CLYDE FC Season 2017-18 Thread

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Elementary Penguin said:

You mean yon laddie Ulyanov? Who gave him his nickname?

I've no doubts whatsoever that Innes, in keeping in tone with his 'creation of conditions', has given the club by far the best chance of success here. Some will point to Alloa and Airdrie spells as not being too clever....both clubs had already hit their heights (Alloa, could go no further) or hit the skids (Airdrie, and they've still a long way to fall themselves) by the time he took over....i see no reason why with the right conditions, and allowing the man to manage, we can exceed what Cowdenbeath did....including, but not exclusive to, getting into the Champ double-quick and doing a bit more than just staying there. 

Not really an accurate account of his time at Alloa. He kept us up after coming in late in the season and deserves credit for that (albeit with the squad we had we shouldn't have been bottom of the league in the first place).

He then headed off on holiday as the squad departed one by one. There is an argument that it was the end of an era at Alloa and those players would have gone away, but I still feel that a good manager would have got a couple of them or other good signings sorted before going on holiday, a statement of intent. As it was we were left signing a load of duds in late summer.

We managed 1 win in 16 in the league and were knocked out of the cups by League 2 teams. Even allowing for it being hard to take any Alloa any further that's dismal. Lots of fancy talk about philosophy Yogi Hughes style but the team was a shambles. Jack Ross came in and organised the same set of players into a team who were motivated and hard to beat. In short, Lennon talked a good game (particularly enjoyable David and Goliath essay on club website before a trip to Ibrox) but signed poor players (on a very very good part time budget) and got even less than the sum of their parts from them. Hope he does well at Clyde, but he was very poor indeed at Alloa.

28 minutes ago, Elementary Penguin said:

Fair enough, but looking from the outside in, i find it difficult to envisage you as a club being too far out of your present habitat....JR may well have steadied the ship but even his organisation and motivation wouldn't ever realistically have propelled you into anything more than tier-two 8th-place-dreamers. That's a hard-sell, and even harder to present as a success when its usually the best that particular club can do. In terms of taking a club through the leagues, the theory behind the appt could be seen along the lines of a Terry Christie or Dick Campbell (of a certain era).....we'll judge him struggling in the Championship when he gets us there. 

I wasn't asking him to get to 8th. I expected us to go down that year after a few seasons of over achieving and I wouldn't have blamed Lennon at all had we finished 10th but put up some kind of respectable fight. But the least I ask of Alloa managers is that they assemble a squad that reflects the budget they have and that they get the sum of their parts from that squad. Lennon fell way short on both counts, it was a shambolic effort IMO. 

I wasn't asking him to get to 8th. I expected us to go down that year after a few seasons of over achieving and I wouldn't have blamed Lennon at all had we finished 10th but put up some kind of respectable fight. But the least I ask of Alloa managers is that they assemble a squad that reflects the budget they have and that they get the sum of their parts from that squad. Lennon fell way short on both counts, it was a shambolic effort IMO. 

Take your word for it you watched it and credit for sticking with it
Always difficult to go against supporters who sat through that type of run and my goodness in recent years we should know
Looking at rest of his record it's excellent I must admit I think it's a top notch appointment

1 hour ago, Elementary Penguin said:

You mean yon laddie Ulyanov? Who gave him his nickname?

I've no doubts whatsoever that Innes, in keeping in tone with his 'creation of conditions', has given the club by far the best chance of success here. Some will point to Alloa and Airdrie spells as not being too clever....both clubs had already hit their heights (Alloa, could go no further) or hit the skids (Airdrie, and they've still a long way to fall themselves) by the time he took over....i see no reason why with the right conditions, and allowing the man to manage, we can exceed what Cowdenbeath did....including, but not exclusive to, getting into the Champ double-quick and doing a bit more than just staying there. 

He is a good appointment, but steady the f**k on.

Ya fuckin' absolute beauty.

Ten years of shite and finally the prospect of something better. No more featherweight midfielders; no more timid defenders. A hard to beat, graftin' b*****d of a team.

Huge congratulations to the board - there's no way there was a better candidate.

We might be back.

Sort o happy. Hes better than chapman,He done a job at cowden n st mirren while back ,bit like moyes at everton. His alloa record worries me. Lost 19 o 26. Does he currently.know our level,Can he find a player on 50pw time will tell. Im not overally excited but where we currently sitting in the league i suppose its a good appointment i hope and might get others looking over their shoulders , Best o luck

I can't think of who we could have realistically got who would have been a better appointment.

If he has any organisational or motivational skills whatsoever he will undoubtedly be better than the last two "managers".

And, hopefully, he will have some contacts whereby he'll be able to add some quality players to our squad.

Only hoping this isn't another false dawn. Don't think I could take another one.

Also, I hope McNally still has a role to play at the club, as he seems to have tuned things round in his short time in charge.

Archived