CLYDE FC Season 2017-18 Thread

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having MacDonald sign for Stirling Albion is a boot in the balls. The 'out with the old' patter used to justify his departure ought to be remembered if we find ourselves with a second-rate partner for Goodwillie. David Gormley, for example.

I'm pleased about the release of Smith. One more player that won't be apologised for through the season. I'd say the same for Michael Oliver but, after having been diagnosed as obsessed with him following my insistence that he should be tried out as a full-back last season, I know that won't fly. We're bezzies.

If McNeil was to sign for Stirling Albion after us just having released McMillan, I'd have to find humour in that. If I didn't, I'd be inconsolable. We would have gone from the position of having the strongest pool of right-backs in the league last season - by some distance - to having none whatever. With Finnie gone, too, we'd literally have let-go of every decent option there. And yes: Finnie is, in fact, a decent full-back. Shame Barry 'the transformer' got a hold of him.

I'm hoping for a raft of signings in the next fortnight. And, crucially, I hope we'll lose our recovery pace sometime soon. The longer his name stays off the OS, the more worried I get. Worth remembering that he was at Dumbarton around-or-about the time Chapman was involved with them. Not to say as manager. *Sigh*.

Peaso to Stirling ? what is he thinkin.... I'd have kept him on board but with Goodwillie in the picture he's not really going to fit in first team, still a quality player tho 

Think you've answered your own question as I'm fairly certain he'll fit into Stirling's.

Over the course of last season I think we had five excellent performers (ignoring loanees). Guys who would get into any side in the league.

I can understand Easton leaving.

I can understand Peaso leaving.

I would have understood if Goodwillie had left.

We're waiting to hear about Linton.

I'd be petrified if McNeil left. Don't see any sense at all, when he can be a standout in three or four positions. There's only so many ex-Annan players we can sign.

[Something about backspin].

Sweeney's been given the chance to prove himself in the 2nd tier of Junior football. Having been plying his trade in its basements for the past season or two. How wrong I was about him http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/15343723.John_Sweeney_signs_for_Kilbirnie_Ladeside_determined_to_prove_the_doubters_wrong/.

[something about backspin].

Sweeney's been given the chance to prove himself in the 2nd tier of Junior football. Having been plying his trade in its basements for the past season or two. How wrong I was about him

Kilbirnie must be developing their long throw game.

1 hour ago, DavidMcG said:

Rohan Ricketts has been invited to pre season training [Express]

Some laugh. The idea of him, Goodwillie and Easton in a Scottish League 2 team seems absurd.

No doubt. That's why all those lads are being hunted by League 1 and League 2 teams and he's gushing about leaving St Rochs for Kilbirnie.

Higgins - anonymous and useless

McLaughlin - slow and useless

Finnie - useless and useless

Sweeney - runs around like f**k and is useless.

I'd choose Sweeney every time over the others because he ran around like f**k.

2 hours ago, haufdaft said:

Higgins - anonymous and useless

McLaughlin - slow and useless

Finnie - useless and useless

Sweeney - runs around like f**k and is useless.

I'd choose Sweeney every time over the others because he ran around like f**k.

I'm just saying... I wouldn't. Running around isn't worth a hill. I sometimes hear that about guys I play fives with. Someone asks: 'Is he any good?'. Answered: 'He runs aboot...'. That's code for bawz. Mark Casey. Andrew Traub. Adam Coakley. Christian Smith. They all ran about.

Higgins assists and goals. McLaughlin's use of the ball. Finnie's... Ah, forget Finnie.

Would have liked to keep Peaso but reality is as soon as he wasn't given the manager's job I knew he would be moving on.

Very difficult to go from Interim Manager back to player in the same dressing room, especially when it's public knowledge that you applied for the manager's job.

7 hours ago, Sao Paulo said:

Finnie's... Ah, forget Finnie.

I am trying very hard to forget him.

Not buying any of this nonsense about Fergie wasting him, the guy is an atrocious footballer who even shat out of a challenge in one of our home games (unforgivable).

The fact that he played under Chaoman previously and was released straight away says it all. Well rid of him. 

Archived