the title the nervier it will become so that’s understandable.

Of course getting closer to the title is exciting.

As for this time of season, I personally feel most of the season has been about goals, I've certainly never felt the urge to tell anyone that they're missing out by not going.

We've not got the best attacking force I've watched in Ayr strips but we've certainly got the most clinical bunch I've watched, without whom I don't think we'd be near a title.

Of course getting closer to the title is exciting.
As for this time of season, I personally feel most of the season has been about goals, I've certainly never felt the urge to tell anyone that they're missing out by not going.
We've not got the best attacking force I've watched in Ayr strips but we've certainly got the most clinical bunch I've watched, without whom I don't think we'd be near a title.

I’ve heard fans saying that without Shankland we’d still have won the title as Moore would’ve been playing. Not a chance. Moore is a goal scorer whereas Shankland is the best striker I’ve ever seen in an Ayr shirt so without him we wouldn’t have won this league.

I’ve heard fans saying that without Shankland we’d still have won the title as Moore would’ve been playing. Not a chance. Moore is a goal scorer whereas Shankland is the best striker I’ve ever seen in an Ayr shirt so without him we wouldn’t have won this league.

Shankland has been the difference this season. Vaughan’s got about 22/23 goals this season but only 12/13 have been in the league.

Still an excellent return considering he’s been playing CM since October until yesterday, but still Shankland has been the difference this season.

Anyone who thinks ayr would be top without shanks is knows bugger all about football.

I can see both sides of the atmosphere debate. It's incredibly frustrating that we can't get more fans through the gates and get the place rocking.

But at the same time I've said all year that we're not playing well but scoring goals. We play well in sparse bursts, but mainly go direct to the beautiful big fella up top.

Slightly unfair to compare the home and away atmosphere as much of that is down to alcohol. Great win today which didn’t really match the performance and clinical finishing made the difference. Does anyone know if Docherty will be back for next week?  The starting line up today should be ok for home games  but I would be less confident away from home. 

40 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Anyone who thinks ayr would be top without shanks is knows bugger all about football.

I can see both sides of the atmosphere debate. It's incredibly frustrating that we can't get more fans through the gates and get the place rocking.

But at the same time I've said all year that we're not playing well but scoring goals. We play well in sparse bursts, but mainly go direct to the beautiful big fella up top.

The point around being top of the league and  Shankland signing is not as clear cut as you make out. Had a proper goalkeeper arrived instead then it is also possible we would be top of the league. 

McCall has been nipping away all season about a lack of atmosphere.  Not sure why the manager would pick this moment to make an issue of it again.  The hard truth is that our support has been eroded to a hardcore of 1200-1500.  That number should grow with a successful team and being in a league where the opposition bring an away support, but that's where we are and it's not going to be fixed overnight.  Having a go at the folk who actually show up just makes McCall sound a bit chippy.   Personally, I've found for a few years now that I enjoy away games more as we tend to take good numbers if we're doing well - Brechin in the playoffs will live long in the memory!

As with so many other things, I don't think it's just Ayr who have these issues - my mate is a Hamilton fan and he often talks about the lack of numbers and atmosphere despite them having a sustained period in the SPL.

Really grown to dislike McCall over his tenure. He doesn’t help himself with comments like that. We played 3 away games in 6 days, totalling a round trip of over 600 miles travel, taking around 1000 fans to they games and has a go. Maybe if he had organised himself a bit more last season, we’d be in the Championship this year with teams bringing a support who help the home end athmosphere. 3-0 up at half time yesterday, the games by. A lot would have been keeping an eye on the Raith result.

Archived