CLYDE FC Season 2017-18 Thread

On 07/04/2018 at 21:09, BullyWeeLad said:

Heard some rumours that Goodwillie has basically agreed to sign for a Scottish Premier league club next season.. and we’ll be getting a measly 15k for him as that was the agreed buy out price (as board didn’t think anyone would be interested) :unsure: hopefully not true 

Wonder what kind of superstar can be got for £15nowadays 

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So Season nearly over and barring a miracle were playing 3rd Div fitba again next season perhaps without a few of our top performers but we have a strong management team who know how to get a job done which has been evident in last 12-15 games...

Heard on sat DGW off to StMirren but not sure how true though perfectly plausable with his form and his personal circumstances would suggest he needs full time football...

If our star man does leave surely club will allow Lennon the funds after the Chapman debacle last summer to perhaps bring in say.... Andy Ryan,John Sutton or evem Craig Malcolm who simply shouldnt be playing Lowland League Football...

Not sure and Dont think Sutton or Ryan getting regular games for their clubs...

Could a fit Flynn Replace McStay or Lamont and produce his form shown at Annan before joining us...

Time to start the rebuild and just hope no clubs like Thistle or Ross County come knockin for our manager duo...

Foreva n eva

Holding on to Lennon and Moore is, of course, the most important summer dealing of ours. I'm sure that, if Goodwillie does move on, we will get an okay fee for him and that Lennon will have a healthy budget with which to work next season. It remains to be seen how much (if at all) Flynn's been affected by his spell out, but even on song he'll never be any sort of a replacement for McStay (who, if he receives a decent full-time offer, I would also imagine will be offski). I'm sure he'll be training with us in pre-season for Lennon to have a look at him, though. 

Goodwillie and McStay are the biggest two; on recent form, I don't think there's a player in our first XI who I wouldn't want to see back at the club. Boyle and Cogill are probably highly unlikely to be here next season; Lamont, there's a small chance. He's not consistent or rounded enough to be far too good for this division, so perhaps - depending on his contract situation with Thistle - we'll see him back one way or another. Nicoll would be a good guy to have in the dressing room, at the very least, and has been brilliant on occasion for us recently, so I would imagine he'll be retained. Stewart and Duffie have shown they're handy full-backs, and Currie has looked assured too. Grant is a wee bit lightweight for me but if we're to be a footballing team next season then he'd be an excellent one to retain. I've really liked Cuddihy of late, and would like to see us retain him as well. Home likewise. Breslin, Lowdon, Osadolor, Wright; see ya.

Obviously we've already got Love and Lang contracted, and that's a decent start. Hold on to Goodwillie and/or McStay and you've got a very good stimulus there. The promising thing for me is that, of the 8 players Lennon's brought in, only Kipre has disappointed. Maybe Martin too, but he's been bit-part. If Lennon stays in post then he'll put together a title-challenging team, much to the dismay of the League 2 guff. I can't wait to see us rolling QP over at least 4 times next season. 

Don't really get this thing about a queque of club's waiting to pounce on our manager ?
There have been plenty jobs in higher leagues have came up before he joined us and he didn't get them so now these clubs are now going to pay compensation to get him , so exactly what team would he be going too ?
He has done an excellent job with us so far and don't see him going anywhere
As for the players the whole change in the team came about with the signings in the new year and the likes of duffie getting fully fit I wouldn't rush in and retain a lot of them .
Don't think DGW or Mcstay will be there next year , but you never know so who would let go definites
Currie, mcniff , wright, breslin smart . depending on wages might keep as squad players
Nicol , lowdon However
I will leave this in the capable hands of our management team who have proved they can spot a player

Andy Ryan would never drop down to League 2. Every club in League 1 and half of the teams in the championship would be wanting him
Calm doon sir just names that sprung to my mind. Then again has been known if money sufficent and club had potential a team planning to win their division would perhaps get the nod over a team in the bottom 6 of one above... Feck knows,Again just a few through away names

7 minutes ago, shawfield shed boy said:
19 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:
Andy Ryan would never drop down to League 2. Every club in League 1 and half of the teams in the championship would be wanting him

Calm doon sir just names that sprung to my mind. Then again has been known if money sufficent and club had potential a team planning to win their division would perhaps get the nod over a team in the bottom 6 of one above... Feck knows,Again just a few through away names

Out of interest, who do you think Andy Ryan plays for? 

37 minutes ago, Lichtie78 said:

Sad to see Jordan Lowdon on a few fans get rid lists, really liked him in his second season with us. Has he just not recovered from that bad injury he had?

I wouldn't be averse to giving him pre-season to try and win a deal, but since his return from injury he has only really featured as a late sub - in games we've been closing out - as a winger. He looks to have lost some of the explosive pace which really set him apart, and looks like he's lacking in match sharpness too. It's a shame, because last season we looked very good until he and Easton got injured. Lowdon was a clearly a big part of Ferguson's plans for how we were supposed to play before they were both stricken. Lennon appears to prefer full backs who are, first and foremost, strong defensively, and I don't think Lowdon fits that billing unfortunately. 

Obviously we would like to keep the likes of McStay, Goody, Lamont etc... but whoever signs I’m confident it’ll be better than previous years. Lennon and Moore will have great contacts and from the signings they’ve made so far they have my full trust. Lang, Love and Goodwillie signed up for next year, Hopefully more to join in the coming weeks.

Hopefully they draw again against Berwick and then Lose against Montrose and Stirling which would leave them on 53 points. Hopefully we will win our next two which would leave us at 54 points. It’s still possible!

Basically we need them to lose the next two and draw against Stirling
If they get a draw at Berwick that would mean on the last day a draw for both Stirling and stenny would most probably take them into the play offs even if Stirling lost on Saturday with the goal average

We really need to thump Edinburgh by 4 or 5, for Stenny to lose the next two to Montrose/Berwick and Stirling to lose Saturday against Annan so they both have something to play for final day.

Not likely. 

We will just do enough. I would rather get out of this league this season as I reckon Clyde will be the team to beat next season once Lennon gets his claws in over the pre-season.

Similar things have been said about Clyde in this division for the last twenty years right enough.

6 minutes ago, Neilly said:

We will just do enough. I would rather get out of this league this season as I reckon Clyde will be the team to beat next season once Lennon gets his claws in over the pre-season.

Similar things have been said about Clyde in this division for the last twenty years right enough.

Keeping Goodwillie and McStay is essential. Don’t think the latter will stay, sadly, he’s far too good for League 2.

Archived