CLYDE FC Season 2017-18 Thread

Only concern knowing Chapman not a fan of pro youth (as he shut down Annans) and to be honest I'm not the biggest fan but surely a club like Clyde is the kinda club that needs a youth set up as we have no budget to bring in experienced players and to take the cast offs from other youth set ups says to me if their not good enough for them what makes them good enough for us.

A well run youth system could pay dividends for a club like ours in the long run!!!

The problem would be that any exceptional youth we develop will be cherry picked by Premier or championship teams.

Why waste value resources when you'll see little of the benefit?

Picking up players that fail to make premiership or championship grade may mean cheap and decent players for ourselves in the second division.

You can also hope that you unearth a hidden gem that can perhaps be sold at a profit.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are compensated for development of youth players also if they make it to 1st team there is always a possibility of sell on it may only be a few players but if the youth is feeding into first team its cost effective but you've got to have proper structure and coaches and management to buy in!!!

13 minutes ago, Morocco Mole said:

Only concern knowing Chapman not a fan of pro youth (as he shut down Annans) and to be honest I'm not the biggest fan but surely a club like Clyde is the kinda club that needs a youth set up as we have no budget to bring in experienced players and to take the cast offs from other youth set ups says to me if their not good enough for them what makes them good enough for us.
A well run youth system could pay dividends for a club like ours in the long run!!!

It costs a fortune to run these setups with little return at this level when finances are tight as it is. The top clubs are cherry picking the best young talent. I think it is completely fair to say however that a 17 year old released by the Old Firm or Hearts or the like is much more likely to make it given a second chance at a lower level of senior football, than someone chucked at 17 by Clyde, considering the higher standard they will have been playing at in comparison.

I think hes completely right. 

Personally I think Cumbernauld and Kilsyth is a big enough area that there is potentially missed talent there. Also if we had some sort of commercial manager bringing in backing from local business then the cost wouldn't be as much of a burden to the club. Like I said earlier if run properly it could be beneficial to the club!

Surely there would then be evidence of youth players coming through to play in every other team in League 1 and 2, and move on for big fees?

There isn't. It's a stupid idea for a part-time team.

Unfortunately got to agree with Chapman. It's not viable for us with cost to reward ratio not adding up. As far as I'm aware funding is being cut or directed to certain academies that achieve elite status. More sensible to pick up boys with potential and play them in a 20s squad and give them a chance of first team football

Only one final point is when these boys are released from Probably the club they support there is a good chance they are lost to football altogether.
Our own set up could mean boys coming right through our system or being picked up at earlier age from other clubs before disappointment and rejection or more blatantly birds and booze. The Scottish way!

It's a stupid idea for a part-time team.

I'm not sure I agree with this. In our First Team squad this season we've got Cammy Binnie, Ross McGeachie, Scott Davidson, Lee Hamilton, Connor McMullan & Ross Kavanagh who have all come through our youth set up. You can also throw Callumn Morrison to that list, but Hearts have bought him off of us and loaned him back.

We've also had SPL teams buy youth players like Greg Hurst (and Morrison) off of us. We've got players involved with Scotland Youth squads and in the last 5 years, 3 players have won scholarships to America.

Surely if it's ran right, a youth set up is a valued asset to provide players for the First Team and to give LOCAL players an avenue to play football? I'd argue it was.

I'm not sure I agree with this. In our First Team squad this season we've got Cammy Binnie, Ross McGeachie, Scott Davidson, Lee Hamilton, Connor McMullan & Ross Kavanagh who have all come through our youth set up. You can also throw Callumn Morrison to that list, but Hearts have bought him off of us and loaned him back.

We've also had SPL teams buy youth players like Greg Hurst (and Morrison) off of us. We've got players involved with Scotland Youth squads and in the last 5 years, 3 players have won scholarships to America.

Surely if it's ran right, a youth set up is a valued asset to provide players for the First Team and to give LOCAL players an avenue to play football? I'd argue it was.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I think we paid a fee for one player in our squad. We received a fee from yourselves for McNeil.

Other than kudos, what is the benefit of developing your own players compared to picking up frees from other clubs?

16 hours ago, Morocco Mole said:

Can only genuinely think of one player who came through our youth set up to go and make it at a high level in the last 15 odd years - Craig Bryson. Even Scott Ferguson was at Rangers until he was 15/16. 

In an ideal world everyone, especially at our level, would love a set up through the year groups but with one player being sold to Kilmarnock, it's a no brainer. 

It won't be up to Chapman if we wanted to run a youth set up that would be a strategic decision made by the club
At the moment a complete non stated we at present have schools of football linked to the club which do a great job not only coaching but upping the profile giving them support would certainly be worthwhile
Chapman has a 2 year contract so any long term initiatives aren't his remit .

41 minutes ago, Karpaty said:

Can only genuinely think of one player who came through our youth set up to go and make it at a high level in the last 15 odd years - Craig Bryson. Even Scott Ferguson was at Rangers until he was 15/16. 

In an ideal world everyone, especially at our level, would love a set up through the year groups but with one player being sold to Kilmarnock, it's a no brainer. 

I thought we picked Bryson up after he was released by the Motherwell youth system? Did John Baird come up through the Clyde youth system - hasn't he done well since we punted him?

Archived