Ayr United - 17-18 rumblings and mumblings

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 in 10 now. I bet i'm not the only one who checks this thread daily waiting to hear that Shankland has signed beyond January...

It’s hugely impressive

What’s equally impressive is that we’ve scored 65 goals in 21 games and it’s only November. We’ll score well over 100 this season but it’ll only be worth it if we win the league and to do that we need Shankland.

It’s hugely impressive

What’s equally impressive is that we’ve scored 65 goals in 21 games and it’s only November. We’ll score well over 100 this season but it’ll only be worth it if we win the league and to do that we need Shankland.

Maybe it's just 'good' timing that this is the season that i've had to chuck amateur fitba due to the knee and therefore see Ayr more often but I love this team. Last time i enjoyed our style of play this much was the late 90's when i was at school, hence the username.

Shankland has to stay. He is a class above this level with his hold up / link up play. And clearly knows where the goals are

Of those 65 two were own goals, then there was the 5 scored in the penalty shoot-out against Montrose, taking it to 70. Rose & Reid are the only two first teamers yet to score. Can see Rose getting one soon, either from a free kick or a header. 

Raith on the end of another 3-0 humping at the hands of the the Ayr B team today. Long may it continue.

Moore:   15  

Shankland:  12

Moffat:  8

McDaid:  8  

Geggan:   5

Crawford:  4

Adams:  2

Higgins:  2

McGuffie:   1

Gilmour:   1

McCowan:   1

Forrest:   1

Murphy:   1

Boyle:   1

Docherty:  1

Own Goal: 2

Penalty shoot-out

Rose, McGuffie, Moore, Forrest, Geggan

Maybe it's just 'good' timing that this is the season that i've had to chuck amateur fitba due to the knee and therefore see Ayr more often but I love this team. Last time i enjoyed our style of play this much was the late 90's when i was at school, hence the username.

Shankland has to stay. He is a class above this level with his hold up / link up play. And clearly knows where the goals are

The fact that Shankland has run riot in this league but never really performed in the Championship shows that he’s finally making an effort to be better or there is a bigger gulf in class between the two leagues than we thought.

I think we’ll do well to hang to him until the end of the season let alone next season.

Of those 65 two were own goals, then there was the 4 scored in the penalty shoot-out against Montrose, taking it to 69. Rose & Reid are the only two first teamers yet to score. Can see Rose getting one soon, either from a free kick or a header. 
Raith on the end of another 3-0 humping at the hands of the the Ayr B team today. Long may it continue.
Moore:   15  
Shankland:  12
Moffat:  8
McDaid:  8  
Geggan:   5
Crawford:  4
Adams:  2
Higgins:  2
McGuffie:   1
Gilmour:   1
McCowan:   1
Forrest:   1
Murphy:   1
Boyle:   1
Docherty:  1
Own Goal: 2
Penalty shoot-out
Rose, McGuffie, Moore, Forrest, Geggan

Rose has been knocking on the door a few times this season. He’s been getting chances at set pieces and he can clearly take them as well. He’d be my choice as the penalty taker when we next get one.

The fact that Shankland has run riot in this league but never really performed in the Championship shows that he’s finally making an effort to be better or there is a bigger gulf in class between the two leagues than we thought.

I think we’ll do well to hang to him until the end of the season let alone next season.

I was also really surprised to see he is a year younger than Craig Moore. I assumed he was 24 or 25 or so considering how long he had been around. If we could go up with (and keep) the 3 strikers we have just now i'd be delighted

Rose has been knocking on the door a few times this season. He’s been getting chances at set pieces and he can clearly take them as well. He’d be my choice as the penalty taker when we next get one.

Agree with Rose on pens. He will end up with 2 or more goals this season no doubt.

Scottish cup draw on Monday, are the top league teams in the draw? Could do with a money spinner to stick a wedge in Shankland's pocket for another 18 months service please

I’d take one of the lower Premiership teams. Potential money spinner and a chance of getting through.

Not Killie though. I feel that drawing them and then losing would take away from the victory at the start of the season. Hearts or Dundee maybe.

3 minutes ago, somerset_lad00 said:

I’d take one of the lower Premiership teams. Potential money spinner and a chance of getting through.

Not Killie though. I feel that drawing them and then losing would take away from the victory at the start of the season. Hearts or Dundee maybe.

Hearts would be a good shout.

Please not Hibs again.

Killie?

Away from home, get a draw and pap them out in the replay.

Money might talk for Shanks and every penny might count. Could see someone like Dundee take a punt on him if they are still struggling at the wrong end come January. 

Hearts would be a good shout.
Please not Hibs again.
Killie?
Away from home, get a draw and pap them out in the replay.
Money might talk for Shanks and every penny might count. Could see someone like Dundee take a punt on him if they are still struggling at the wrong end come January. 

A wee run to the Quarter finals like last year would do finishing in a game up at Celtic Park or Ibrox.

I’m sure McCall said a while ago that he had money left in case of an emergency but was maybe spending it on a midfielder (loan probably). Don’t know about him but I’d chuck it at Shankland. You then run the risk of two or three midfielders getting injured and no money for cover.

12 hours ago, somerset_lad00 said:

It’s hugely impressive

I'm sure it's the most goals scored by a team so far in the British leagues

14 hours ago, somerset_lad00 said:

A wee run to the Quarter finals like last year would do finishing in a game up at Celtic Park or Ibrox.

I’m sure McCall said a while ago that he had money left in case of an emergency but was maybe spending it on a midfielder (loan probably). Don’t know about him but I’d chuck it at Shankland. You then run the risk of two or three midfielders getting injured and no money for cover.

I just have this feeling we're going to get Celtic away in the next round.

Archived