Rovers v Ayr - worst sides in the league

tbh i like raith in this league but with that dinosaur at the helm i have no sympathy. if you bin him post play offs welcome back.

Edited to add alloa is far handier doon ye go.

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, baillieinleeds said:

How was it an embarrassment, I think both sets of fans were applauding each other. You have it your best shot with limited funds, or so I'm led to believe. Getting Harkins was a good bit of business, maybe not as agile as he once was, but still made his presence felt

You talk for your own team, at no time this season have Ayr gave it their best shot and the supposed £350k subsidy from the chairman isn't limited in my book, as for Harkins, we paid him at least £500 a week more than he was worth, hopefully he's out the door sharpish as his attitude is rank rotten for someone with a coaching role.

I actually really enjoyed that despite the inevitable outcome. We showed a hell of alot of fight. It's important to take any positive at all that we can going into Wednesday.

11 hours ago, Starks Park Kdy said:

No not really, I can only describe his body position as a running motion, the ball was blasted from two yards away, he's not moved his hand towards the ball and not made his body bigger by putting his arm out.

Well then that is 'natural' then. Obviously I've not seen this incident so not commenting on it. But in that scenario that sounds fine.

As has been pointed out it's a stupid phrase, but it was a phrase used to try and find a way to tell if a player had deliberately made himself bigger so that the ball hit them. There is nothing in the laws directly mentioning 'unnatural', but it does say that the position of the player's arms must be considered. Which is effectively saying 'have they deliberately put their arms in a position to increase the chances of the ball hitting them or not?'. The 'unnatural position' phrase is just a summation of that.

For what it's worth to Rovers I can't see them having any issues winning the play-offs. Brechin, and ourselves if it came to it, are nowhere near good enough. Alloa have enough about them to be stuffy and maybe get a goal or two, but over two legs you'd beat them relatively comfortably.

Weirdly, the hardest bit will probably be the first leg on Wedneday, a lot of the players will have been half thinking about being in their holidays (have been for a while by the sounds of it), and now they're faced with a midweek trip to Brechin - who will be really up for, a bit of a reality check. Just need to make sure they are professional about it.

Shocking challenge by the Raith keeper all the same.  Keepers jumping into players with their knee has been creeping into the game for a few years and needs addressing.  

Not much else you can say about that game, though it did look a pretty clear handball for the penalty.  Special mention for the contribution of Brian "hospital ball" Gilmour at Raith's first goal.

McCall might be looking to get rid of Harkins, but seriously, who would be mug enough to take him?

1 hour ago, Shibuya said:

Good luck to Rovers in the playoffs, I'd rather not be up against a full time team next season.

Nah, they've been as shockingly bad as ourselves, teams like that don't deserve a 2nd opportunity to stink out a division.

38 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

Nah, they've been as shockingly bad as ourselves, teams like that don't deserve a 2nd opportunity to stink out a division.

Well if we make it through 4 ties then we quite clearly deserve to be in this league again next season.  Its a tall order though.  We finished level on points with two other sides so its not as if there are two teams totally detached at the bottom.  Playoff system is fair and we absolutely deserve to be there.

Was surprised to see a side yesterday who are a fair bit worse than us though.  Part time or not, Ayr are total muck.  I cant believe they approached the game in such a meek manner.  There was a (very slight) chance they could still stay up, and had they got an early goal with our keeping sent off..could have been interesting.

Interesting things to take from the highlights.

Moore's push on Barr immediately before there collision may actually have had some bearing on the impact, I think perhaps he was trying to push Barr into Penksa. Penksa is attempting to clear the ball but it's poor, poor judgement from him.

The Ayr penalty, at a range of about a yard and a half I don't think there's much Bene could have done to get out of the way of it but admittedly if it were for us I'd have been shouting for it.

Speaking of which, the booking for Handling's dive is very harsh, he looks to have been pushed by one of the chasing 2 defenders and if so it's a foul but the way he went down made it look too theatrical. 

Hope our highlights show the offside goal better, to see if he was in line of if the lino called it right.

Another game where the Ref gave us little but for the 1st time this season it didn't effect the outcome.

How Davo stayed on the park at the pen is a wonder as is how Harkings played the full 90 without even a yellow to his name.

Well if we make it through 4 ties then we quite clearly deserve to be in this league again next season.  Its a tall order though.  We finished level on points with two other sides so its not as if there are two teams totally detached at the bottom.  Playoff system is fair and we absolutely deserve to be there.
Was surprised to see a side yesterday who are a fair bit worse than us though.  Part time or not, Ayr are total muck.  I cant believe they approached the game in such a meek manner.  There was a (very slight) chance they could still stay up, and had they got an early goal with our keeping sent off..could have been interesting.

Don't think you will find any Ayr fans disagreeing with this. We have meekly surrendered in almost every huge game for months.

1 hour ago, CALDERON said:

Nah, I'm consistent with my opinion that both teams should be subject to straight relegation(even when Ayr finished 9th the last time round) and playoffs should only be for teams looking for promotion, all across nature the deadwood makes way for new blood.

The other 2 teams that finished level at least tried to play football with passion in recent months, our 2 teams for the most part have played passionless football that would see football banned if it was replicated across all teams in all leagues.

None of my posts are actually against Raith, my posts would be the same if it was Saints,Dumbarton or anyone else had finished 9th or 10th and played such a shite brand of football

Raith should cruise the playoffs, we humped Brechin 1-5 when we were rotten at the start of the season. Anyone know how long the Raith keeper will be suspended for that challenge could of seriously injured both outfield players. Hope `Raith stay up as I've quite enjoyed our games this season 

From watching the highlights, it seems like the referee got most of the key decisions correct with one exception.

- Penska sending off is spot on.

- I'm really surprised to be saying this but the penalty looks like the right decision, too. Really strange watching it again, it's absolutely nothing like I remember seeing at the time. I thought his hand was much, much lower than it was.

- Handling booking for diving seems harsh. He get to the ball first and definitely gets a push.

Archived