Andy Wightman - Green MSP - Defamation Case

• 1 year later...

Case is being heard this year.

I am not usually one to donate to crowdfunding but I made an exception for his last one and will do so again.

https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/legal-costs-of-defending-a-defamation-action

It is absolutely scandalous that someone needs this amount of money to defend themselves.    The system is broken (much like land ownership) and needs fixed.

• 9 months later...

Interesting line in the judgement. 

Among the classic definitions of defamation is whether the imputation would tend to “lower the [pursuer] in
the estimation of right-thinking members of society generally”

Basically where Wings came a cropper.

https://www.scotcourts.gov.uk/docs/default-source/cos-general-docs/pdf-docs-for-opinions/2020csoh30.pdf?sfvrsn=0

On 03/05/2017 at 20:59, strichener said:

Interesting to read that he has a "contractual obligation" to donate 20% of his net salary to the party.  I always new the Green Party were a fucking cult, I am not even sure Scientology has the balls to ask for this much.

Anyway, he seems a thoroughly decent guy and his book was a great read.  Donation made.

Sinn Fein had something similar - only took the average wage, I think (not sure what average wage they used, UK or RoI, probably whichever was the lower) but it suddenly became "voluntary" when one of their top dogs was found out not to be doing it.

And on a separate note, has this case been dragging on for 3 years?

All political parties have elected member levies. 20% is likely at the the steep end but it it's in the thousands for MPs/MSPs for the SNP.

I think Cllrs are about 500. 

Think I'll get a nice bottle of whisky with my Wightman refund.

Edited by invergowrie arab

• 1 year later...
On 05/02/2022 at 12:20, invergowrie arab said:

I thought similar but I'm shite at stuff like this.

200k legal bill + up to 30k other expenses = 230k - 170k expenses = 60k

170k raised - 60k = 110k to be reimbursed or 65% refund? 

I would have thought when you state your final legal costs were approx £200k then why would you have another 30k of expenses.

The only thing that make sense is that the payment is based only on the bond and not the award.

I guess we will see over the fullness of time.  He might have to wait for the pursuers to flog some more dodgy shite to pay their legal bill.

Edited by strichener