Ayr United - 17-18 rumblings and mumblings

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gav posted on the SRE FB that there's no more money to spend on players. With his footgolf event back and the 500 fund hopefully they're able to raise enough to bring in 1 or 2 players at the mid-season window. Could make all the difference come the end of season.

1 hour ago, Mgc1910 said:

To be fair, Duffy was a decent striker.  At 33 he might still have a season left in him.  Surprised if St Mirren are genuinely interested - they must be desperate.

image.jpg

Law of averages...one of them will need to be good eventually 

Having a reputation as a 'man of many clubs' doesn't exactly inspire confidence however...to me it points to more of an attitude or fitness issue

What will happen is we'll sign him on the basis he improves his fitness and he'll be very promising in a few games. Then McCall will take a punt on him before he inevitably turns into utter dug meat

Although at least the gaffer wouldn't be trying to build a team around him

I just really hope that we don't shit the bed when it comes to the league after all this positivity in the cup. I remember going out to east Stirling in this cup and doing well in the league but can't remember doing well and having a good crack at promotion!

Would Duffy come and play second fiddle ? I seriously wouldn't be wanting the Moffat & Moore partnership broken up and McDaid has also formed a great understanding with them. Ok, we maybe need another experienced striker but we do have options at the moment and personally speaking it's the first time in a long time that I'm pretty pleased with our squad as it stands.

It would maybe be a better idea to keep our powder dry and only buy someone who will really make a difference as opposed to just bolstering the squad or buying someone as "cover".

20 minutes ago, ryanayr1987 said:

Do you think someone like shankland could come in as cover or as something different. I see he is still available on a free

I'm thinking that with our personnel we have a few options, if for the sake of arguing that Moffat or Moore were unavailable. We could play 1 up top but have Forrest or even McGuffie linking up or we could have a complete formation change with the likes of Geggan playing in between the midfield and striker. Failing that we could and probably should give one of the younger boys a chance. 

Given the choice, I'd always like us to play with wingers and 2 strikers however if needs must I do think we're pretty flexible squad wise this year.

Not sure McCall has forgiven him after jilting us last season.

I kind of understand why he wouldn't have wanted to sign for us last season, we were part time struggling for form and Morton were full time and flying high.

I'd much rather have him than Duffy

Maybe McCall can forgive him so we can have a capable striker that can offer something different to Moore and moffat. He also did well for Dunfermline the last time he was in this league

Archived