CLYDE FC Season 2017-18 Thread

11 hours ago, Sao Paulo said:

The Sun and Scotsman - today - say he's training with Salford City. Who are, as it happens, a full-time team. In the newspaper articles, Black says the offers he's been made are pitched at a lower level than what he'd consider.

I think it's safe to assume we won't be seeing him at Clyde any time soon. However, he's a name that I brought up much earlier on in this thread. And, as other have remarked, is precisely the sort of player our midfield needs.

And safe to say the source of the rumour, much like earlier in the thread regarding Goodwillie is full of shit!

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hear Johnny Dexter, solid CB, and Didier Baptiste are joining having not yet found clubs. Baptiste is a former French u21 midfielder but got involved in a betting scandal where it was alleged he deliberately missed a penalty to throw a game. His career was affected and he never reached his potential. ( Liverpool and Arsenal were ready to buy him from Marseille) Dexter is uncompromising. Getting on now but would be great for us.

I hear Johnny Dexter, solid CB, and Didier Baptiste are joining having not yet found clubs. Baptiste is a former French u21 midfielder but got involved in a betting scandal where it was alleged he deliberately missed a penalty to throw a game. His career was affected and he never reached his potential. ( Liverpool and Arsenal were ready to buy him from Marseille) Dexter is uncompromising. Getting on now but would be great for us.

Johnny Dexter, always seemed to lack depth as a player.
Very two dimensional.

As for Baptiste, his wife was a Stoater.

Chris Townsley. Lee Currie. Jonathan Brown. Owen Ronald. Bryan Deasley. Fraser McLaren. Roddy MacLennan.

There's half a team that's playing outside division two, in the juniors, without a club or nominally chucked it. All of whom I'd take. The likes of Townsley, I don't know if he's still going, but that's exactly the sort of centre half we want.

I have no sympathy for a gaffer that can't get a couple of half decent centre backs. None whatever. You've got to cast your net much more widely than the U20 teams and the dribble down/wash-up from the senior leagues.

I watched Deasley about 6 month ago, plays for my local junior team who I do like. He's nowhere near senior football level now. He actually played in central midfield, physically gone, very slow and looks like a different person. Imagine others are the same.

They're just names. You'd be aswell signing Kenny Deuchar, Steven Milne and Graham Bayne... who done that again..?

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I watched Deasley about 6 month ago, plays for my local junior team who I do like. He's nowhere near senior football level now. He actually played in central midfield, physically gone, very slow and looks like a different person. Imagine others are the same.

They're just names. You'd be aswell signing Kenny Deuchar, Steven Milne and Graham Bayne... who done that again..?

I know you're determined that I'm wrong, that these players are in the Juniors for a reason, and that it's all just tired out wish-thought. But you're wrong. There are any number of ways to prove this point, too.

Firstly, about the seven guys I mentioned. With the exception of Townsley, I checked them all out over the course of several recent matches before I mentioned their names. Regarding Deasley. Does he seem as quick as he once was? No, far from it. But he's still plenty nippy and grabbing a good amount of goals as a forward or wide-man for Lochee. He hasn't played as a CM any time recently, to my knowledge. Moreover, he's a considerably more experienced player now. And it shows in his use of the ball; sometimes losing your pace is educative. And really, with his age, he's only some extra-curricular work away from getting his pace back if he wants it.

Secondly, it was lazy of you to cite Deuchar, Milne and Bayne. All three are far older than the seven I mentioned. Most of the seven are in their mid-to-late 20s. Some are in the recently announced Scotland Junior squad, too.

Conveniently, many of the seven recently faced-off when Bonnyrigg played Lochee a week or so ago, in what was quite a good game. See here. As for the rest, go watch any highlights of matches they've played in recently. There's good coverage of the juniors on YouTube.

The final and perhaps most convincing way I can prove the point about the Juniors being a decent market is to tell you this: I could name you squads and squads worth of guys who're currently full-time pros but were Junior or Amateur in the last decade. And, in recent memory, Clyde built a League One winning team with Junior players and little else. You pick wisely, you coach them well, you've got a source as good as any in the Juniors.

I know you're determined that I'm wrong, that these players are in the Juniors for a reason, and that it's all just tired out wish-thought. But you're wrong. There are any number of ways to prove this point, too.

Firstly, about the seven guys I mentioned. With the exception of Townsley, I checked them all out over the course of several recent matches before I mentioned their names. Regarding Deasley. Does he seem as quick as he once was? No, far from it. But he's still plenty nippy and grabbing a good amount of goals as a forward or wide-man for Lochee. He hasn't played as a CM any time recently, to my knowledge. Moreover, he's a considerably more experienced player now. And it shows in his use of the ball; sometimes losing your pace is educative. And really, with his age, he's only some extra-curricular work away from getting his pace back if he wants it.

Secondly, it was lazy of you to cite Deuchar, Milne and Bayne. All three are far older than the seven I mentioned. Most of the seven are in their mid-to-late 20s. Some are in the recently announced Scotland Junior squad, too.

Conveniently, many of the seven recently faced-off when Bonnyrigg played Lochee a week or so ago, in what was quite a good game. See here. As for the rest, go watch any highlights of matches they've played in recently. There's good coverage of the juniors on YouTube.

The final and perhaps most convincing way I can prove the point about the Juniors being a decent market is to tell you this: I could name you squads and squads worth of guys who're currently full-time pros but were Junior or Amateur in the last decade. And, in recent memory, Clyde built a League One winning team with Junior players and little else. You pick wisely, you coach them well, you've got a source as good as any in the Juniors.

Fire on. Sign him. Be a fucking waste of a wage though.

Archived