Ayr United - 17-18 rumblings and mumblings

So we're back to the pishy wee league for at least another season, where do we go from here? McCall more than likely staying, Full Time a realistic option? Who we keeping and who's being binned?

Positive, back to Arbroath, day out at Hampden and possibly Annan.

Negative, back to Stranraer, Albion and possibly Airdrie.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Under contract for next year:

Fleming
Boyle
McGuffie
Harkins
Gilmour

Would love to keep Devlin but he seems to be offski, mumbling at the awards dinner from McCall was pretty much 'enjoy him while you can'.  Would keep Meggat, but will have suitors elsewhere, and the same with Doc.  Think Crawford would do fine in League One but I'm somewhat on the fence about Alan Forrest.  

Hart looked good today, for the short spell he was involved in, but with Fleming under contract he may go elsewhere unless he's number 1 as he's good enough certainly at League One level I would think?

Shouldn't this thread be moved to the League 1 sub now?

Are you sure Gilmour is still under contract, did he get a 2 year deal at the start of the season, I fucking hope not, he's been rank this season.

4 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Shouldn't this thread be moved to the League 1 sub now?

Are you sure Gilmour is still under contract, did he get a 2 year deal at the start of the season, I fucking hope not, he's been rank this season.

I'm afraid he did. We can't post in league 1 forum till GTF day. 

I may be reading far too much into it, but I would suggest McCall's post match interview suggests he is going to try and get rid of Harkins. One of the biggest wage thieves we've had in a long time.

3 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

I may be reading far too much into it, but I would suggest McCall's post match interview suggests he is going to try and get rid of Harkins. One of the biggest wage thieves we've had in a long time.

He was my initial thought but he described him as wonderful a few weeks back. Hopefully Gilmour is another one shown the door. 

How can McCall possibly stay on as manager. It's not just that we finished bottom, but when you take into consideration the stats, style of football, players signed, going 4 months without a league win, the last 6 games.

Managers have been sacked for much much less. And the Chairman's bit about believing in giving managers time and how they're sacked far too easily these days.... well, giving McCall to the end of the season covers that. No one could accuse the club of not being supportive, most other teams would have probably sacked him in January or definitely at the end of the season.

League title has to be the target, nothing less. If that doesn't happen then McCall can go. He said in his interview that he's going to get to work straight away on getting us back up and will only keep players that will work hard and put in the best pre season of there life so that sounds promising.

Looking at the squad list I think we'll definitely lose Devlin, Balatoni and Fleming. Devlin is a foregone conclusion and probably has a deal in place right now. I've heard rumours that Motherwell were looking at Fleming and I wouldn't be surprised to see Championship teams after him. McCall made it clear that Balatoni was looking at a move abroad and was only here for one year.

We should be able to keep Forrest and McGuffie as McCall said he would be building a team around them if we went down and they're the most promising players in the team. Docherty is a strange one as he may have suitors but they might be put off by his proneness to injury and the fact that he never really reached the heights this season that he did last season. Crawford and Rose are suited to League 1 so they will stay. Meggat could be convinced but if we lost him I wouldn't be that upset as he's been hot and cold this season. Adams will probably be given an extension as he can play League 1 and is a decent back up to have. Gilmour is under contract but can see McCall moving him on as well as Wardrope. McDaid and McKenzie may stay as they're both young and may have promising futures at the club. Murphy will probably leave but I'd love him to stay for at least one more season as he strolled through last season and his experience is valuable.

So far our squad for next season could be (with some crucial additions)

Hart

New RB New CB Meggat Boyle

Docherty Cairney

Forrest Harkins McGuffie

New Striker

Add to that a back up goalie, defensive cover and one or two back up strikers.

A striker should definitely be the first name in the door as a 25 goal a season striker is hard to come by. Doubt Moore will stay on again given his injuries and McKenzie is nowhere near good enough to be a starter.

Thoughts ??

After watching it Harkins would be the obvious choice, but really, it could apply to just about everyone. Glad to see players aren't just being kept on because they're under contract. Would be surprised if Doc hangs about.

How can McCall possibly stay on as manager. It's not just that we finished bottom, but when you take into consideration the stats, style of football, players signed, going 4 months without a league win, the last 6 games.

Managers have been sacked for much much less. And the Chairman's bit about believing in giving managers time and how they're sacked far too easily these days.... well, giving McCall to the end of the season covers that. No one could accuse the club of not being supportive, most other teams would have probably sacked him in January or definitely at the end of the season.

A lot of the signings looked good at the time - but have just not worked out. That happens with every manager at every level so I'd let him off with that.

The basic stats and playing style can't be disputed - no positives at all!

I'd give him the new season but with a tight leash (sp?)...

After watching it Harkins would be the obvious choice, but really, it could apply to just about everyone. Glad to see players aren't just being kept on because they're under contract. Would be surprised if Doc hangs about.

Thought Harkins as it was immediately after the bit about the hard pre season. No one else on a two year deal has put in such a lack of effort.

ETA would take BRE in a heartbeat, assuming he is over his injury. Excellent at league one level.

Think you's can do good with some of the players released from championship clubs,Especially if yous go full time

We've released players that could do a job in this league nevermind league below,Higgins and Hilson etc

Point I'm making is McCall should be poaching some players right now before there gone

Archived