Carabao Cup

MEADOWXI

Is it just me who thinks this doesn't reflect well on Sarri at all?

Don't get me wrong, the keeper really should have went when the board has gone up but consider his feelings and what would have been going through his head at the time. He's clearly fit and the manager wants to substitute him in a cup final with a minute to go - I could see why any player would be devastated with that and quite emotional. He's only human.

If Sarri wants to make a tactical change and play a different keeper in the shootout, I think any manager with man management skills would have talked that through at length previously so it wasn't a nasty surprise. The reaction of Caballero being so embarrassed and none of the players really caring suggests to me that they don't rate the managers people skills either.

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even Stevie Wonder can see right through that statement - handed out for dictated from high above. 

Kepa has not embarrassed Sarri, but has utterly humiliated him. Speaks volumes that none of the senior players in that Chelsea side saw fit to tell the 'keeper to get off the pitch either. Could you imagine Vincent Kompany, for example, standing by if Ederson had refused to leave the pitch in similar circumstances? Not a chance. Any authority Sarri had over that squad is gone. 

9 hours ago, harry94 said:

Is it just me who thinks this doesn't reflect well on Sarri at all?

Don't get me wrong, the keeper really should have went when the board has gone up but consider his feelings and what would have been going through his head at the time. He's clearly fit and the manager wants to substitute him in a cup final with a minute to go - I could see why any player would be devastated with that and quite emotional. He's only human.

If Sarri wants to make a tactical change and play a different keeper in the shootout, I think any manager with man management skills would have talked that through at length previously so it wasn't a nasty surprise. The reaction of Caballero being so embarrassed and none of the players really caring suggests to me that they don't rate the managers people skills either.

Kepa had gone down twice in quick succession holding his thigh and needing the physio on, can completely see why Sarri thought that might hinder his ability to save penalties.

30 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Kepa had gone down twice in quick succession holding his thigh and needing the physio on, can completely see why Sarri thought that might hinder his ability to save penalties.

Even if he had no injury, the manager has said he wants you off. Basically telling him to f**k off and refusing to leave the pitch is wild. 

Sarri taking the blame. That's sheer class from him when it's clearly not the case. Deluded, embarrassing but fair play to Sarri.
I can see what you mean but there's nothing classy about that situation.

I can't believe he didn't stand his ground, and just make the substitution. Just go ahead with it, until kepa finishes his tantrum.

Kepa was well within his rights to make it clear he was gutted by the situation, but then be the bigger man. (Like the Dutch example at the world cup)

11 hours ago, harry94 said:

He's clearly fit

He shouldn't have been rolling about the ground then. If he was wasting time, why didn't he tell the physio that?

He's been caught out, undermined the manager, who then completely mis-handled it. No-one comes out of it well.

Sarri should have gone on, belted him and resigned on the spot.

Keppa saying in a statement apparently that he wasn’t injured he was time wasting to take it to penalties and thats where the misunderstanding came from. Thats all fine and well but you only saved one of they penalties.
Not defending him here, but when the physio went on to assess him, did the physio call for the substitution to be made? Because when the manager makes the change it’s usually on the advice of the physio, that seems to have been lost in all this.

16 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yup, Kepa been down twice in extra time with an injury, absolute joke hes not going off.

Sarri backing down has just signed his own resignation.

He didn't back down. I was not aware of the rule myself but the keeper refused to come off. That's why Sarri went nuts.

Can't believe none of the players on the pitch took charge of the situation. 

6 minutes ago, ajwffc said:

Kepa has been fined a weeks wages 

Bit of a minter for them to say it was a 'misunderstanding' only to now acknowledge he did indeed refuse & fine him.

Archived