Stranraer FC 2017-18

• Replies 757
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To me, the club's explanation said very little, other than that numbers at the turnstiles were down. Without going down the route of Kv's rather dire assumptions, it's very bad news that the teams main , and in-form, striker is sold.  My own assumption, viewpoint ... call it whatever in the absence of clarification... is that a financial problem emerged, to be addressed, things discussed, and that a broad, or unspoken agreement was reached to cut major costs, and with the current points total, try to ride things out till the end of season. 

You’re 100% right, there was no clarification. A newspaper published a story and Cosmo came back with nothing solid or gave any clarification.
Kv’s assumptions aren’t dire, it’s frustration that once again the supporters are left in the dark. If they want more of our money and more fans through the turnstiles then treat us with a bit of respect. I’m not lining pockets for boys to chase a ball about badly, watch my team lose each week, watch our best players being sold to compensate for a financial haemorrhage we don’t know anything about! It’s a dismal display towards supporters from the club.

And more to the point I travel to the games, I have kids that I’ve brought up to support the team. I buy kids strips for xmas, pay 4 tickets to watch the game, travel expenses etc and its like a kick in the teeth when the chairman says “don’t worry it’s all in hand”. Then fans on Facebook thanking him, patting him on the back, “well done Cosmo, thanks for that”.
No, I want a bit more than that. For what I put in to the club, I expect something in return, a bit of respect and honesty

12 minutes ago, CobaltInch said:

And more to the point I travel to the games, I have kids that I’ve brought up to support the team. I buy kids strips for xmas, pay 4 tickets to watch the game, travel expenses etc and its like a kick in the teeth when the chairman says “don’t worry it’s all in hand”. Then fans on Facebook thanking him, patting him on the back, “well done Cosmo, thanks for that”.
No, I want a bit more than that. For what I put in to the club, I expect something in return, a bit of respect and honesty

I understand what you're saying. My post was made before Liam Dick was mentioned. I hadn't realized it was a fire sale, if that's what it is.

7 minutes ago, CobaltInch said:

Absolutely spot on and I’d say the feelings of most fans , to say that the manager has had an option and decided to sell our best players is silly to say the least , I’m fairly sure that contact will have been made by our board/chairman to other teams asking if they are interested in ANY of our players and naturally it’s the best ones that will go first , for Liam Dick has been our best player for the last few seasons and now he’s gone . How many are we to lose until the finances are improved , we will be left with the poorer players in the team which will almost certainly affect our performances and see us drop down the league . It’s a farce and there is only one way our club is heading all thanks to a board that has over spent .

2 minutes ago, beefybake said:

I understand what you're saying. My post was made before Liam Dick was mentioned. I hadn't realized it was a fire sale, if that's what it is.

That’s the issue beefybake we don’t know what’s going on nor how many players will leave , perhaps if the chairman told us exactly the position we at least would be a bit more prepared but where is it going to end , with this approach crowds will drop even further 

38 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I think he means is he any good, as he's just signed for us.

Our best player in my opinion over the past few seasons , nothing fancy but goes about his business quietly and very effectively 

Pretty sad about what is happening at $tranraer, although it is mildly amusing given the reaction last season when a few folks were a little sceptical about how they were financing that squad. Guess the $tranraer fans knew best.

And the pish about lower attendances, is just that. They’ve screwed up big style.

All clubs are in a precarious position but it was pretty obvious $tranraer were an accident waiting to happen. Regardless, hope it works out OK.

31 minutes ago, kvz2000 said:

That’s the issue beefybake we don’t know what’s going on nor how many players will leave , perhaps if the chairman told us exactly the position we at least would be a bit more prepared but where is it going to end , with this approach crowds will drop even further 

At least we are getting some sense on the last few posts ,It makes my blood boil that idiots are thanking the chairman on facebook for his post

What a load of rubbish ,He told us nothing.He and the rest of the committee were elected by us to run the club on our behalf. They have FAILED

SO INSTEAD OF SLAPPING THEM ON THE BACK, Its not our best players we should be getting rid off ,ITS THE COMMITTEE THAT SHOULD BE DISPOSED OFF

Time for Back Slapping to stop and Arse Kicking to start

At least we are getting some sense on the last few posts ,It makes my blood boil that idiots are thanking the chairman on facebook for his post
What a load of rubbish ,He told us nothing.He and the rest of the committee were elected by us to run the club on our behalf. They have FAILED
SO INSTEAD OF SLAPPING THEM ON THE BACK, Its not our best players we should be getting rid off ,ITS THE COMMITTEE THAT SHOULD BE DISPOSED OFF

It stares us in the face in black and white on supporters Facebook page, same names, same committee members, same volunteers all smacking each other’s backsides and praising what a good job they do. Show me the proof you have the clubs best interests at heart, be honest and tell us what’s going on and take off the blue tinted specks

4 hours ago, monthe blues said:

Call an EGM then my friend and boot them oot the door...

No debt 

but not the same cash coming it thats going out. So its only logical to take the desision that they have done. 

4 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

What kind of player is he? Does he like getting forward or is he more of a defensive left back?

Either way it sounds like he will be a decent signing for us.

He is a left back that is very steady although he makes quite a few mistakes he has a fair big of pace that helps him get back when he makes these mistakes. Personally I dong see what others see in him. I think he will be found out at Championship level the boy yous have at left back just now is a far better player imo

Not an apology for the status of the club , but in an effort to understand where we are , rather than to indulge in idle speculation , stop me if this seems wide of the mark here is some numerical speculation ( you can judge on how idle yourselves) 

I,m going to ignore the season ticket money , in the thought that it will be a balance to the annual signing on money , 

( 85 @ 120 -  just over 10 k )  15 players @ meagre 750 , just over 11 k

So outgoings during the season 

15 players on  200 quid a week , 3000 pounds , 4 times a month  12, 000 , bus hire 4 times a month  500, so another 2000, then incidentals , such as a manager , assistant , paying for training expenses etc , let’s call that 600 per week , total of 2400;  so for the 9 months  of the season that is a ball park of  147, 600 , lets round to 150,000

this might be light  ( doesn’t include running costs , repairs , subscriptions , costs for levels below the “big” team  and feel free to add 

income 

home gate 250 @ 15  = 3750 , average twice a month , 7500 , 9 playing months , 67500, 

add 2 * Ayr matches extra 400 on gate ,  6000: so 12000 per season 

I,d guess the hospitality etc washes its face , lets generate , across the season through that , 50  / 50 etc a further 10,000

total say  90, 000 

again this may also  be light 

so a shortfall of 60 k to be recovered , from  other sources ,  stena , fitba bar , etc 

a big hole to fill ,   

These are all estimates , but i’d Hazard a guess that they were ballpark  so on the current scheme we need  an 80 k payout annually to stay where we are  if I can paraphrase mr Micawber, annual earnings  20 pounds, annual spending 19 pounds and 75p , result happiness, annual spending 40 pounds , result misery. 

So so we are working to avoid misery  

The problem lies lies in expectations , raised by  unsustainable spending ,  we can’t have the squad we currently have and compete  we have to accept being poorer on a lower budget 

sadly that seems to be the truth of the situation , I do agree hoping for diamonds ( but not airdrie) in the 20’s is not a sustainable  business model , but it may be our path to glory 

21 minutes ago, bishopburn boy said:

Not an apology for the status of the club , but in an effort to understand where we are , rather than to indulge in idle speculation , stop me if this seems wide of the mark here is some numerical speculation ( you can judge on how idle yourselves) 

I,m going to ignore the season ticket money , in the thought that it will be a balance to the annual signing on money , 

( 85 @ 120 -  just over 10 k )  15 players @ meagre 750 , just over 11 k

So outgoings during the season 

15 players on  200 quid a week , 3000 pounds , 4 times a month  12, 000 , bus hire 4 times a month  500, so another 2000, then incidentals , such as a manager , assistant , paying for training expenses etc , let’s call that 600 per week , total of 2400;  so for the 9 months  of the season that is a ball park of  147, 600 , lets round to 150,000

this might be light  ( doesn’t include running costs , repairs , subscriptions , costs for levels below the “big” team  and feel free to add 

income 

home gate 250 @ 15  = 3750 , average twice a month , 7500 , 9 playing months , 67500, 

add 2 * Ayr matches extra 400 on gate ,  6000: so 12000 per season 

I,d guess the hospitality etc washes its face , lets generate , across the season through that , 50  / 50 etc a further 10,000

total say  90, 000 

again this may also  be light 

so a shortfall of 60 k to be recovered , from  other sources ,  stena , fitba bar , etc 

a big hole to fill ,   

These are all estimates , but i’d Hazard a guess that they were ballpark  so on the current scheme we need  an 80 k payout annually to stay where we are  if I can paraphrase mr Micawber, annual earnings  20 pounds, annual spending 19 pounds and 75p , result happiness, annual spending 40 pounds , result misery. 

So so we are working to avoid misery  

The problem lies lies in expectations , raised by  unsustainable spending ,  we can’t have the squad we currently have and compete  we have to accept being poorer on a lower budget 

sadly that seems to be the truth of the situation , I do agree hoping for diamonds ( but not airdrie) in the 20’s is not a sustainable  business model , but it may be our path to glory 

You should also get a reasonable amount of income from participating in the various cups and league. Think the sponsors money that trickles down for a variety of things isn’t too shabby.

He is a left back that is very steady although he makes quite a few mistakes he has a fair big of pace that helps him get back when he makes these mistakes. Personally I dong see what others see in him. I think he will be found out at Championship level the boy yous have at left back just now is a far better player imo

Our current left back just picked up a serious injury which will keep him out for some time (hence the signing of Dick).

Our defence are fairly solid with some right good experience in there in Barr and Dowie. Hopefully they can help him adapt to the Championship.

Archived