The Best and Worst of 2016/17

100% stolen from other boards on here, but if it’s good enough for the bigger diddies then it’s good enough for us.

Best team performance (Stirling Albion)

Had to be right at the start of the season for me, and the League Cup group match against FALKIRK. It may have been the opening day of the season but we just clicked that day and looked absolutely unbelievable. Forthbank was busy, the sun was out, we looked solid at the back and going forward, we were lethal and the new signings just seemed to click. Eddie Ferns looked like the find of the season……but everything went quickly downhill from there, especially for Stuart McLaren.

Worst team performance (Stirling Albion)

Although we have had some absolutely rotten performances this season, out of all the games I attended, the worst was against EDINBURGH CITY in December. It was just rotten to the core as we slumped to the bottom of the league. Even our better players looked rank rotten that day and if it wasn’t for Chris Smith, things could of been a lot bleaker. In over 30 years of watching football, I don’t think I have ever left a game early until that day. Then the supporters had to endure social media updates from the teams Christmas night Out in Dublin and seeing lots of players smiling in their Christmas jumpers…..great!

Best individual performance (Stirling Albion)

Dylan Bikey, Chris Smith, Darren Smith, Marc McKenzie and possibly a couple of others have won us points with great individual displays…..however SEAN DICKSON in the 2-2 draw against Arbroath gets this for me. Never been a fans favourite (although he’s rightly starting to enjoy a bit of adulation recently)  he started to win over the boo boys by taking this game by the scruff of the neck. After being 2-0 down he started to boss the Midfield, score a good goal to pull it back to 2-1 and then scored an absolute worldy in the last minute to bag us a deserved point.

Worst individual performance (Stirling Albion)

Christ, so many to mention…….some of the displays this season have been atrocious. I think I will go for BLAIR HENDERSON against Linlithgow Rose. So much was expected from the big fella, after his performances against us last season, the amount of goals he bagged for Berwick and the fact that he hit 4 against Elgin early in the season…..but he just seemed to fade away. After a spell on the bench, he was recalled for the Scottish Cup tie against Linlithgow. Forums and Social Media was full of speculating that this was going to be his breakthrough, the moment he showed us what we had signed in the summer. He did that alright, he was absolutely turgid (and has rarely improved all season) to the point that a section of Rose “fans” were actually laughing at him. The biggest comedy moment came when he tried to flick on an aimless hoof up the park, jumped up like a leaping salmon, only for the ball to drop about 3 yards behind him.

Best team performance (opposition)

Again there have been a few, Elgin City impressed me beating us 3 or 4 nil which forced the club into a rethink regarding Martyn Corrigan, Arbroath cut us to bits 5-3 in August and it could of easily have been about 10, but FORFAR ATHLETIC  looked very much a Championship winning team during both their visits to Forthbank. Going by some of the posts, it sounded like they kept both their best performances of the season against us and it was just days where they clicked. I don’t think we were necessarily bad, but Forfar were outstanding

Worst team performance (opposition)

CLYDE, we beat them 3-0 and 3-2 this season and both times they were poor but they were absolutely torture in the 3-2 game at Broadwood. The score did flatter them, and I’m not sure why it was as tight looking as that but they looked like real relegation candidates that day. Disorganised throughout, no idea going forward and just pumped long ball after long ball.

Best individual performance (opposition)

DALE CARRICK about 3 weeks ago was outstanding . Wasted at this level.

Worst individual performance (opposition)

Probably the first season where nobody has stood out for me in this category…….really can’t think of a single person that has been that honking that he has stood out. Might be harsh on the lad but I’ll go with CALLUM ANTELL at Edinburgh City. When I saw him play for East Stirlingshire a few years back he looked like he was on the road to being a top top Goalkeeper, during the 1-1 draw at Forthbank he looked very shaky and a shadow of the keeper he was 2-3 years ago. As I said, harsh, but I seriously can’t think of anyone who has played against us that has had a stinker.

Given that Annan lost 9 players before the current season started and had to very quickly assemble a new team based on youngsters that didn't know each other then finish third in a competitive league, must deserve recognition when suggesting best team performance .

5 hours ago, big al said:

We ( Cowden) were horsed out the cups by an under 21 side and a non league side. Doesn't get much worse than that.

we were horsed out the cups by an under 21 side and East Fife.....! 

Best team performance:

Arbroath looked superb against us when they beat us 2-0 at meadowbank. Totally dominated and looked like the only team I've seen this season worthy of being in league 1 next year.

Best City performance:

I'll have to go with the 3-0 win against Elgin. Showed absolutely no fear against a team that have tanked us on 3 previous occasions during the season. Elgin were missing some key players so I'll give em some credit but that day we looked great in every department.

Best opposition player:

Dylan Bikey(Stirling) for me. We kept him quieter then he should have been but you can see he has bags of talent and way too good for this level. Won't be surprised if he's at a Championship club on loan next year maybe even getting some games for Hearts as well. Really enjoyable player to watch. 

Worst opposition player:

Blair Henderson(Stirling). Never thought he was any good. Still isn't any good at this level but will probably do a job for a lowland league club and get goals there. Certainly not a football league player.

Best City player:

Joe Mbu. Was a few to pick from here but Mbu is our rock. Without him we'd have conceded a lot more. Nothing gets past him. Really hope his knee surgery goes well and he's fully fit for next season. Probably the best lower league defender I've ever seen.

Worst City player:

Not gonna name a player at all because what we've achieved is incredible but what has annoyed me is the amount of people I saw in the stands wearing city shirts at the start of the season then never saw again after not winning at all until November. If your not gonna be there for the bad times and support the club through it then you don't deserve to ride the wave when things are going good in my opinion. A football club isn't a novelty act. 

Best fans:

Gonna hand this to Cowdenbeath. Friendliest I've come across. What they've had to endure and still might endure must be sickening to them. I hope they stay up. The fans deserve better. 

Worst fans:

Berwick Rangers

Not sure if this is the right place for this take but Gary Jardine is manager of the year by a distance for me. To turn City around after that start, to adapt to a new league and stop his players heads going down is a remarkable achievement.

Montrose away at Turriff will take some beating for me with regard to worst of the worst. I went away from that thinking at least the HL could provide a few good days out before we disappear.

Archived