Ayr United - 17-18 rumblings and mumblings

At the very least, Rose and Higgins were too similar.  Both want to sweep, neither wanted to go and meet the ball.  Bell seems to offer a much better balance.

Think you could say both of them also tried playing out from the back too much. Ended up with one of them losing the ball trying to play nice football.

Bell is good on the ball but he knows when to get rid of it instead of trying to be clever.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, Honestmen said:

If we continue our current form on the 7th of april we could land the title. We have a tough game away to Airdrie while RR are away to Arbroath.

Good god that has the potential to be a riot, doubt it would (if it does) happen it would be that early.

Would be brilliant to do it at home to Stranraer on 14th April, would make the POTY that night interesting...

6 minutes ago, somerset_lad00 said:

If we won it at Airdrie would it be presented to us at home against Stranraer or would we have to wait until the last game of the season against Albion Rovers?

Would be the last game i'm pretty sure, usually what happens.

If we won it at Airdrie would it be presented to us at home against Stranraer or would we have to wait until the last game of the season against Albion Rovers?

This kind of talk should be banned. Too many opportunities to mess it up!!!0

4 minutes ago, JohnGAYR said:

Aye, the title has been claimed/conceded at least 4 times already this season on here.

50 minutes ago, JohnGAYR said:

We will win the league if we have more points than the nine other teams in the league.

Or they cannot catch us with a points total including games they have to play.

So lets just play one game at a time until  that happens.

8 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

People getting their knickers in a twist over a couple of fans discussing when/where they’d like to win the league. Dearie me. 

I would just like to win it, 49 and a half years going and I've witnessed  a league win twice, they aren't dished out, you have to earn them over a full season.

If only we could enjoy the run in knowing that it was going to turn out all right!!!

Would be so good for the youngsters to experience a league win.

Think this season, on reflection, will have been one of the best for a long time.

Cup runs kept us going for a few years, as well as playoffs, but a league win would definitely be a big boost.

Is there anyone in the squad, excluding the ex Pars, that have experience of winning a league title? Has McCall?

McCall built the Falkirk team that won the league in 2003. Left half way through that season for Dundee United but they were well ahead at that point.

Apart from that the guys in our squad that have won the league are all ex Pars. There’s only 6 players that are left from the promotion winning team from two years ago.

McCall built the Falkirk team that won the league in 2003. Left half way through that season for Dundee United but they were well ahead at that point.

Apart from that the guys in our squad that have won the league are all ex Pars. There’s only 6 players that are left from the promotion winning team from two years ago.

Mark Kerr was a regular for Falkirk that season too. Obviously he's an ex Par too but didn't win this league with them.

Was it just Geggan, Moffat and Reid who won it with Dunfermline 2 years ago?

According to his Wikipedia page Paddy Boyle won the bottom league with Dumbarton - I didnt even know he had played for them.

If we include injured players Higgins won leagues with Dunfermline and QOS too.

When you think about it, we really do love signing ex Dunfermline players!

Mark Kerr was a regular for Falkirk that season too. Obviously he's an ex Par too but didn't win this league with them.

According to his Wikipedia page Paddy Boyle won the bottom league with Dumbarton - I didnt even know he had played for them.

Stevie Bell also won this league with Stirling a while back and played in the Championship with Dunfermline.

58 minutes ago, Hursty said:

When you think about it, we really do love signing ex Dunfermline players!

Was Shankland not in the Dunfermline team that season?

After the rollercoaster season so far for both Ayr and Raith I'm not assuming anything until we have mathematically got the league won. We just need one slip up and a Raith victory and it's back to being anyone's league again. Squeaky bum time.

We do seem to be hitting form though, but as Ayr fans we have plenty of previous that can bring back the fear. I still recall the Brian Reid season in the Championship when we seemed totally safe from relegation then lost something like 9 out of 10 to go down without a whimper. Or last year when we were miles ahead of St Mirren at xmas yet still blew it.

A title win would be absolutely fantastic and so much more preferable than to go up via the playoffs. Long overdue a title. Come on ye Ayr.

Archived