Andy Wightman - Green MSP - Defamation Case

Andy Wightman, author of The Poor Had No Lawyers, has to defend a defamation case.

http://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/awdefamation

http://www.andywightman.com/archives/4547

Has anyone else been following events?

He is a proponent of land reform. I'm not sure which blog posts the legal action refer to but he seems to be a bit of a target for wealthy landowners.

Interesting to read that he has a "contractual obligation" to donate 20% of his net salary to the party.  I always new the Green Party were a fucking cult, I am not even sure Scientology has the balls to ask for this much.

Anyway, he seems a thoroughly decent guy and his book was a great read.  Donation made.

I donated too. Pretty out of order that they can bankrupt you for taking them to task. I've read his blog posts and his book and they are nothing but reasonable. He quite rightly questions why parties haven't addressed land reform and highlights problems with land being owned by overseas companies.

Tricky to be sure seeing as the MSP's blog is now password protected and one can't read the offending article(s).

Reading round it though it seems like a petty spat between a broccoli muncher and a 'charity' over how funds are raised and apportioned wrt the protection of wild cats.  In the absence of evidence only a fool would contribute to his campaign.

8 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Tricky to be sure seeing as the MSP's blog is now password protected and one can't read the offending article(s).

Reading round it though it seems like a petty spat between a broccoli muncher and a 'charity' over how funds are raised and apportioned wrt the protection of wild cats.  In the absence of evidence only a fool would contribute to his campaign.

So, you've contributed?

Which articles did you read when you were reading around it?

Are you not a taker of the broccoli?

https://www.commonspace.scot/articles/2563/wildcat-haven-or-tax-haven-dodgy-return-highland-titles-plc
Here is a quick summary.
My Brother in Law bought my sister one of these "ladyships" for Christmas, think it was in the Glencoe area. Looked like a load o shite to me.

Aye, I found a few articles on it.

He's come to grief over this blog article but his articles are usually pretty fair. He just highlights various issues with land ownership in Scotland.

Now he's a Green MSP, he must have a bit of clout as the SNP need the Green votes. I would hope he is trying to get land reform back up the agenda in parliament. The only ones I can see being completely against it would be (surprise, surprise) the Tories.

10 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

Well that would be one way of looking at it. 

Of course another way would be to look at the history to see how the parties have acted in the past and determine which one has integrity.  I understand why this may be an alien concept to you.

https://www.commonspace.scot/articles/2563/wildcat-haven-or-tax-haven-dodgy-return-highland-titles-plc

Here is a quick summary.

My Brother in Law bought my sister one of these "ladyships" for Christmas, think it was in the Glencoe area. Looked like a load o shite to me.

Yes, I noticed that article.

And this one:

https://www.commonspace.scot/articles/10391/barmy-alarm-raised-over-750k-legal-threat-could-force-msp-out-office

And this one:

https://www.commonspace.scot/articles/10608/andy-wightman-msp-bankruptcy-threat-set-court-showdown

Andy is a solid gold lad.

I won't say what this lot are and what they have done until after the judgement but safe to say I would have full confidence he has done nothing wrong.

Mental that a successful defence could still cost you 60 K though.

13 hours ago, pandarilla said:

Are you not a taker of the broccoli?

Purple-stemmed broccoli sauted with a wee bit ginger and garlic is one of my famed 'sides'.  Aside from that?  I have no issue with the vegetables and hope they enjoy their forthcoming treble and likely unbeaten league campaign.

11 hours ago, strichener said:

Of course another way would be to look at the history to see how the parties have acted in the past and determine which one has integrity.  I understand why this may be an alien concept to you.

Well past performance is no guarantee etc etc and I have no reason to doubt the chap.  However, I've no reason to support him wrt his issue with the wild-cat lovers and we've not been given enough information to form a sensible view.

On 2017-5-5 at 08:16, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

Do you not get awarded costs if you win? Don't know much about law but if successfully proving your innocence can bankrupt you that seems like a pretty blatant defect in the system.

You do (generally) but in practice the amount awarded is almost always less than the actual amount it costs.

• 1 month later...