Rovers v Ayr - worst sides in the league

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, The Moonster said:

I don't think I've ever heard John Hughes say a good word about his Raith squad in an interview. It's almost as if the Raith players don't like being told that they're shite by a guy who clearly doesn't give two fucks if they go down.

Reminds me a bit of the time Paul Martin called the Dumbarton players "a bunch of fucking losers" in the midst of a relegation battle. Surprisingly, they didn't rally around after those comments. 

Great stuff from Yogi. Can imagine his players brushing their teeth this morning - "mirror, mirror on the wall, who is the most humble, hard working laddie of them all".

2 minutes ago, Waspie said:

Reminds me a bit of the time Paul Martin called the Dumbarton players "a bunch of fucking losers" in the midst of a relegation battle. Surprisingly, they didn't rally around after those comments. 

Great stuff from Yogi. Can imagine his players brushing their teeth this morning - "mirror, mirror on the wall, who is the most humble, hard working laddie of them all".

Indeed, Hughes (and Martin at that point in his career) fails to realise that not every player has the same attitude as them or react in the same way to criticism as them, it's a failure of their management IMO. Martin learned a lot from that though and grew into a good manager with Albion Rovers. I don't see Hughes learning and changing his ways.

19 hours ago, Bazil85 said:

Both teams still have a lot to play for IMO, Raith the obvious avoid the play-off spot but for the Ayr players they're playing for pride and potentially their footballing future next season.  Obviously as a St Mirren fan I'm hoping Ayr get something to take the pressure off us at Hibs but I think this game could surprise a few. 

To the Ayr squad playing for pride is an alien concept. As a St.Mirren fan you should already know that. 

Mr Hughes, you bang on about fundamentals. The biggest and most important fundamental should be YOU selecting a line up and formation most likely to win given football match. Yesterday, barring some almighty luck, we were beat before a ball was kicked. 

I haven't a clue what will happen on Sat, regularly this game would finish 0-0 but considering Ayr need at least 5 goals and we need any kind of victory then surely it's impossible to be goalless. Probably end up a high scoring draw or we will win only for St Mirren to get result at Easter Rd.

Wouldnt fancy our chances in any play off either. Imagine going to Brechin or wherever playing a confident team buzzing with a chance of big scalp and moving closer to Championship football while we will likely be our usual lazy, slack, apparently couldn't give a shit selves with the poor me, poor me attitude... This season has been a joke from start to finish

An ayr win condemning us to the playoffs before whoever it is send us down. As counterproductive as it is, i think they players deserve to be slaughtered for their half arsed attitude this season. Mixed with having gary locke in charge, and now a manager who won't bother if we go down, its been a recipe for disaster this season. On Wednesday when we equalised, i did say it looked like they actually cared. How wrong was i? 

Well done to st. Mirren, that has been some turnaround and to all but seal survival the way you did on saturday, your manager deserves a lot of credit.  

To be fair watched his interview and he did say hes even tried building them up  and being more or less being warm and fuzzy with them. If thats not worked then the only option he has got is to be the bad guy in it both different styles of management but i reckon whats been said pretty much bang on if they had chucked in the towel beforehand they have definitely chucked it in now.

I sort of agree with his view on society being to blame if you have a 2 yr contract are you really going to give a toss regardless if you play sh*te or not wait till last 6 months of your contract then pull the finger out in the hope someone notices you.

At least he didnt give it the step up to the plate comment.

Ayr race to an unexpected 2-0 lead after 10 minutes. Raith pull together and hold it till half time. Ayr come out the traps again and get another 2, one from the penalty spot to go 4-0 up. Raith down to 10 men with a red card from the penalty incident. 35 minutes to go. Raith park the bus until the 92nd minute and give away another penalty, which is scored, with another player sent off. Ayr up 5-0 in the 93rd minute. Raith kick off with 1 minute left on the clock and immediately break up the park, and score a consolation goal that sends Ayr United to the 1st division.

Archived