Ayr United - 17-18 rumblings and mumblings

Agreed really pleased with what I saw from him today and every other time I saw him in midfield last year tbh(not that I saw Ayr much last season)

Don't get why everyone is so down on him he did well when called upon

ETA: was really impressed with mcdaid too if he'd played like that last season we would have stayed in the championship!

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting from McCall in the interview, says that Adams will probably have to play right centre back because Rose and Reid will be out.

Where does he see Ferguson playing then if not centre back? Can't see him signing him for RB if we've got Geggan and Reid covering that area.

Interesting from McCall in the interview, says that Adams will probably have to play right centre back because Rose and Reid will be out.

Where does he see Ferguson playing then if not centre back? Can't see him signing him for RB if we've got Geggan and Reid covering that area.

Kind of makes you think he is backup to Boyle. We do need that but it seems like the "imminent signing news" yesterday was just a ploy to sell more tickets

Kind of makes you think he is backup to Boyle. We do need that but it seems like the "imminent signing news" yesterday was just a ploy to sell more tickets

Yeah was very underwhelming. At least McCall is planning in case of injures, I think we've not got at least two players who can cover every position although I'd still like another out and out striker come off the bench.

Now that the game is over you'd hope that performance will convince some of last years support to renew their season tickets and hopefully encourage others to come along even if it is the other league cup game or the occasional league match.

As I've said before it doesn't matter how much you advertise the games the best way to get folk through the turnstiles is by putting on great performances and winning matches and a victory over your local rivals is the best way to do that.

I appreciate McCall might not have wanted to pitch McGuffie into an Ayrshire derby, but going forward, Crawford or Gilmour down the left side is not the answer.

Horses for courses I hope.

Other than that, good stuff all over the pitch. Geggan was tremendous, can't help but think what impetus & drive he would offer though, if played through the middle.

McDaid, Moffat & Moore already seem to have developed an understanding even though it's early days.

Just now, North Terrace Gazza said:

I was on the north terrace last night and the guy next to me thought there used to be seating where the hospitality is. I tried to assure him that there was never seating there. Shows how long it's been since he graced the noble old lady with his presence

He's probably remembering sitting on the small wall at the back of that terracing back in the day.

Just now, North Terrace Gazza said:

He claimed he was sitting there in a cup game against Dundee United can't believe you would see much from there but who knows?

I don't think you could sit there and get a view of the game back in the day unless the crowd was small.

I appreciate McCall might not have wanted to pitch McGuffie into an Ayrshire derby, but going forward, Crawford or Gilmour down the left side is not the answer.

Other than that, good stuff all over the pitch. Geggan was tremendous, can't help but think what impetus & drive he would offer though, if played through the middle.

McDaid, Moffat & Moore already seem to have developed an understanding even though it's early days.

Think our best central midfield pairing is going to be Docherty and Geggan - I don't mind Crawford being out wide anyway as he's good there. McDaid and Crawford out wide has a nice balance to it I think - not too predictable. McDaid's performance last night is what we have been missing for years.

Going by McCalls comments he seems happy with a defensive pairing of Rose and Higgins which could see Reid out at RB with Geggan in midfield. It's difficult to have Adams out the team especially with that performance but I think the team will chop and change over the course of the season depending on who we play and what injuries we have.

I was only watching on TV unfortunately but I wasn't overly impressed by either of our two strikers.

Don't get me wrong, they worked very hard for the team and that was crucial. But a lot of heavy touches, wee mistakes, and very little link up play from what I could see.

For me, everything good going forward came from mcdaid. And the maradona run by Crawford obvs.

Archived