Airdree v Q Pee

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having seen the highlights I hope that those who say we are the least entertaining team for years have a good look at our goals. All 3 were excellent well worked team goals. As everyone knows our problems don't lie in attack.

QP's first goal was a belter.

Was hoping to be shot down in flames .....

Consider yourself belching fire and heading Earthwards.

He's done an outstanding job and there will be opportunities for him to leave. We can only hope he leaves later rather than sooner.

45 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Consider yourself belching fire and heading Earthwards.

He's done an outstanding job and there will be opportunities for him to leave. We can only hope he leaves later rather than sooner.

Agreed I think he has performed miracles and he comes a close second to Billy Stark and what he brought to the club. 

I was in all honesty 'fishing'..........................

Airdrie are quite perplexing, great on the counter attack but otherwise mince.

Really! Have a look at the highlights http://www.airdriefc.com/diamondstv/17/05/06 almost every Airdrie chance comes from inside your half!

1st Airdrie goal, straight run from just inside the halfway line, pass to left, 1st time square ball and 1st touch by Ryan is back of the net.

2nd starts on your right touch line, 3 passes later and again Ryan's 1st touch is back of the net.

3rd is 4 passes straight from the restart, 5th is down the wing to Stewart who crosses for Russell and guess what? Yep! 1st touch is back of the net.

Contrast QPs 1st, hoof up the park from midway in your own half, Airdrie defender misjudges the flight of the ball, it breaks and a sublime finish, but a text book "counter attack". The wind caused a lot of problems on Saturday, especially for those of us in the stand in a t-shirt.

On the subject of goals Airdrie conceded it was again from 2 lots of mistakes we've seen time and again this season  which can only lead to the conclusion that our coaching staff are utterly useless.

Both goals are utterly preventable long before they final nail was struck - I have to clarify that as both QP strikes were sublime in their own right.

The first goal was from yet another easy to deal with long ball down the middle.   Yet again our back three are caught out playing too high.   If we're going to play a high flat line like that we need our forward unit to be pressing high to prevent that situation.   This time Gorman didnt get back quick enough and headed the ball vertically and was off balance for the second ball.   Mensing had dropped off as had McIntosh so the loose ball dropped kindly for the no. 10 who fairly smashed it home.   Seriously, why are they trying to play a flat zonal 3?  

2nd goal is incredibly sloppy.  From an innocuous throw in McIntosh prematurely hands the eventual crosser over to Stewart who isnt anywhere near in position.  Stewart cant prevent the cross because he was behind the play. The scorer is on Mensing who is offering nothing with Gorman playing zonal.  Eventually Mensing passes him on to Gorman leaving us with 2 defenders - or statues - who arent contributing.  Hutton by now is out of position covering the thrower, Gorman isnt tight to the scorer, Mensing doesnt back him up properly....

It's just a shambles of an organisation.   We were lucky that McIntosh and Stewart quickly made amends by carving out the winner.  

There is an easy solution by having Mensing and Gorman marking and McIntosh sweeping.   We got away with it against QP but it wont be as easy to score against Alloa.

The manager's job is to ensure every player has responsibilities and marking duties at set plays and that those players know they've to be in position quickly to react.

This isnt aftertiming as it's been the same message all season.   We are a disorganised mess at the back and we could easily have prevented 30 goals this season just by being better organised.

11 minutes ago, DestroyedByMadness said:

On the subject of goals Airdrie conceded it was again from 2 lots of mistakes we've seen time and again this season  which can only lead to the conclusion that our coaching staff are utterly useless.

Both goals are utterly preventable long before they final nail was struck - I have to clarify that as both QP strikes were sublime in their own right.

The first goal was from yet another easy to deal with long ball down the middle.   Yet again our back three are caught out playing too high.   If we're going to play a high flat line like that we need our forward unit to be pressing high to prevent that situation.   This time Gorman didnt get back quick enough and headed the ball vertically and was off balance for the second ball.   Mensing had dropped off as had McIntosh so the loose ball dropped kindly for the no. 10 who fairly smashed it home.   Seriously, why are they trying to play a flat zonal 3?  

2nd goal is incredibly sloppy.  From an innocuous throw in McIntosh prematurely hands the eventual crosser over to Stewart who isnt anywhere near in position.  Stewart cant prevent the cross because he was behind the play. The scorer is on Mensing who is offering nothing with Gorman playing zonal.  Eventually Mensing passes him on to Gorman leaving us with 2 defenders - or statues - who arent contributing.  Hutton by now is out of position covering the thrower, Gorman isnt tight to the scorer, Mensing doesnt back him up properly....

It's just a shambles of an organisation.   We were lucky that McIntosh and Stewart quickly made amends by carving out the winner.  

There is an easy solution by having Mensing and Gorman marking and McIntosh sweeping.   We got away with it against QP but it wont be as easy to score against Alloa.

The manager's job is to ensure every player has responsibilities and marking duties at set plays and that those players know they've to be in position quickly to react.

This isnt aftertiming as it's been the same message all season.   We are a disorganised mess at the back and we could easily have prevented 30 goals this season just by being better organised.

Agree with most of this but can we assume that it's all the management team's fault. Maybe part of it is players who can't follow instructions? One of the worst goals I can remember this season was MacDonald standing aside and ushering the East Fife? attacker in to have a free header. No coach can be blamed for that.

28 minutes ago, waysider said:

Agree with most of this but can we assume that it's all the management team's fault. Maybe part of it is players who can't follow instructions? One of the worst goals I can remember this season was MacDonald standing aside and ushering the East Fife? attacker in to have a free header. No coach can be blamed for that.

I didn't mention individual errors.   The post was about poor organisation.   You give the impression you have been around for a while.   Quite simply, would Doddie's diamonds concede those goals?

Even with McDonald's goal there is coaching the defence re balancing and small things like opening stance.   Most of the individual errors have stemmed from poor organisation.

I've been around for more time than I care to remember. Simply put, I can't think of many Airdrie defences who would lose these goals. As far as Doddie's diamonds were concerned, they were the best organised defence I've seen at Airdrie. What was most impressive was the fact that most of them were smallish yet we didn't lose many headers. Maybe part of the reason was that big Johnnie claimed any cross that came into the box!

20 minutes ago, waysider said:

I've been around for more time than I care to remember. Simply put, I can't think of many Airdrie defences who would lose these goals. As far as Doddie's diamonds were concerned, they were the best organised defence I've seen at Airdrie. What was most impressive was the fact that most of them were smallish yet we didn't lose many headers. Maybe part of the reason was that big Johnnie claimed any cross that came into the box!

Maybe because they actually competed too.  I remember PJ getting sent off in a cup game at Broadwood v. Raith and Jimmy Boyle constantly out jumping a 6'4" striker.   Good organisation and effort levels.    Remember on Saturday a loose ball on the air in QP's box and Brown didn't even make a challenge?   There's the difference.

Archibald's defence was well drilled too.  Armstrong was great at covering the centre halfs and Brady was an advanced screener in front of them.

8 hours ago, rough diamond said:

Really! Have a look at the highlights http://www.airdriefc.com/diamondstv/17/05/06 almost every Airdrie chance comes from inside your half!

1st Airdrie goal, straight run from just inside the halfway line, pass to left, 1st time square ball and 1st touch by Ryan is back of the net.

2nd starts on your right touch line, 3 passes later and again Ryan's 1st touch is back of the net.

3rd is 4 passes straight from the restart, 5th is down the wing to Stewart who crosses for Russell and guess what? Yep! 1st touch is back of the net.

Contrast QPs 1st, hoof up the park from midway in your own half, Airdrie defender misjudges the flight of the ball, it breaks and a sublime finish, but a text book "counter attack". The wind caused a lot of problems on Saturday, especially for those of us in the stand in a t-shirt.

That's fair enough RD and I won't argue with your in-depth analysis. However I wasn't basing my comments specifically on the goals but more on my general impression of the match. There were long periods of the game where our midfield completely dominated, and I found myself questioning where Airdrie's creativity would come from as I couldn't see in anyone in your midfield who looked capable of breaking down a compact defence. I'll have a look at the highlights when I get home, but my recollection of your three goals were that we were by no means "compact" for any of them and that your front three fully exploited the space we had afforded them. Don't get me wrong, I think your front three are great, but I think that by playing with a back three ourselves (which was probably forced somewhat by injury) then we made life a lot esier for them that might otherwise have been the case. I obviously don't get to see Airdrie as often as you, so am I being unfair in my criticism of your lack of midfield creativity (over the course of the season rather than in games against us)?

That's fair enough RD and I won't argue with your in-depth analysis. However I wasn't basing my comments specifically on the goals but more on my general impression of the match. There were long periods of the game where our midfield completely dominated, and I found myself questioning where Airdrie's creativity would come from as I couldn't see in anyone in your midfield who looked capable of breaking down a compact defence. I'll have a look at the highlights when I get home, but my recollection of your three goals were that we were by no means "compact" for any of them and that your front three fully exploited the space we had afforded them. Don't get me wrong, I think your front three are great, but I think that by playing with a back three ourselves (which was probably forced somewhat by injury) then we made life a lot esier for them that might otherwise have been the case. I obviously don't get to see Airdrie as often as you, so am I being unfair in my criticism of your lack of midfield creativity (over the course of the season rather than in games against us)?

We've scored 14 goals against you this season, I don't think creativity has been our problem.

I don't think you're being overly critical of our midfield as many on here will agree that it does tend to go missing. On its day though it can be creative and at times good to watch.

Archived