CLYDE FC Season 2017-18 Thread

I don't see how we could have signed Dillon (based up near Dundee and given a choice of the Angus sides), the Dunlops (signed for Stenny before we had a manager) or why we would have wanted to sign Wright who was absolutely dreadful at Stirling. The point I made at that time about Munro being probably as good as we could expect still stands. 

I have no idea about Tena's circumstances, whether we had the budget to sign him, or whether he is indeed fit after what is a notoriously bad injury. And neither do you. If it turns out he plays well and we turned down the chance to sign him, by all means start flinging mud.

You'll need to return to the Chris Townsley/Lee Currie/Fraser McLaren theme for now though.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Unacceptable that Edinburgh pick up a centre half of Jesus Garcia Tena's quality and we can't. Fucking unacceptable.

Anyone peddling nonsense theories about it being difficult to find a good centre half, a quickish centre half, or whatever... Just turn yourselves in now and stop anchoring this club's expectations to the bottom of the ocean.

Any pushback on this, I won't even regard. We're not talking about an arguably decent Junior player here, we're talking about a pedigreed, in-his-prime, recently professional, highly rated defender.

And don't give me: 'Well why is he with Edinburgh?'. Why are the Dunlops with Stenny? Why is Shaun Dillon at Montrose? Why did Fraser Wright go to Stirling?  Fine, he's had a wee injury. No reason to think it'll haunt him. And, frankly, Marvin Andrews in crutches could clear his lines better than some of ours. 

Season after season there's an apologetics movement on here. End it lads. End it.

I'd ask, why did he sign for relegation challengers, Edinburgh City?

Why is he setting his sights so low?

Perhaps no other teams wanted to take the risk? Including Clyde.

Or was it the best fit for him personally for non football related reasons?

The posts above are why we are where we are, make no mistake about it. An absolute pox on the land.

Notice that, however many quality players our competitors sign, there's always a team of our own waiting to explain away why it's fate and not failure.

To address the stupid points made above... I know enough about Tena to know that, as a cripple, he'd be worth a punt given the desperation of our situation at that back. And yes: when he does do a job for Edinburgh I will start throwing mud. All. Over. The. Shop.

If anyone thought I was suggesting we could sign the Dunlops, Dillon or any of the other good defenders in the league. Let me be clear... That is exactly what I'm suggesting. Maybe not now. Maybe not after they signed up elsewhere. But at some point yes: we ought to have been able to get a couple of good centre backs in. And what's the opposite view, exactly? One of utter abjection. That we're just fated to Nicoll, Niff and Munro. Give me a fucking break.

I'm accused of knowing nothing about Tena's circumstances by people claiming to know exactly why Dillon couldn't have came to Clyde. And why Wright couldn't have been a success at Clyde. And so on. Wake up. Your give the guy a break attitude betrays a patience undeserved by any Clyde manager.

If I'm to be slagged off for suggesting we try out some Juniors with experience, why won't you deal with Lee Currie and Owen Ronald, for example? They'd obviously be improvements on what we have and actually have already shown as much with their records in senior football.

And you try to sell your opinions like they were those of a pragmatist. Walter wept.

Why should I give anyone at the club a break re player sourcing or retention when JP McGovern comes out after we play Elgin and says what he did about us having questioned his fitness?

When it finally becomes undeniable that we are Jim Chapman's home for, ahem, 'developing players', send me the apology on a Lowland League postcard won't you?

Went along to pollok v Clydebank today to those interested here's how it went

Train departed 145pm from central. Arrived 155pm and Just missed kick off bearing in mind it was a 2pm ko

£6 Quid to get in. Pie stall that offered much more and some at very reasonable prices inc "cans" of irn bru (Wasnt that long ago i was at EFL game either when few families at HT were bringing out flasks of Tea n so on with stewards present)

Option to Nip out at HT for a pint or soft drink if you wish,Must be very handy in winter or for say those who like a cheeky puff..

Decent standard of football infact lot better than 90% of our games,Crowd over 1000 and overall an enjoyable experiance...

Mccluskey played and looked ok,Tight pitch never suited his runs,Johnston was a passenger but the man o the match & stand out by far was a chap called gary mccann of pollok. Ex irvine meadow. If we dont take chance on him someone else will...

Why am i telling this. Work it out,Value for money,Centre of glasgow to ground in under 15mins and much more....

Neither of these clubs are my team but we should take a leaf out their book,Going on crowd their doing something right and were all supporters but customers aswell after all.

Went along to pollok v Clydebank today to those interested here's how it went

Train departed 145pm from central. Arrived 155pm and Just missed kick off bearing in mind it was a 2pm ko

£6 Quid to get in. Pie stall that offered much more and some at very reasonable prices inc "cans" of irn bru (Wasnt that long ago i was at EFL game either when few families at HT were bringing out flasks of Tea n so on with stewards present)

Option to Nip out at HT for a pint or soft drink if you wish,Must be very handy in winter or for say those who like a cheeky puff..

Decent standard of football infact lot better than 90% of our games,Crowd over 1000 and overall an enjoyable experiance...

Mccluskey played and looked ok,Tight pitch never suited his runs,Johnston was a passenger but the man o the match & stand out by far was a chap called gary mccann of pollok. Ex irvine meadow. If we dont take chance on him someone else will...

Why am i telling this. Work it out,Value for money,Centre of glasgow to ground in under 15mins and much more....

Neither of these clubs are my team but we should take a leaf out their book,Going on crowd their doing something right and were all supporters but customers aswell after all.

6ffe4185e217f95c18a0f1830e808747.jpg
Great crowd but not over a thousand! So....were you just counting?

9 hours ago, David W said:

David Goodwillie :wub: 

Yes.. cracking interview; If only the rest of the imposters currently playing had his attitude on a football park. Such a pity we have him at a time when the team is so poor that we hardly benefit from such a player. 

5 hours ago, FREDDYFRY said:

Yes.. cracking interview; If only the rest of the imposters currently playing had his attitude on a football park. Such a pity we have him at a time when the team is so poor that we hardly benefit from such a player. 

Not sure im happy about David BADwillie being held up as a shinning example in any capacity. And not all fans accepted you David.

2 hours ago, salute said:

Not sure im happy about David BADwillie being held up as a shinning example in any capacity. And not all fans accepted you David.

Do understand that but I did say "his attitude on the park". I knew some people would comment on my positive post on him.  As I say I understand that and accept the point but no one can argue that he has a fantastic attitude on a football park, considering especially the level he comes from.

5 hours ago, FREDDYFRY said:

Do understand that but I did say "his attitude on the park". I knew some people would comment on my positive post on him.  As I say I understand that and accept the point but no one can argue that he has a fantastic attitude on a football park, considering especially the level he comes from.

Fair enough.

David Goodwillie :wub: 

Can't wait for Dave Mackay to take him off your hands and play him alongside Peaso

Certainly will be shocked if he is still playing with the dross he and our supporters are currently lumbered with come January. The cash required to get him out a 2 year contract probibly won't be much either given the circumstances that surrounds him. 

Archived