CLYDE FC Season 2017-18 Thread

f**k off chapman

Chapmans sole success cant be outshining the five years of utter beige at Annan, Stark i'm sorry had the single best eleven to set foot in tier 2 (and i include Rangers, Hearts, Hibs and Dundee Utd in that) with St J, the likes of Hartley, Tam Lovenkrands, Donnelly......and finished fucking nowhere. Took Bonhof's very decent u21s from Vogts' reign and fucked them right up too. The list is shite. 

Let's hope it's the mysterious 5th man then.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Elementary Penguin said:

An appointment like this needs to be inspired by some sort of blue sky thinking, instead of met with the usual mourning of all the big bad hardships. Paul Martin's been out the game for a while, worked wonders with Albion Rovers without their stolen Rangers' Cup money. What that list has is four failures.....Chapmans sole success cant be outshining the five years of utter beige at Annan, Stark i'm sorry had the single best eleven to set foot in tier 2 (and i include Rangers, Hearts, Hibs and Dundee Utd in that) with St J, the likes of Hartley, Tam Lovenkrands, Donnelly......and finished fucking nowhere. Took Bonhof's very decent u21s from Vogts' reign and fucked them right up too. The list is shite. 

I actually agree totally, thing is what is the alternative?

Experienced guy out of a job who?

Young  guy, tried didn't work. As I say I'm not disagreeing, it's a worry though we are not an attractive proposition. I'm actually at a loss who we can actually get that will give us all a bit of optimism.

Well Freddy, surprise surprise but the names have been collated after all the applications, and shortlist drawn up by largely the same bunch who were speaking with Chapman at the recent home game, and allegedly had an interview with Stark himself....it seems a pretty closed door, of which we have known about for around two months now....the net hasn't exactly been cast!!

Don't believe for a minute others didn't apply as you say the shortlist was drawn up months ago the advert was just protocol

Danny Lennon did say in a recent interview he'd be willing to drop down the leagues should the right opportunity present itself.

Don't know much about the League 2 teams but would assume Clyde have one of the larger budgets in the league so could be a good option for him to build up his reputation a bit.

Don't know why everybody is so negative towards Chapman. May be a bit of a c**t but who cares. He's finished 2nd, 5th, 5th again and 3rd this season with Annan. Always fighting for a playoff spot on presumably a much smaller budget than we have. Wouldn't mind him taking over. Definitely wouldn't be any were near as bad this season even if we play rubbish football which for me doesn't matter too much if we get the wins.

Always fighting for a playoff spot on presumably a much smaller budget than we have.

Hold on a minute, we have been told on an annual basis that Annan is the model we aspire to because their social club alone gives them a six figure head start every year budget wise.

I've never really rated him; I've always thought he's had too high an opinion of himself. He's never really worked out how to play against us despite our numerous changes in style and personnel. Not getting into the playoffs ahead of QP last season was a travesty (they scored 69 goals!). Too many hissy fits at referees, moaning about Sweeney's long throw and then employing McNiff/Watson to do the same, arguments with fans. Their defensive record is consistently poor as well, despite having some outstanding goalkeepers and decent centre halves in his time there. I've thought his signing record has been mixed as well (though I appreciate Annan can't be the easiest place to attract players to play and train).

I'll give him some credit though based on this year. He lost a ton of goals with Flynn, Todd, Weatherson and Osolador all leaving and to get them into the playoffs this season was an achievement worthy of some praise. He definitely knows the division as well, which is a prerequisite for most. I've never thought his style of football has been particularly poor (the game where they tanked us 3-0 at Broadwood in 13-14 was a fantastic performance) and they've reached 60+ goals in 3 of his 4 full seasons (Clyde haven't got anywhere near that for years).

As always we don't really know much about his coaching, or any of that sort of stuff which doesn't go on at 3 pm on a Saturday. I wouldn't have him as my first choice at all but there's worse candidates. I certainly don't think he'd have us near the bottom.

Seeing as we're getting all excited debating new managers, HERE is a great article by P&B's Francesc Fabregas about Billy Stark's Queen's Park team. I dare you to read it and not want him to sign-up tomorrow. They were an absolutely brilliant side to watch. I made my way to Hampden a few times when Clyde didn't have a game and they played some terrific stuff. They were technically good, young, fit and totally took advantage of the big pitch but also battered a few teams away from home as well. Scott McLaughlin and Sean Higgins wouldn't get a look in.

I'm fully aware that he's not been a success in every job (he underachieved at St Johnstone) but Albion Rovers have had two good years since he went there as well. He's a name that players will recognise as well and like it or not, that's undeniably a factor at this level.

If you don't appoint Stark off that shortlist, you'd be as well packing up as a club. The guy is an absolutely terrific coach and pretty much every player who played under him at QP loved working under him. Give him time to get a squad together and his methods in place and he'll probably get you promoted. It might not be instant, but if you gave him a couple of seasons he'd get you moving in the right direction. There's absolutely nobody at Hampden who'd have a bad word to say about that him, even if he does end up at Broadwood!

Stark would be a superb appointment compared to Chumpman, or JP & Peaso for that matter. My only reservation would be that, whilst his QP team were indeed superb, he inherited players like Trouten, Cairney, Paton and Kettlewell. He'd be coming to Clyde to take over absolute duffers like Phil Johnston, Sean Higgins and Scott McLaughlin. God help him.

Out of the list Stark is the best man for the job , I think it's time for a bit of a tried and tested candidate with good connections in the game we need out of this league ASAP Stark wouldn't have been a name that came to mind for the job , but apart from St johnstone he has a pretty good pedigree and has worked in lower leagues as well as top division
I didn't rate Duffy but in hindsight he did a reasonable job considering he managed us on possibly the lowest player budget we have ever had , again the biggest problem will be providing the funds for the new manager that's where Innes and Co come in

59 minutes ago, cfcuk said:

Out of the list Stark is the best man for the job , I think it's time for a bit of a tried and tested candidate with good connections in the game we need out of this league ASAP Stark wouldn't have been a name that came to mind for the job , but apart from St johnstone he has a pretty good pedigree and has worked in lower leagues as well as top division
I didn't rate Duffy but in hindsight he did a reasonable job considering he managed us on possibly the lowest player budget we have ever had , again the biggest problem will be providing the funds for the new manager that's where Innes and Co come in

What about others?

What about others?

Don't rate Chapman , McDonald and mcgovern don't have the experience for me if we hadn't signed DWG we would be in the play offs ( not sure it was them that signed him ) might get shot down in flames but they got very lucky

12 hours ago, cfcuk said:

Don't believe for a minute others didn't apply as you say the shortlist was drawn up months ago the advert was just protocol

Could CIC members not request the full list of applicants after the choice is made. Would help some understand the number of applicants and also the quality.

Could CIC members not request the full list of applicants after the choice is made. Would help some understand the number of applicants and also the quality.

Confidentiality will cover that one

Next

Archived