Ayr United - 17-18 rumblings and mumblings

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, AyrTroopMajor said:

Well done on organising all that Gavin.

Was gutted I couldn't play last night, but having looked out the window at 7pm last night and seeing the monsoon that was occuring, at least I saved myself from the inevitable wet arse that I'm sure a few players suffered! 

VLC.

Was a good night despite the weather. I fully expected to fall on my arse but that never happened, so that's always a bonus.

Not impressed by Shankland when I've seen him come up against us.  There obviously was a player there at some point though so maybe he will be of sone use.  Away in January if hes shite so not the worst deal. 

Clearly can be a good player, ultimately he still scored 4 in 16 in the league above for Morton last season - although he was obviously dreadful for St Mirren after being excellent there in his first spell.

Unfortunately I don't really recall us ever getting the best out of a player like this.

1 hour ago, No_Problemo said:

Clearly can be a good player, ultimately he still scored 4 in 16 in the league above for Morton last season - although he was obviously dreadful for St Mirren after being excellent there in his first spell.

Unfortunately I don't really recall us ever getting the best out of a player like this.

keiganparker.jpg

Seems to be mixed opinions around Shankland but a decent enough player to hopefully come good. Thought we didn't have a pot to piss in so surprised to see another player come in. Going by the stats goalscoring isn't our problem to date so would much rather a defender signed as still undecided whether they will cut it or not.

5 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

Tbf, St Mirren made Ryan Hardie look dreadful when the season before, and even at the tail end of last season he was still scoring. 

Declan McManus banged in about 22 goals at this level and couldn't score at the level above. Even the same could be said for Spence and Buchanan for us. There's a world of difference between the opportunities and how naive defenders are at this level compared to the championship. 

Shankland looks like a waste of a wage to me, unless Moore is out long term which I've seen no suggestion that he is.  If we are serious about competing for the title, the priority must be a centre back, with goalkeeper a close 2nd.  

Shankland looks like a waste of a wage to me, unless Moore is out long term which I've seen no suggestion that he is.  If we are serious about competing for the title, the priority must be a centre back, with goalkeeper a close 2nd.  

Based on what? Everybody has been moaning that we dont have a plan b or backup up front. Now we do

Just now, Hursty said:

Based on what? Everybody has been moaning that we dont have a plan b or backup up front. Now we do

Based on the fact that we've been scoring goals for fun while at the same time our defence has looked ropey whenever a gust of wind blows in its general direction.  If we only had budget for one player until at least Jsnuary, then I'd suggest our priorities should have been a centre half, then a goalkeeper, then a plan B striker.  To be blunt, Shankland looks like a typical McCall signing - he's available, so we signed him.  I hope I'm wrong, but the last time I saw Shankland he looked 2 stone overweight and 2 yards off the pace.  Presumably he hasn't done a proper pre-season either.  

Listened to the game courtesy of AU Media and prior to the game I expected a side without 5 regular starters to be brushed aside quite easily by the title favourites.

That was most definitely not the case and if we can perform consistently over the course of the season, we'll be right there at the business end of the season.

It sounds as though Hart was at fault for both goals after previous misgivings in recent weeks. With no real cover other than young Avici, McCall has no choice other than to source another keeper to offer competition for the starting jersey. Hart might prove to be very able in time but he needs to be pushed.

Encouraging that despite the absentees, Ayr turned up today, here's hoping the last couple of weeks were off days and nothing more.

Archived