Carabao Cup

MEADOWXI

What is the record aggregate win this late in a competition?
Know you used to get big wins in early Euro rounds due to mismatches but by the semi-final it must be almost unheard of for such an easy win
I know you specifically asked about results this late in the competition but didn't the League Cup have two legged ties in the very early stages too? I seem to remember a bit in an old Saint and Greavsie annual (one for the kids there) where they had a photo of a Fulham programme which stated that if the aggregate score was level at the end of 90 minutes, extra time would be played. It then pointed out (in the book, not the programme) that Fulham had lost the first leg 10-1 to Liverpool.

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First Round was made 2-legged from 1975-76 so everyone got a home game and this was extended to the Second Round from 1979-80, due to the expansion of European football these were abolished from 2001-02. There were also replays until 1997-98.

It's had 2-legged SFs since it started, as an alternative to playing them at a neutral venue on a weekend. Final was also 2-legged until 1966-67 when it moved to Wembley and received a European place (IIRC). Of course the tournament only started in 1960-61 when it replaced the old Southern Professional Floodlit Cup.

Without being date specific - at various points penalties were introduced after 2nd legs or replays.

EDIT: For completeness... the Full Members Cup SFs were 2-legged for 1989-90 to 1991-92, as were both SFs and Final of the one-off Super Cup of 1985-86.

13 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:
On 10/01/2019 at 12:10, MEADOWXI said:
What is the record aggregate win this late in a competition?
Know you used to get big wins in early Euro rounds due to mismatches but by the semi-final it must be almost unheard of for such an easy win

I know you specifically asked about results this late in the competition but didn't the League Cup have two legged ties in the very early stages too? I seem to remember a bit in an old Saint and Greavsie annual (one for the kids there) where they had a photo of a Fulham programme which stated that if the aggregate score was level at the end of 90 minutes, extra time would be played. It then pointed out (in the book, not the programme) that Fulham had lost the first leg 10-1 to Liverpool.

If only away goals had counted and a narrow 9-0 home win would have turned things round.

The 2 leg thing for the semi-final is a tricky one.  Burton`s best hope against City was an agreement to decide the tie by rock, paper, scissors but certainly over 2 legs they had zero chance. They`ll be consoled by the huge sum of money earned though. The Spurs Chelsea semi over 2 legs has all the makings of a great tie but could equally have been just as good as a single match.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Archived