Stranraer FC 2017-18

3 hours ago, ThePoohBear said:

If you honestly think that attendances is not a priority then a honestly worry for the club. How a club can survive on the average attendance that we are getting and still attract the high quality of player that we have been used to for the past 5-6 years. 

Attendances will always be a priority. Saying they haven’t went down doesn’t mean they aren’t a priority. But you budget to what’s realistic if you want to stay solvent. Stranraer (population of approx 10,000)  and the surrounding areas have a lot of deprivation and a decreasing number of decent jobs. We need to strive to increase attendances further whilst still being realistic. The previous years attendances have to be what you budget to - not what you hope the figures might be. Perhaps we won’t be able to finance the same level of player but that’s better than having no club. Also less money spent doesn’t need to mean a poorer class of player. Like Belford is a decent keeper but am sure we could have found a similar quality keeper closer to home with all the additional costs occurred since he came up here. 

• Replies 757
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Attendances will always be a priority. Saying they havem’t went down doesn’t mean they aeren’t a priority. But you budget to what’s realistic if you want to stay solvent. Stranraer (population of approx 10,000)  and the surrounding areas have a lot of deprivation and that has to be factored in too. We need to strive to increase attendances further whilst still being realistic. Perhaps we won’t be able to finance the same level of player but that’s better than having no club. Also less money spent doesn’t need to mean a poorer class of player. Like Belford is a decent keeper but am sure we could have found a similar quality keeper closer to home with all the additional costs occurred since he came up here. 

You're 100% spot on but what a percentage of your support will fail to grasp (except the realists) is that if cutting your cloth to suit means keeping the club in business, it may also jeapordise results, just ask cowden fans.
FWIW i do hope Stranraer sort themselves out.

Dylan Dykes signed on a development loan from Ross County.

Ex Rangers and goes straight into the squad for tomorrow's game.

Would love a striker as well but I hope these lads have the hunger and desire to get some points on the board for THE BLUES.

GOOD LUCK TOMORROW BOYS.

8 minutes ago, dusty bin said:

Dylan Dykes signed on a development loan from Ross County.

Ex Rangers and goes straight into the squad for tomorrow's game.

Would love a striker as well but I hope these lads have the hunger and desire to get some points on the board for THE BLUES.

GOOD LUCK TOMORROW BOYS.

Agree we need a striker but glad the club are taking there time over it and not rushing it. Good to get another young hungry player in and help the squad numbers out. 

On 12/01/2018 at 08:05, 1870ToonBlue said:

So yes they have known about it from the start of the season he stated that so why let it run till the end of the season, act now and save the club from the same route Jim Bark and co took us down.

Surely if they knew about it at the start of the season the time to act was the start of the season before signings were made, rather than waiting until now which hits you with a double whammy of losing your best players mid-season when they're harder to replace with cheaper alternatives who are still good enough and more importantly letting the financial situation deteriorate further?

There's no way of looking at this which reflects well on the committee.

33 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Surely if they knew about it at the start of the season the time to act was the start of the season before signings were made, rather than waiting until now which hits you with a double whammy of losing your best players mid-season when they're harder to replace with cheaper alternatives who are still good enough and more importantly letting the financial situation deteriorate further?

There's no way of looking at this which reflects well on the committee.

I'd have to agree about doing so at the end of the season. This is also bound to have a knock on effect when it come to player recruitment in the future. Are players really going to want to sign and then worry that they might not be paid?

The club have taken hit with lower numbers in hospitality and not as much uptake on player sponsorship.

The only question I'd have is where has the money went from the recent FC Twente game, Celtic game and the others.  I know we've had better squads and had to pay a manger off but I'd hope there would have been money put away for a rainy day, so to speak.  

Anyway on to the football. With another wide player added to the squad would it be worth while giving Anderson a run up front? Think he has all the attributes. Got goals in his, can beat a man, best in the air I've seen at Stair Park.

On 12/01/2018 at 07:24, tuckersloan said:

I can see both sides of what is being said here. On one hand we have the people who are saying the committee work hard etc etc and emphasising the importance of trying to raise additional funds to help our plight - I don't disagree with any of that and it never achieves a great deal to look back instead of forwards in any walk of life.  On the other hand we have those who feel there are still questions to be answered about what has happened and I can see where they are coming from as well and its obviously important that we learn the lessons this time around.

I don't want to over emphasise this point but its not really a case of getting people "back into stair park" but more a case of starting to manage our expenditure more effectively. Some extra people onto the gate never goes wrong and would help in the current situation but keep mind crowds haven't went down recently and that is not the route cause of the problem. As a club we have received a lot of useful income in recent years from big matches, cup runs and  TV money but its clearly went back out every bit as quickly and our recent expenditure clearly wasn't sustainable once the bonus money stopped coming in. Some of these funds should have been clearly been set aside to safeguard the club's long term future and the money involved was a lot more substantial than what we can hope to raise as a fan group from some of the ideas currently being suggested of Facebook sites etc. Nevertheless the efforts of these fans should be applauded as they clearly have the club's best intentions at heart and that is key in the position we find ourselves in. 

As for whether the fans have the right to know the details or not am honestly not sure and again can see both sides of the argument. What I would say is that Stranraer FC have a small but loyal support. Despite it not being that long ago that we found ourselves in a similar position as a club (albeit things were hopefully a lot worse last time around) I think most fans would like to continue to support the club financially. To maximise our chances of that happening fans need to feel confident that any additional money which  they put in will be put to good use and not spent on ventures which a club of our size clearly can't afford. So forget about what other clubs would do and who is a member or isn't a member and reach out to every single fan in our hour of need because that is what will get their faith back, help everyone move forward and increase our chances of getting more money into the club. I wouldn't for one minute ever question the integrity or work rate of those who are currently on our committee and  do appreciate they will all be hurting as well just now.

One final observation about cost cutting exercises - we have let 5 players go but haven't seen any non-playing staff leave. There seems to be a lot of people in the dug-out and given our current situation would it be possible for 1 or 2 to maybe double up to reduce costs? I realise it takes a lot of people to run a football team these days but can't help but feel we are maybe slightly top heavy in that department and maybe our next step should be letting a coach go rather than a player. 

All of these comments are made as somebody who has supported the club for over 30 years and has the clubs best interests at heart - feel free to disagree. Everyone has different views on the subject (and we all need to respect that) but in the end of the day wants the same things - a Stranraer FC team that is sustainable and as successful as it can be within the parameters it realistically needs to work within. There is a few people on the supposed supporters page who are clearly enjoying seeing the club struggle - might be a good idea just to ignore them.       

Talking good sense as usual Tucker .

On 12/01/2018 at 07:26, 1870ToonBlue said:

Is the whole squad up for sale? If I was to tell you that with the players that have left the club now away and the money from Wallace that the club has balanced its books with the money saved would you believe me?  If the committee have run the club into debt what about the manager? It was his budget.

Pooh Bear great idea and I seen it was shot down by a few but I will pay the £15 aswell.

I wonder who sets the managers budget ? No I wouldn’t believe you because I’ve no idea who you are or where you get the info , hope it’s true but I’m doubtful . Warning , be careful you might be breaking the secrecy act ...

Change the broken record we played football today and won just incase any of you lot what to talk about it...

As said in another post on this. Brilliant win after riding our luck early on. 

Young dykes and lyons looked really good when theh came on. Belford really is a good goalie. Brilliant saves today to keep us in it. 

Really good win. Confidence booster.

Massive well done to okoh today. All talk of us bringing in a striker lately and he finnaly steps up his performance. Yes lucky with both goals but if there was a player that deserves it its possibly him. 

Brilliant positive interview with faz after the game. 

14 minutes ago, ThePoohBear said:

Change the broken record we played football today and won just incase any of you lot what to talk about it...

Oh, wheesht with your barking, you're the broken record.

Anyway, great that Okoh has finally come good.

2 goals and an assist on the 3rd sounds rather more than luck.

Archived