Stranraer FC 2017-18

I'd agree that some of the blame falls at Reid's door but Nade still owed a performance to his team mates, those who paid his wages and those who came along to watch him.

Dumbarton fans decided on wether he should be kept or not. A few saying he needs to prove his fitness before they'd offer him a deal.

I don't think we can afford to run with a half fit player if we don't have to.

Although I should probably take off the Stranraer FC blinkers and get over my bitterness towards anyone who's ever not met my expectations.

Got faith that Faz will sign plenty more good than bad when it comes to it.

• Replies 757
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just fired up Twitter there, and I've seen that Willie Gibson has left you lot. Have to be honest, that's came as a surprise to me as - purely as an outsider - he seemed to be in great form, and playing for a club he has a strong relationship with.

On Nadé, exactly as The Moonster says. He's not naturally a confident guy, and needs a manager who he knows fully trusts and believes in him. That's absolutely not Reid's style, as I'm sure you will know.

Decent player for us , not sure if he will get a championship club but hope he does as I don't want to see him line up against us next season . Wondering if he already has an option if not could be a risky decision .

Disappointing but not surprising. Guys like Gibson don't hang about too long at one club.
Rumours of Ayr sniffing about which would be disappointing as I feel Faz will build a squad to compete with them this season. Although maybe more money on offer there which, if you have a family is a no brainier.
Be surprised if a Championship Club were to take him on after it not working out at Dumbarton.
Gibson has given us a few great memories and was a pretty special player. We'll not find someone of the same mould out there I don't think.
What's even more impressive is that Gibson actually, like most from Dumfries has webbed feet so has overcome quite a lot to get to where he is.

Petti moving on is no great surprise. Games were limited since returning and form was average. Nice guy who gave his all every time he played.
Return to Talbot on the cards maybe. Have seen him and his father at a few of their games.

3 hours ago, Mattmc said:

Rumours of Ayr sniffing about which would be disappointing as I feel Faz will build a squad to compete with them this season

Us 9th and you 10th?

Mark McGuigan has confirmed his departure on Twitter. Would of liked to have seen played up top a lot more than we did, felt we maybe didn't see the best of him when played out of position.

Another who moves on with best wishes.  

Looks like Faz isn't hanging about. He's either got a few things lined up, or a big rebuilding job to do.

Apparently our players are finding out about their futures on Thursday. Given the close ties between our clubs I wouldn't be shocked to see a few of those let go by us heading your way.

Take it McGuigan isn't up to the Championship? I always thought he looked like quite a handy player, but he hardly tore things up last season. With us losing Robert Thomson we could be looking for a big tall forward to play on the wing.

24 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Looks like Faz isn't hanging about. He's either got a few things lined up, or a big rebuilding job to do.

Apparently our players are finding out about their futures on Thursday. Given the close ties between our clubs I wouldn't be shocked to see a few of those let go by us heading your way.

Take it McGuigan isn't up to the Championship? I always thought he looked like quite a handy player, but he hardly tore things up last season. With us losing Robert Thomson we could be looking for a big tall forward to play on the wing.

Probably a bit of a gamble for the Championship although Aitken must like him as he'd signed him before he moved on to you guys. Maybe with the right coaching he could play at that level.

Stop start season with injuries combined with an idiot for a manager.

Faz will have the nucleolus of a decent squad resigned and no doubt have a few lined up. Have heard a few decent names batted about already but not holding my breath.

I'm sure he'll be watching closely to see who's on their way out at Dumbarton. I'd like to see Gallagher return should he not be given a new contract. We've never really replaced him since he left. Miss his energy in the middle of the park.  

53 minutes ago, Mattmc said:

Probably a bit of a gamble for the Championship although Aitken must like him as he'd signed him before he moved on to you guys. Maybe with the right coaching he could play at that level.

Stop start season with injuries combined with an idiot for a manager.

Faz will have the nucleolus of a decent squad resigned and no doubt have a few lined up. Have heard a few decent names batted about already but not holding my breath.

I'm sure he'll be watching closely to see who's on their way out at Dumbarton. I'd like to see Gallagher return should he not be given a new contract. We've never really replaced him since he left. Miss his energy in the middle of the park.  

Assuming we keep Aitken I wouldn't be hugely shocked to see him with us in that case. I guess it's hard to judge anyone under Reid too.

Gallagher has been out since September with us, and was pretty poor in his first season (The Moonster will be along in a second so we can have a debate about that :P). He started his time with us playing in the No.10 role, played a bit as a second striker, then as an outright striker, then on right-mid, then at right-back and only got a pretty short run of games in his natural role at the start of this season. He looked alright too, but not as effective as Stuart Carswell. 

He's certainly got plenty of energy, and his workrate can never be doubted. It was mainly what he did on the ball that let him down - well, that and randomly booting East Fife players in the Betfred Cup!

Shameless self-plug time, but here's what I wrote about his time with us so far in a recent article

Grant Gallagher (46 apps, 5 goals) - MISS

Considered one of Aitken’s most impressive signings during his first summer, ‘the white Yaya Touré’ started his career in the best way possible, scoring in the manager’s first home game (a 2-0 victory against Hearts), and then grabbing a double in his first competitive game (a 3-2 victory against Morton).

That form wasn’t to last however, as Gallagher - originally signed as a centre-defensive midfielder - found himself shunted absolutely all over the shop. He played as a number ten, a right-back, a striker, a right-winger and only occasionally slotted into his natural central midfield berth. 

Perhaps unsurprisingly therefore his performances dipped and, whilst his work rate was always commendable, he simply lacked the natural ability for many of the roles he found himself in.

Started this season with the first competitive goal of the campaign again (in a 2-2 draw with Forfar Athletic in July), before missing two games through suspension after a silly red card in the Betfred Cup defeat to East Fife. Some quietly effective performances followed in his natural role, before a nasty ankle injury sustained in September ended his season.

I see Gibson not changed any!! He still asking for more £££££ than he is worth. Same at all previous clubs.
I had heard at weekend if he didn't get what he wanted he was out of Stairs Park in a flash and was considering going to Dalbeattie Star.
Maybe Lowland League will be his level now. Only seen him play twice this season and was very average both times.

I see Gibson not changed any!! He still asking for more £££££ than he is worth. Same at all previous clubs.
I had heard at weekend if he didn't get what he wanted he was out of Stairs Park in a flash and was considering going to Dalbeattie Star.
Maybe Lowland League will be his level now. Only seen him play twice this season and was very average both times.

Think he his hard to negotiate with when it comes to a deal but that's just hear say.
Going from what his father in law has to say I think his mind was made up a long time ago.
He's way better than Lowland League but he enjoys being the big shot and rightly so when he's got that talent. He'll be the best in that league by a country mile.

In better news Morgan Neill has been released by Livingston, I've got a feeling he'll be a Stranraer player by next week.

3 hours ago, Aguerooooo said:

Opposite offered reduced wages. Been great loyal player with us, has that something extra .

Opposite offered reduced wages. Been great loyal player with us, has that something extra .

I'd agreed that he was a great player. Disagree that he's loyal. He left the club to make a step up which is fair dos. At the same time there were quite a few players offered deals elsewhere who were loyal and stayed put.

http://www.stranraerfc.org/index.php/latest-news/761-farrell-interview-20170512 Faz conforming a few things on the official site.

Michael Donald has turned down a new contract and opted to go back to the USA, so looks like we'll be needing at least two wide players.
Morena wont be returning which is no surprise.
Kemp been invited to pre-season training to prove himself.
So that means; McGuigan, Morena, McCloskey, Donald, Pettigrew and Gibson all moving on.
Seems like the rest of the squad Bar Kemp have all been offered new deals.
Turner and Agnew already under contract.

Archived