Ayr United - 17-18 rumblings and mumblings

Soccerbase states Balatoni played two games for Airdrie as a trial its at the start of the season. I don’t think he can play for another team this season.

Don’t think trials count as he wasn’t registered as an Airdrie player.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

McGuigan 1978, I've been studying at the school of Jose Mourinho recently, although I don't think I blamed the ref today and only gave the Airdrie one a passing reference.  Missed the defeats to Arbroath and Raith.  First was well deserved by all accounts, second less so. Goalie presented you with two easy goals.  At Airdrie I thought we played not bad but got nothing.  Happens.  You lot were apparently total shit at Airdrie and still scraped a point.  Maybe that's why Raith  will probably win the league.  That bit more grit and not so soft centred. Today was simply unbelievable. Most ludicrous capitulation I have ever  witnessed in my many, many years of watching Ayr.  Keep hoping I'll wake up at any moment and find out it was just a nightmare  brought on by all this Christmas boozing and overeating.  Sorry for the lack of capitals.

Fingers crossed there’s another Ayr match thread that contains the word, Invincibles soon, with JM86 claiming the fifth defeat of the season is a one off. In capitals.

He didn't say that, he said today we were 'ridiculously unlucky'.

I've discussed this issue a lot regarding Scotland (where luck is an even bigger factor due you the fewer games). And just to be clear, it's not about giant slices of luck here and there - it's the little things that can go for you or against you in so many aspects of the match.

Far, far too many football fans treat the game like it's a science - choose option A, get result B. But it's more a case of percentages.

He didn't say that, he said today we were 'ridiculously unlucky'.

I've discussed this issue a lot regarding Scotland (where luck is an even bigger factor due you the fewer games). And just to be clear, it's not about giant slices of luck here and there - it's the little things that can go for you or against you in so many aspects of the match.

Far, far too many football fans treat the game like it's a science - choose option A, get result B. But it's more a case of percentages.

“WAS a one off freak” was the quote, which I’m starting to suspect isn’t the case, as unlucky defeats appear to be punctuating your season.

“WAS a one off freak” was the quote, which I’m starting to suspect isn’t the case, as unlucky defeats appear to be punctuating your season.

That was the first defeat where we we could’ve taken 5 or 6 off them. The Arbroath and Airdrie games we were just shite plain and simple and the Raith game we probably could’ve got another goal but again the keeper cost us that game.

I’m not kidding when I say that some of the saves the Forfar keeper pulled off were some of the best saves I’ve seen in the flesh. I ended up applauding some of the saves he made they were that good.

Just the way it is when you support a team though and the way you see it.

Someone’s just said the reason they lost the game to us for example is because they played shite, whilst that’s probably true the reason for them playing shite is also us playing well.

Some result for Forfar that though, makes things interesting at the top.

Just the way it is when you support a team though and the way you see it.

Someone’s just said the reason they lost the game to us for example is because they played shite, whilst that’s probably true the reason for them playing shite is also us playing well.

Some result for Forfar that though, makes things interesting at the top.

Yeah I didn’t mean it that way. We were poor that day and you were the better team well worth a win but I was just using it as an example to illustrate that it wasn’t a case of us being unlucky.

10 hours ago, somerset_lad00 said:

Played centre half for us in both spells. Last season he was pretty decent but made a couple of errors resulting in giving away cheap goals. Namely two penalties away at Dunfermline and Falkirk.

His last game was away at Hibs in the Scottish Cup when he got sent off for a waist high tackle on John McGinn. Think he was pissed off at his lack of game time but admitted he made mistakes. He would’ve been a better player in a better team as we were shit last season in every department.

I’ve seen a few of his performances this season and I’ve been impressed every time.

Cheers and good luck this season. I love coming to Somerset. When I was down at the League Cup match last season, it didn’t seem to have changed since my first visit in 1970!

20 minutes ago, mugen_power said:

What about the fact we had 12 corners in the 2nd half (about 6 in the space of 5 mins) and done absolutely f**k all with any of them...infact we let Forfar break and get well into our box from one of them

How many times has our defenders come up for a corner and then we end up trying a short corner and we #### it up.  This has happened a lot this year.

The usual over reaction to a bit of a freak result, although granted it doesn't help that it's come on the back of the Airdrie defeat coupled with us being 2-0 up and cruising with less than 20 mins remaining.

Let's look clearly at things though, we are still top of the league (although Raith obviously have their games in hand) and we're absolutely miles ahead of the rest. We have been scoring goals for fun and providing lots of excitement for the fans, however anyone reading the last couple of pages of this thread, without seeing a league table, would think that we were fighting off relegation !!

As for our defending, Yes, it isn't great, but at any level of football if you play open attacking football then you will always leave yourself open at the back, would people rather us have 10 men behind the ball and try and scrape 1-0 wins ?? Have people forgotten about the last 4 or 5 seasons ??

As for Balatoni, well, Falkirk are struggling badly at the bottom of the Championship and he's hardly even been getting a game and I don't remember him saving us from relegation either, in fact most on here were overjoyed when we signed Chris Higgins and thought he'd be an upgrade on Balatoni.

Maybe some of us just need to accept that we aren't Man City or PSG and that we will inevitably lose and draw games, furthermore we haven't had our fully fit 1st choice midfield in months and the fact that we're still where we are in the league speaks volumes for our Manager and squad, so come on, let's look forward to 2018, getting back on track at Stranraer and winning automatic promotion back to where we belong........................

The usual over reaction to a bit of a freak result, although granted it doesn't help that it's come on the back of the Airdrie defeat coupled with us being 2-0 up and cruising with less than 20 mins remaining.
Let's look clearly at things though, we are still top of the league (although Raith obviously have their games in hand) and we're absolutely miles ahead of the rest. We have been scoring goals for fun and providing lots of excitement for the fans, however anyone reading the last couple of pages of this thread, without seeing a league table, would think that we were fighting off relegation !!
As for our defending, Yes, it isn't great, but at any level of football if you play open attacking football then you will always leave yourself open at the back, would people rather us have 10 men behind the ball and try and scrape 1-0 wins ?? Have people forgotten about the last 4 or 5 seasons ??
As for Balatoni, well, Falkirk are struggling badly at the bottom of the Championship and he's hardly even been getting a game and I don't remember him saving us from relegation either, in fact most on here were overjoyed when we signed Chris Higgins and thought he'd be an upgrade on Balatoni.
Maybe some of us just need to accept that we aren't Man City or PSG and that we will inevitably lose and draw games, furthermore we haven't had our fully fit 1st choice midfield in months and the fact that we're still where we are in the league speaks volumes for our Manager and squad, so come on, let's look forward to 2018, getting back on track at Stranraer and winning automatic promotion back to where we belong........................

Don’t know if Balatoni is an upgrade on Higgins. But he’s definitely an upgrade on Rose.

12 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

That wasn't so much of a freak result, the way our defence has been lately coupled by an inferior keeper has cost us big time. The last 2 results have been coming I'm afraid.
On the Higgins/Balatoni debate, I would have Balatoni any day. However don't think it's likely to happen.

I agree that we've been riding our luck recently, however 2-0 up at home to the team at the bottom of the league, with less than 20 mins remaining and absolutely pounding them, to then end up with a 3-2 defeat surely is a bit of a freak result.

Hopefully, not to be repeated...............

Archived