CLYDE FC Season 2017-18 Thread

I find all the talk about Broadwood very similar to thread about Hampden in the Fans Views section.

Just as it would be great if the SFA could knock down Hampden and build a better stadium in its place, it would be brilliant if Clyde could build a slightly smaller version of Broadwood somewhere with great transport links and lots of people living nearby (who don't already support other teams....).

However, neither are anywhere close to being able to afford it and even if they could, it would be questionable as to whether that was actually the best way to spend such a large amount of money when they both currently have workable stadia.

Let's wait for some official word from the club, as opposed to a slightly vague comment on the Q&A section.

My hope is the new chairman has spent 6 months looking at previous failed relocation attempts and other future possibilities, before deciding none of them are feasible and we should be concentrating on Broadwood/Cumbernauld. The club looking at options to move was never a problem, letting it drag on for year after year has been an utter shambles.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, cfcuk said:

So broadwood is root of all the club's ills ? I thought it was the fans fault well it was last Christmas it was nobody was volunteering that had us rooted bottom of the league.

Have a look at the record of the club under the CIC model and yet people tell me it works for our club , show me the evidence please. We ended up last season second bottom 8 games into the new season we are 3 points off the bottom of the league. Where is the accountability? Is it with chairman or directors ?

Time for a radical rethink , moving ground wouldn't make a difference at the moment you ok some stay aways might come back , but they would watch that the dross dished up week after week and disappear again.

Ps I would love to go back to Shawfield or rutherglen area But we have to sort out the club out first

Was broadwood a huge problem when we won the league in 1999

Or the season under Roberts when we beat Celtic?

I agree regarding stadium.

I've still yet to be convinced why the CIC is bad. Our operation of it, yes. Absolutely. Two of the four league leaders in Scotland are fan owned. Motherwell are doing fine. Hearts will be fan owned in the near future.

Do you want a situation like Airdrie found themselves in this summer? Or the setup which had us nearly out of business twice? 

Convince me. And the fact we've struggled in the league isn't a reason that I'll be convinced by.

I agree regarding stadium.
I've still yet to be convinced why the CIC is bad. Our operation of it, yes. Absolutely. Two of the four league leaders in Scotland are fan owned. Motherwell are doing fine. Hearts will be fan owned in the near future.
Do you want a situation like Airdrie found themselves in this summer? Or the setup which had us nearly out of business twice? 
Convince me. And the fact we've struggled in the league isn't a reason that I'll be convinced by.

Both Motherwell and Hearts were backed heavily financial before embarking on fan ownership

Motherwell still are not fully fan owned they have been given almost 1 million on interest free loans to pay back with strict criteria on final ownership by 2020

Hearts Ann Budge has put them on a
a very strong financial footing and they are still not fully fan owned

These clubs are still run as a business and have had cinsiderable finacial backing let's see how their long term future develops

Tell me I'm a member of the CIC what do I own ? The contribution is less than 2 pound a week

So how many fans owned club's have been promoted from league 2 in the past 8 odd years we have been in league 2?

Ok so how do we make the CIC work ?

We have the best facilities in the league and should be using them to our advantage. I understand there will be people who will simply will not take to Broadwood but after 23 years the uncertainty of where we should be playing should be long gone. It's been touched on by a few folk but I don't recall people moaning about its size when we were a well established 1st Division side. The potential is there, so let's try and make it work for us. 

That being said, the club has done very little to deserve higher attendances. Having Bar58 is a welcome addition but it's nowhere near enough. I was impressed by how busy it was at the Cowdenbeath game and heard it was full the week before - so the club should be using it as inspiration for other incentives. I think NLC have just approved a plan to renovate the waste ground behind the stadium with pubs and restaurants etc, the club should be right on that to explore sponsorships or even a partnership to maybe help with the match day experience. When I look back to when I was 6/7 and I started to regularly attend matches, it felt as if Clyde were playing an active part in Cumbernauld. The likes of Marko and Jack Ross used to come to my primary school for coaching sessions and hand out free tickets at the end, I even got my first Clyde strip from Asda in Cumbernauld. Does any of that stuff happen now? I doubt it. That's what started my interest in Clyde and I've been going now for the best part of 15 years. The football side of things was considerably better that time too which obviously helps but there can definitely be more being done to get people through the door. It feels as though the club have alienated themselves from Cumbernauld and you can hardly blame the town turning it's back on them. Even the last group of younger guys coming to games in the last few years must've been thinking why the f**k they bothered when turnstile operators had photographs of a group of 15/16 year olds who were deemed too troublesome to go to games. 

I've only managed along to one home game this season. I was there for about 10 minutes before being reminded why that was the case, it was probably the most subdued atmosphere I've ever sat through at a Clyde game. Needs sorted pronto. I just hope it's not too late.

We have the best facilities in the league and should be using them to our advantage. I understand there will be people who will simply will not take to Broadwood but after 23 years the uncertainty of where we should be playing should be long gone. It's been touched on by a few folk but I don't recall people moaning about its size when we were a well established 1st Division side. The potential is there, so let's try and make it work for us. 
That being said, the club has done very little to deserve higher attendances. Having Bar58 is a welcome addition but it's nowhere near enough. I was impressed by how busy it was at the Cowdenbeath game and heard it was full the week before - so the club should be using it as inspiration for other incentives. I think NLC have just approved a plan to renovate the waste ground behind the stadium with pubs and restaurants etc, the club should be right on that to explore sponsorships or even a partnership to maybe help with the match day experience. When I look back to when I was 6/7 and I started to regularly attend matches, it felt as if Clyde were playing an active part in Cumbernauld. The likes of Marko and Jack Ross used to come to my primary school for coaching sessions and hand out free tickets at the end, I even got my first Clyde strip from Asda in Cumbernauld. Does any of that stuff happen now? I doubt it. That's what started my interest in Clyde and I've been going now for the best part of 15 years. The football side of things was considerably better that time too which obviously helps but there can definitely be more being done to get people through the door. It feels as though the club have alienated themselves from Cumbernauld and you can hardly blame the town turning it's back on them. Even the last group of younger guys coming to games in the last few years must've been thinking why the f**k they bothered when turnstile operators had photographs of a group of 15/16 year olds who were deemed too troublesome to go to games. 
I've only managed along to one home game this season. I was there for about 10 minutes before being reminded why that was the case, it was probably the most subdued atmosphere I've ever sat through at a Clyde game. Needs sorted pronto. I just hope it's not too late.

Well said scott absolutely spot on [emoji106]

Get lauchlan in. Terrible decision by board to appoint chapman.

BF might have failed in the end but we had 300 at a fuckin friendly at EK and he brought decent fitba and players for his 2/3rds.

Lucky if we have 300 at a home game before xmas...

Wonder how many would change their opinions n post now or brave enough to admit...

BF or chapman. Not Questionable...

BF might have failed in the end but we had 300 at a fuckin friendly at EK and he brought decent fitba and players for his 2/3rds.

Wonder how many would change their opinions n post now or brave enough to admit...

Anybody would be an improvement on Chapman.

Question, apart from winning games, would Clyde fans be happy watching a team that tried to play football the right way or would they give it up for just getting out the league whatever it takes?

23 years in Cumbernauld and I estimate that the majority of the support mainly still come from the traditional Glasgow areas. Look at the age demographic of our support!

You say that the club were involved in schools and the community when you were a boy. Where are those supporters now? Did it work? Would it work better in another community?

It looks to me as if the good folk of Cumbernauld just aren't interested.

The games between Clyde and Queens Park at Hampden brings out a lot of "Glasgow" supporters who don't come to Broadwood. This shows that there is still a latent support for our club in our traditional heartland.

The stadium is much too big. It's in the middle of nowhere. It's difficult to get to by public transport. It lacks atmosphere. You can go on about match day experience but surely these are important things. I don't know if I would go if I didn't have a car.

More recently, the club have engaged more with the community. Yet attendances have fallen.
I'd estimate that less than 5% of the match day crowd are primary school age. Yet it's free for them to come along.

The ball boys aren't even interested enough to even watch the match.

You say that the club have alienated themselves from Cumbernauld. What have Cumbernauld done for their town's club? For example, where's the sponsorship from Cumbernauld's big companies? Surely the club have asked them.

I'm afraid the people of Cumbernauld would rather watch the old firm or Sky TV.

You say that you don't recall people moaning about Broadwood's size when we were a well established 1st Division side.

Back then, we couldn't pay the stadium rent AND pay for good players. We chose to pay for the good players.

That would be when we were destined for financial ruin and almost disappearing altogether. It's maybe not a time we should look back at without regret.
It's like Rangers saying none of their supporters complained about David Murrays tenure when they were successful. They certainly do now.

I do get the feeling that many (not all) "Broadwood" supporters want to stay there for their own convenience rather than for the good of the club.

In spite of everything I've said, if we choose to stay at Broadwood we should double our efforts to engage with the locals, the schools and the local businesses.

I'll continue supporting the club if we stay at Broadwood and support any initiative to involve the townspeople but I'll be forever bemoaning sitting in a cold, desolate stadium looking across to thousands of rarely/never to be filled empty seats thinking what could've been.

Not the biggest fan of Broadwood but why would a community take you in when over the years you have continually wanted to leave and as for local businesses not supporting to my knowledge Clyde don't have a Commercial Manager to put time into getting these resources (and I've heard they were offered someone who fitted the bill but didn't take up on the offer) so there's no chance of companies coming forward and throwing money at them.
Possibly long term lease at Broadwood would show commitment and maybe foundations to build within cumbernauld.

55 minutes ago, haufdaft said:

23 years in Cumbernauld and I estimate that the majority of the support mainly still come from the traditional Glasgow areas. Look at the age demographic of our support!

You say that the club were involved in schools and the community when you were a boy. Where are those supporters now? Did it work? Would it work better in another community?

The games between Clyde and Queens Park at Hampden brings out a lot of "Glasgow" supporters who don't come to Broadwood. This shows that there is still a latent support for our club in our traditional heartland.

The stadium is much too big. It's in the middle of nowhere. It's difficult to get to by public transport. It lacks atmosphere. You can go on about match day experience but surely these are important things. I don't know if I would go if I didn't have a car.

More recently, the club have engaged more with the community. Yet attendances have fallen.
I'd estimate that less than 5% of the match day crowd are primary school age. Yet it's free for them to come along.

You say that the club have alienated themselves from Cumbernauld. What have Cumbernauld done for their town's club? For example, where's the sponsorship from Cumbernauld's big companies? Surely the club have asked them.

You say that you don't recall people moaning about Broadwood's size when we were a well established 1st Division side.

Back then, we couldn't pay the stadium rent AND pay for good players. We chose to pay for the good players.

That would be when we were destined for financial ruin and almost disappearing altogether. It's maybe not a time we should look back at without regret.
It's like Rangers saying none of their supporters complained about David Murrays tenure when they were successful. They certainly do now.

I do get the feeling that many (not all) "Broadwood" supporters want to stay there for their own convenience rather than for the good of the club.

In spite of everything I've said, if we choose to stay at Broadwood we should double our efforts to engage with the locals, the schools and the local businesses.

I'll continue supporting the club if we stay at Broadwood and support any initiative to involve the townspeople but I'll be forever bemoaning sitting in a cold, desolate stadium looking across to thousands of rarely/never to be filled empty seats thinking what could've been.

I am a couple of years older than Scott and we went to the same school a bawhair from the stadium. There wasn't a lot of us who supported Clyde but in terms of gaining new supporters there was a case to be made. A "half decent" team on the pitch and as Scott has pointed out, interaction with the club. [edit: none of my family support Clyde so the clubs influence was wholely responsibile].

It all comes back to the results on the park. We could play in a back garden and people will still think it's too big if we are shipping three goals a game  in the fourth tier. To me the stadium then becomes a mute point because there is no evidence whatsoever that anything will improve, either on the pitch or off it.

Your line about Cumbernauld based fans not wanting to relocate because we can't be bothered traveling 20 minutes down the motorway perfectly demonstrates the division in our support.

It all comes back to the results on the park. We could play in a back garden and people will still think it's too big if we are shipping three goals a game  in the fourth tier. To me the stadium then becomes a mute point because there is no evidence whatsoever that anything will improve, either on the pitch or off it.
Your line about Cumbernauld based fans not wanting to relocate because we can't be bothered traveling 20 minutes down the motorway perfectly demonstrates the division in our support.

Has the cost of the stadium had an effect on our ability to spend money on the playing squad? In that regard is not a moot point.

4 minutes ago, haufdaft said:

Has the cost of the stadium had an effect on our ability to spend money on the playing squad? In that regard is not a moot point.

It probably did after deciding not to pay anything for a spell.

3 hours ago, shawfield shed boy said:

Chapman may not turn out to be a good appointment, but you need to stop punting your mate Lauchlan at every opportunity.

Been traveling to Cumbernauld from Ayrshire since I can remember and even now I'm close to being done. I love Clyde but the lack of any progress in nearly 10 years is killing me. Countless Saturdays down the drain when I can think of things I'd much rather be doing than sitting numb eating a shite pie every week

11 hours ago, haufdaft said:

It worked well for quite a long time. They've probably fucked off and gone elsewhere to find something better to do. Can hardly blame them. I've got friends who haven't been to a game in years and don't identify themselves as Clyde supporters but they can still remember players who played for us 15 years ago and still look out for our scores. To me that suggests there's an underlying interest but it's the club's responsibility to get them to come along. Obviously a better team on the park would help but it doesn't excuse the complete lack of action by the club.

You say that kids get in for free but the onus would probably have to be on the kid or their parent to know about it. It gets a line on the match preview every week but that's it. Not even a tweet to the 10k+ twitter followers to get the word out. I worked up next to Cumbernauld Town Centre until June this year and in 4 years there wasn't even a single poster advertising a match. Why not have a presence in the busiest area of the town? You might be right in saying folk are more interested in watching the OF but you certainly don't need to give them an excuse.

With regards to Cumbernauld companies one literally has their brand staring at you for 90 minutes. When that fella (not even a Clyde fan btw, a Cumbernauld resident who took a shine to the club) went round Cumbernauld getting companies to buy into the season ticket to give punters discounts etc there were plenty willing to give a hand. I'm no expert on this but why is this no longer the case if they're still being asked (as you would assume)?

An example of our lack of presence in Cumbernauld is this.

I ordered a taxi after the Cowdenbeath game. It duly arrived on time at 17.45 at the main entrance to Broadwood. " Where to, pal?" " Black Bull in the village." "No problem. Been at the game today?" "Aye."

"So wiz ah" my taxi driver replied. "Disappointing wasn't it?" he ventured.

"Yes. It was. To lose an equaliser like that. Really disappointing."

At this, my driver shot me a quizzical glance. "Equaliser? What game are you on about? Ahm oan aboot Rangers Sellik!" he opined.

My reply was somewhat terse. "You've just picked me up outside Broadwood fucking Stadium! What game did you really think I'd been to?"

"Didn't know there'd been a game there the day," was all he could offer in defence.

An example of our lack of presence in Cumbernauld is this.
I ordered a taxi after the Cowdenbeath game. It duly arrived on time at 17.45 at the main entrance to Broadwood. " Where to, pal?" " Black Bull in the village." "No problem. Been at the game today?" "Aye."
"So wiz ah" my taxi driver replied. "Disappointing wasn't it?" he ventured.
"Yes. It was. To lose an equaliser like that. Really disappointing."
At this, my driver shot me a quizzical glance. "Equaliser? What game are you on about? Ahm oan aboot Rangers Sellik!" he opined.
My reply was somewhat terse. "You've just picked me up outside Broadwood fucking Stadium! What game did you really think I'd been to?"
"Didn't know there'd been a game there the day," was all he could offer in defence.

FFS

Archived