2017/18 League Cup

craigkillie

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not sure what the north south thing achieves as it is unlikely any of the southern games will be televised

It prevents fixtures such as Annan away to Buckie on a Tuesday night. It's an excellent thing.

20 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

It prevents fixtures such as Annan away to Buckie on a Tuesday night. It's an excellent thing.

This - basically it stops the likes of Inverness, Peterhead and Buckie playing the likes of QotS, Stranraer and Berwick.

I think there was a misplaced expectation that it'd mean lots of local games and derbies - although it obviously increases the chances - but you won't get that with just 2 regions.

3 hours ago, lubo_blaha said:

Interesting (or not) that Edinburgh City were put in the South section based on their old ground.

It's not done like that. They divide into seeds then halve into regions, not the other way around. They were never in same consideration as Hearts or Hibs.

3 hours ago, malkybck said:

how do they decide who your home and away against? random?

hopefully get at least one of the dundee teams at home for a big gate!!

There is definitely some kind of pre-set system - for example last season (with the exception of the Motherwell & Rangers group) all the first seeds were at home to the second seeds on the middle Saturday; all the first seeds had the preceding midweek off; and so on.

My recollection is that the unseeded clubs were positioned by random draw or the order in which they were drawn, as opposed to any ranking.

Put simply:

* the first seeds played AXHAH
* the seconds seeds played AHAXH
* the unseeded clubs played respectively HAHAX... HAXHA... and XHAHA

and

* the first seeds played the second seeds and 1 unseeded at home; 2 unseeded away
* the second seeds played 2 unseeded at home; the first seeds and 1 unseeded away
* two unseeded clubs each played the first seeds and a fellow unseeded at home, the second seed and a fellow unseeded away... the other played the second seed and a fellow unseeded at home, the first seed and a fellow unseeded away

and

* the first seeds got both home games on weekends
* the second seeds got 1 home game on weekend
* the unseeded clubs got respectively both home games... 1 home game... and no home games on weekends

So to answer the original question - if the same system is used you are bound to play either Dundee or Dundee Utd at home, but not both, and it's more likely to be Dundee.

2 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

There is definitely some kind of pre-set system - for example last season (with the exception of the Motherwell & Rangers group) all the first seeds were at home to the second seeds on the middle Saturday; all the first seeds had the preceding midweek off; and so on.

My recollection is that the unseeded clubs were positioned by random draw or the order in which they were drawn, as opposed to any ranking.

Put simply:

* the first seeds played AXHAH
* the seconds seeds played AHAXH
* the unseeded clubs played HAHAX, HAXHA and XHAHA respectively

and

* the first seeds played the second seeds and 1 unseeded at home; 2 unseeded away
* the second seeds played 2 unseeded at home; the first seeds and 1 unseeded away
* two unseeded clubs each played the first seeds and a fellow unseeded at home, the second seed and a fellow unseeded away; the other played the second seed and a fellow unseeded at home, the firs seed and a fellow unseeded awat

and

* the first seeds got both home games on weekends
* the second seeds got 1 home game on weekend
* the unseeded clubs got respectively both home games; 1 home game; and no home games on weekends

So to answer the question - if the same system is used you are bound to play either Dundee or Dundee Utd at home, but not both, and it's more likely to be Dundee.

Could the unseeded clubs not have been ranked by how they finished the season previous? That's what I seem to recall.

2 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Could the unseeded clubs not have been ranked by how they finished the season previous? That's what I seem to recall.

Someone suggested that earlier: but there were 2 out of 8 groups (25%) where this didn't occur and with no obvious reason for that departure if so?

Everything else was exact, except the Motherwell & Rangers group ordering and that was presumably for TV purposes as 3 of the initial 5 TV selections were from that group.

Guessing the TV picks will be: Dundee-Dundee Utd, couple of Hearts games, couple of Hibs games, plus they'll save the last one again to see if any issue is live in the final weekend.

Could argue Kilmarnock-Ayr - but would that generate big viewership?

I guess the distribution of non-seed fixtures is just random.

In any case, I'd be surprised if the first five TV fixtures weren't:

Dundee v Dundee Utd
2x Hearts away
2x Hibs away (one of which will be Ross County v Hibs).

Then the 6th pick being a game from the final round with something riding on it.

Edit: Jinx! :lol: 

The schedule for the second seeded clubs (2) last season the schedule was:

(top flight seed = 1, unseeded in draw order = 3, 4, 5)

4 v 2
2 v 5 (midweek)
1 v 2
(free midweek)
2 v 3

Worth also noting for the TV picks is that the blackout only comes into force at the start of the league season so Saturday 3pm kick-offs can be televised, as happened with Motherwell v (The) Rangers last season.

6 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

This is also why I wonder if Killie v Ayr won't make it. Unless they shuffle order of a section, it'll be the same weekend as Dundee v Dundee Utd, Hearts v Dunfermline and RC v Hibs.

Ayr were unseeded so it'll be a different round of fixtures 

11 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

This is also why I wonder if Killie v Ayr won't make it. Unless they shuffle order of a section, it'll be the same weekend as Dundee v Dundee Utd, Hearts v Dunfermline and RC v Hibs.

I can't see Hearts v Dunfermline making the cut. Hearts' away games are more likely to be picked.

It's impossible to say until the fixtures are decided, but I suspect that because Hearts are first seeds and Hibs are second, the fixtures will work out nicely in terms of being able to show both away games for both teams without needing to "shuffle" or "double up" (with the only double-header being on the weekend of the Dundee derby). 

4 hours ago, The_Judge said:

EK get a South Lanarkshire derby with Premier league Hamilton 8) Hope the away games are QoS and Stenny :angel

The only team in the cup who could consider Hamilton away as a payday

Archived