Montrose v Peterhead playoff

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really enjoyable competitive game but come away disappointed at the 1-1 scoreline. Had one gold edged chance put straight down keepers throat midway through 2nd half. Peterhead looked vulnerable at every corner and Sanny led line fantastically.
Mo defended well as a team, players tracking back with centre halves dealing pretty well with physical presence of Peterhead upfront.
MoM for me was actually Paul Watson gave us drive and direction in middle.
Final thought, Northcroft really doesn't give us much whenever we get him. Hands up which Mo fan ripped him off/shot his dog/nicked his pint/shagged his wife. Delete as appropriate.

Big sanny rolling back the years tonight and deserved Motm in my eyes. Gutted we are not going up their at least a goal up. Big Rory is a handful but thought we kept him at bay quite well. All to play for Saturday

I thought it was a superb performance by Montrose. Smith did make a few decent saves, but Fleming saved Montrose right st the death with a great save from, I think, McAllister. The referee missed an obvious foul by Peterhead on the edge of their box just before the match went into injury time. One of the most obvious Man Of The Match decisions ever being Chris Templeman. He was magnificent throughout, and particularly in the second half. If Montrose don't tire, and repeat this display on Saturday, they have a wonderful chance of making the final. Excellent support for the team from the town tonight.

Very entertaining match. It looked like there would be more goals from both sides early on.
Thought first half fairly even, thought Montrose had the better of the first half hour of the second half.....Fraser forced a good save from five yards that nine times out of ten would have went in.
Peterhead always looked dangerous on the attack.
Montrose had a 100% success rate of being flagged offside when making through balls but was at the Beach End for Peterhead's disallowed goal....did anyone get a good view of it?
Must mention another great crowd, the work the club, the supporters club and LPCT are doing is certainly working, the last time we were in the play offs the crowd was 700 odd for the home match...it is heartening to see so many youngsters at the games now and bodes well for the future.

As said, entertaining game and we didnt look out of place against league 1 opposition. SP had us set up well and other than a couple breakaways and obligatory Fleming flap I really felt we were comfortable for huge chunks of the game. Shame not to take a lead up the road with Smith making at least 3 or 4 excellent saves when on another day at least one would have gone in.

Given our recent record v Peterhead this was an excellent performance this evening. Expect Peterhead to be better on Saturday but tonight was an enjoyable game compared to the stress fest v Clyde!

A good, open, competitive game that Montrose shaded. Despite rueing Gary Fraser's missed chance in the second half pleased enough to go up the road at 1-1, we are usually horsed by Peterhead.

Our team gave their all tonight in front of a decent crowd and I just hope we can finish the job and progress to the final at the weekend. Templeman and Paul Watson are enjoying amazing Indian summers late in their careers and both had outstanding shifts tonight.

Peterhead looked disjointed and it's easy to see why they have struggled this season, particulalrly defensively. However, as has been said, I am sure they will do better at home...

Though we were very lucky to come away with a draw tonight. Montrose looked like they could score with every cross.
The amount of times 50 yard balls were taken on the chest by Templeman was a joke.
All to play for on Saturday.

6 minutes ago, Blootoon87 said:

Though we were very lucky to come away with a draw tonight. Montrose looked like they could score with every cross.
The amount of times 50 yard balls were taken on the chest by Templeman was a joke.
All to play for on Saturday.

Interesting to know how much preparation Peterhead put into the game. We had our most experienced, intelligent midfielder positioning himself superbly to cut out the long ball to Templeman on Saturday, matched up with a centre half who is outstanding in the air. For over an hour Montrose struggled to get a foothold in the game. No doubt it's a big part of how they play.

21 minutes ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

A good, open, competitive game that Montrose shaded. Despite rueing Gary Fraser's missed chance in the second half pleased enough to go up the road at 1-1, we are usually horsed by Peterhead.

Our team gave their all tonight in front of a decent crowd and I just hope we can finish the job and progress to the final at the weekend. Templeman and Paul Watson are enjoying amazing Indian summers late in their careers and both had outstanding shifts tonight.

Peterhead looked disjointed and it's easy to see why they have struggled this season, particulalrly defensively. However, as has been said, I am sure they will do better at home...

I wouldn't bet on us doing better at home.:( Chances at both ends but over all thought Montrose worked harder and played better as a team. Don't think the balance has shifted towards Peterhead and it could still go either way.

10 hours ago, gastropod said:

Full time 1-1 .Mate at the game said Smith kept Peterhead in it with a couple of great saves..Should get a good crowd for the 2nd leg

Taffy talks pish

Archived