CLYDE FC Season 2017-18 Thread

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If he's going to be our third striker behind Goodwillie and Gormley I don't see the problem with it. I'd rather we take a chance on someone who scored 30+ goals one division lower than us, than bring in a striker who's either not being playing elsewhere in League One/Two or only scored a handful of goals.

1 hour ago, haufdaft said:

Yet some are happy that we re-signed Gormley for a third season having scored 16 goals in 62 league games.

Alternatively, he scored 15 in his last 30 games last season. Even 15 over the whole 45 game season (including 10 subs appearances) isn't that bad a record. Stacks up well against most other strikers in the league.

Indeed, his goalscoring can be linked to having a bit of confidence and playing in a front two. He often didn't have that in his first season and a bit.

I hope the poor b*****d doesn't follow this page!!!

Yes, it's a bit of a concern if this is the best we can do, if Shire are netting 115 goals, and not even coming close in the title race, there's an indication of the standard on display. Sounds like fucking basketball. 

[emoji23]

Alternatively, he scored 15 in his last 30 games last season. Even 15 over the whole 45 game season (including 10 subs appearances) isn't that bad a record. Stacks up well against most other strikers in the league.
Indeed, his goalscoring can be linked to having a bit of confidence and playing in a front two. He often didn't have that in his first season and a bit.

Gormley needs to come back at least a stone lighter , his record from Xmas onward was good and he linked up well with goodwillie who should if he stays fit and gets the service will score 30 plus

One of the things that really got to me last season was the weight some of our players were carrying it was an absolute disgrace let's hope that's one thing Chapman won't stand for at any time of the season

Needless to say virtually all have been jettisoned [emoji106]

Goodwillie and G... Oh, I can't even say it. It's like buying a Mercedes, taking the alloys off and putting new tyres on with Dacia wheel trims.

But here we have it: page 59, June 17th, we're finding ways to rationalise the acceptability of it all.

I will restate something I posted earlier. The logic invoked to justify keeping - and starting with - Gormley could just as easily be morphed to justify the same in point of Sean Higgins.

Anyone fancy it?

Thought not.

I will restate something I posted earlier. The logic invoked to justify keeping - and starting with - Gormley could just as easily be morphed to justify the same in point of Sean Higgins.

Anyone fancy it?

Thought not.

It couldn't though. Higgins was a fucking ghost for most of the season. Gormley had his good games and his bad games, yet could not be accused of hiding! If he plays like he did second half of last season then we will have a decent partner for goodwillie.

Not really sure who you are expecting us to sign to partner goodwillie but if we are looking for budget players then doubt many better than Gormley will be willing to come to us.

It couldn't though. Higgins was a fucking ghost for most of the season. Gormley had his good games and his bad games, yet could not be accused of hiding! If he plays like he did second half of last season then we will have a decent partner for goodwillie.

Higgins was a complete ghost compared to any other player in the Clyde team.

I agree that Gormley was better in the latter part of the season. On his day he's unstoppable. Too often he plays badly and is an absolute liability

I didn't see much of an understanding between Goodwillie and Gormley. To me they appeared to be working independently of one another.

Gormley lacks the touch and holding up skills to allow him to link up with a partner.

I think we may have to rely on Flynn making forward runs for that or an as yet unsigned player.

57 minutes ago, Clyde01 said:

Not really sure who you are expecting us to sign to partner goodwillie but if we are looking for budget players then doubt many better than Gormley will be willing to come to us.

Posting "it couldn't though" isn't an argument. Consider two things in isolation. Firstly, Higgins' form in roughly the first four months of the season (Jul - Oct). Secondly, Higgins performances in the first three months of the season. He was scoring. He was assisting. He was involved. Particularly, if you care to remember, against teams like Kilmarnock, Cowdenbeath and, most of all, Forfar at Broadwood (0-1).

Now Gormley. Consider his form in isolation for the same period. One goal. And a tenacity about conceding possession that had the frustration of our support and his team-mates running at Glenn Quagmire levels.

Anyone can cherry-pick data and choose to remember those things which make a plausible-sounding case for keeping a player. So if it's Gormley, you can say - correctly - that his performances picked up in the second half of the season, that he scored a whack and that he played well alongside Goodwillie. And we can, if we want to be dishonest and end-up with a stinking team again this season, forget that his abiding contributions were manifest in the feckless loss of possession, falling over himself, failing to control the ball and anticipating fouls. Additionally, we can say that this a player who'll be 30 shortly. And, moreover, we can highlight how his reserve of fitness was, more than for many others, saved-over for the latter part of the season. Meaning, if you like, that while others had a quarter-tank, he might've had something like half. An advantage which is wiped out once the clock is reset and the new season begins. As for playing well alongside David Goodwillie: a player of that quality will do wonders for their partner at this level. Doesn't mean we should be content with that partner.

For unimpeachable reasons, nobody wants another season of the ghost of Sean Higgins. Why in god's name anyone is rallying to Gormley's cause, I just don't know. Squad player? Fine. Starting alongside David Goodwillie? Behave.

Who am I expecting us to sign to play ahead of Gormley? How about someone better than him. We've a manager paid a wage to find such a player. Goading supporters with the message: 'What would you do?' is a bit like Hillary Clinton calling half of America deplorable. Not a winning attitude.

I find it hard to fathom the arguments of someone who has promoted the virtues of shite like Michael Oliver and Ryan Finnie yet is happy to stick the boot in others who contribute far more Gormley and McNiff spring to mind as 2 of your targets.

Posting "it couldn't though" isn't an argument. Consider two things in isolation. Firstly, Higgins' form in roughly the first four months of the season (Jul - Oct). Secondly, Higgins performances in the first three months of the season. He was scoring. He was assisting. He was involved. Particularly, if you care to remember, against teams like Kilmarnock, Cowdenbeath and, most of all, Forfar at Broadwood (0-1).

Now Gormley. Consider his form in isolation for the same period. One goal. And a tenacity about conceding possession that had the frustration of our support and his team-mates running at Glenn Quagmire levels.

Anyone can cherry-pick data and choose to remember those things which make a plausible-sounding case for keeping a player. So if it's Gormley, you can say - correctly - that his performances picked up in the second half of the season, that he scored a whack and that he played well alongside Goodwillie. And we can, if we want to be dishonest and end-up with a stinking team again this season, forget that his abiding contributions were manifest in the feckless loss of possession, falling over himself, failing to control the ball and anticipating fouls. Additionally, we can say that this a player who'll be 30 shortly. And, moreover, we can highlight how his reserve of fitness was, more than for many others, saved-over for the latter part of the season. Meaning, if you like, that while others had a quarter-tank, he might've had something like half. An advantage which is wiped out once the clock is reset and the new season begins. As for playing well alongside David Goodwillie: a player of that quality will do wonders for their partner at this level. Doesn't mean we should be content with that partner.

For unimpeachable reasons, nobody wants another season of the ghost of Sean Higgins. Why in god's name anyone is rallying to Gormley's cause, I just don't know. Squad player? Fine. Starting alongside David Goodwillie? Behave.

Who am I expecting us to sign to play ahead of Gormley? How about someone better than him. We've a manager paid a wage to find such a player. Goading supporters with the message: 'What would you do?' is a bit like Hillary Clinton calling half of America deplorable. Not a winning attitude.

Fully entitled to think gormley is a waste of a jersey
But obviously Chapman thinks he can do a job for the club in all honesty if they had released him i wouldn't have been that bothered
Just need to see what a new manager can bring out in gormley as I said would hope he has lost a good bit of weight for this season
Must admit gormley getting resigned certainly didn't fit in with our new chairman's view of the brave new world of Clyde fc circa 17/18 and beyond

10 hours ago, Clyde01 said:

I find it hard to fathom the arguments of someone who has promoted the virtues of shite like Michael Oliver and Ryan Finnie yet is happy to stick the boot in others who contribute far more Gormley and McNiff spring to mind as 2 of your targets.

The difference, which you're glossing over to save face, is that when I made posts about their 'virtues', we'd already signed them and there was nothing I could do about it. We've now got a canvas which is largely blank. We should want the best for it.

One year ago, I was as perplexed by Oliver's signing as I am now with our apparent want to settle with Gormley as a first-choice forward. Go and look at the posts on last year's thread. I was tearing lumps off of Ferguson for signing a centre-back who was too wee and, very probably, still the album-track we knew him to be. However, I'll always think that Oliver and/or Finnie should've been in the team on the right hand side ahead of Johnstone. Or on the left ahead of McNiff. Either one was worth a go at full-back ahead of those two. Why dispute this? There is a season's worth of highlights packages online which put beyond doubt the badness of Johnstone and McNiff as full-backs.

I've already made a post saying who I'd keep this season. I didn't think twice about leaving the names 'Oliver' and 'Finnie' out of it. That was on the basis that I didn't fancy another season of arguing that a slightly less rubbish player should play ahead of a rubbish one. But I'm close to thinking that's what we're in for again.

And don't give me the "your targets" patter. Anyone that puts a Clyde jersey on gets my support on a Saturday and has my thanks for their service. But I'll be damned if I can't say what I see. What's doubly ridiculous is that you've set me up as a verbal assassin in the same post as you've written about "shite like Michael Oliver and Ryan Finnie". Please...

The difference, which you're glossing over to save face, is that when I made posts about their 'virtues', we'd already signed them and there was nothing I could do about it. We've now got a canvas which is largely blank. We should want the best for it.

One year ago, I was as perplexed by Oliver's signing as I am now with our apparent want to settle with Gormley as a first-choice forward. Go and look at the posts on last year's thread. I was tearing lumps off of Ferguson for signing a centre-back who was too wee and, very probably, still the album-track we knew him to be. However, I'll always think that Oliver and/or Finnie should've been in the team on the right hand side ahead of Johnstone. Or on the left ahead of McNiff. Either one was worth a go at full-back ahead of those two. Why dispute this? There is a season's worth of highlights packages online which put beyond doubt the badness of Johnstone and McNiff as full-backs.

I've already made a post saying who I'd keep this season. I didn't think twice about leaving the names 'Oliver' and 'Finnie' out of it. That was on the basis that I didn't fancy another season of arguing that a slightly less rubbish player should play ahead of a rubbish one. But I'm close to thinking that's what we're in for again.

And don't give me the "your targets" patter. Anyone that puts a Clyde jersey on gets my support on a Saturday and has my thanks for their service. But I'll be damned if I can't say what I see. What's doubly ridiculous is that you've set me up as a verbal assassin in the same post as you've written about "shite like Michael Oliver and Ryan Finnie". Please...

As much as you repeatedly and correctly pointed out the limitations of Johnston and McNiff as wing backs or full backs, the simple fact is Oliver and Finnie were even worse.

I am not making you out to be a verbal assassin either, just pointing out the bizarre obsession you have both positively and negatively with certain players.

Anyway now that Gormley and McNiff are signed and you can do nothing about it, maybe you can at least give them a chance before criticising them.

Gormley is a very frustrating player and if we find a better option then great. But if not I'm sure he can do a job and deserves our support.

Archived