Oor Nicola Sturgeon thread.

Pearbuyerbell

32 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

No I've got colleagues and family members who specifically say they can't be arsed learning the new tiers and are just going to use their own common sense.

And my take on that is that it leads back to folk being scunnered with Covid-19. If this exchange were taking place in April or May, they might not be quite so set against understanding the detail for where they live. That's because we closed down as a country and we re-opened as a country. If we want to go back to that, everyone will need to open up at the pace of the worst area. And that's not tenable now that there is enough data to be more specific. That data now exists at council ward level so the Scottish Government should absolutely use it. 

If Sturgeon came out and said to people in the Highlands that everything was closed because Renfrewshire was a bit fucked, they'd be rightly miffed. So yes, at individual level, people might decide to go for common sense in terms of how they behave but the government determine where they're allowed to use that common sense. It's not rocket surgery but it is scunnering - in part because we can't see an end to it as we move into the shite that is winter. 

7 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

yeah thats a fair point about exiting/entering restrictions.

All that said, having different rules for different areas creates its own issues. I was talking to someone from Fife at the weekend and it is apparent that the place is being inundated by daytrippers from Edinburgh, in turn leaving people wondering whether different levels is worth the bother. It is worth the bother because for every 10 from Edinburgh who go to Fife for a Saturday afternoon, there are thousands who just accept the rules. 

4 minutes ago, HTG said:

All that said, having different rules for different areas creates its own issues. I was talking to someone from Fife at the weekend and it is apparent that the place is being inundated by daytrippers from Edinburgh, in turn leaving people wondering whether different levels is worth the bother. It is worth the bother because for every 10 from Edinburgh who go to Fife for a Saturday afternoon, there are thousands who just accept the rules. 

Aye, there were people on here a while back claiming if there were different rules in England, Glasgow would empty with everyone going down to Carlisle for a pint.

19 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Aye, there were people on here a while back claiming if there were different rules in England, Glasgow would empty with everyone going down to Carlisle for a pint.

Which is of course nonsense. Aye you might get a couple of trains with 500 people on them. But the other million folk would stay in Glasgow. 

2 hours ago, strichener said:

You can call me anything you want. 

One word covers yourself - Wrong.   The Scotland Act 1998 and Scotland Act 2012 both provided the Scottish Government the ability to borrow from the NLF for resource expenditure.  Here is the fiscal framework agreed between the UK and Scottish Governments.  Fiscal Framework.   I suggest you read it before posting more ignorant nonsense.  @BawWatchin You would do well to read it as well.

As i've already pointed out to you, NLF borrowing has to be paid back within a year. The only exception to this rule is when devolved taxes are less than projection, which gives up to 4 years.

It's not like Westminster borrowing where they can just pay it back when they feel like as long as they cover the interest payments.

2 hours ago, Baxter Parp said:

"In summary, the Scottish Government can borrow up to £450m per annum for capital investment (a cap of £3bn). On resource spending, they can borrow up to £600m per annum (a cap of £1.75bn), but only for ‘forecast error’ and ‘cash management’. They cannot borrow to fund discretionary resource spending."

https://fraserofallander.org/scottish-economy/fiscal-stimulus-plus-a-note-about-borrowing-powers/#:~:text=In%20summary%2C%20the%20Scottish%20Government,to%20fund%20discretionary%20resource%20spending.

"Scottish Ministers currently have no powers to raise extra resources by borrowing or sanctioning borrowing."

https://www.gov.scot/publications/scottish-public-finance-manual/borrowing-lending-and-investment/borrowing-lending-and-investment/

Maybe you're just too stupid to consider the circumstances under which Scot Gov can borrow before you post your shite.

Deary me.  Stupid doesn't cover you.

Your quote should be "Scottish Ministers currently have no powers to raise extra resources by borrowing or sanctioning borrowing.*"  That little asterisk makes all the difference.

*Following the Scotland Acts 2012 and 2016, the Scottish Government has the power to undertake capital borrowing of up to £3 billion (with an annual limit of £450m) and resource borrowing of up to £1.75 billion (with an annual limit of £600m). Resource borrowing can only be undertaken in very specific circumstances, as set out in the Fiscal Framework agreed by the Scottish and UK Governments. Decisions on the use of borrowing powers are set out by the Cabinet Secretary for Finance, Economy and Fair Work in the annual Budget, Medium-term Financial Strategy, and Spending Review documents.

Quite a difference from

On 26/10/2020 at 12:15, Baxter Parp said:

We got borrowing powers for infrastructure, you disingenuous, duplicitous c**t.

Perhaps you can tell me what the resource borrowing allows (hint: it may (will) contradict what you have already posted).

tl;dr - Scotland can spend it's budget and can borrow money since the Scotland Act 1998.  It has choosen not to spend enough on becoming world leaders in renewables.  What we have done is become one of the leaders in utilising renewables without the country receiving the benefits.

Perhaps you can tell me what the resource borrowing allows (hint: it may (will) contradict what you have already posted).
tl;dr - Scotland can spend it's budget and can borrow money since the Scotland Act 1998.  It has choosen not to spend enough on becoming world leaders in renewables.  What we have done is become one of the leaders in utilising renewables without the country receiving the benefits.

The elephant in the room which you are both ignoring is that BiFab's bid was as competitive as any UK or European Yard - it just could not compete with the ridiculously low Chinese offers.  

The Contract for Difference Subsidy auction has caused a race to the bottom that no Scottish or UK yard can win.

7 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

The elephant in the room which you are both ignoring is that BiFab's bid was as competitive as any UK or European Yard - it just could not compete with the ridiculously low Chinese offers.  

The Contract for Difference Subsidy auction has caused a race to the bottom that no Scottish or UK yard can win.

Who awards the contracts and on what basis are they accepted

Who awards the contracts and on what basis are they accepted    

These are not public sector contracts.     

EDF Renewables and Irish energy company ESB is building the Neart na Gaoithe offshore wind farm project with funding from 25 financial institutions.

Contract for Subsidy has been set up in such a way that the subsidy is so low that UK firms would need to bid lower than any project in the UK so far.

https://www.rivieramm.com/opinion/opinion/exclusive-offshore-wind-subsidy-could-be-as-low-as-2mwh-22073

6 hours ago, strichener said:

Deary me.  Stupid doesn't cover you.

Your quote should be "Scottish Ministers currently have no powers to raise extra resources by borrowing or sanctioning borrowing.*"  That little asterisk makes all the difference.

Quite a difference from

for in-year cash management, with an annual limit of £500m;
 for forecast error in relation to devolved and assigned taxes and demand-led
welfare expenditure arising from forecasts of Scottish receipts/expenditure and
corresponding UK forecasts for the Block Grant Adjustments, with an annual limit
of £300m; and
 for any observed or forecast shortfall in devolved or assigned tax receipts or
demand-led welfare expenditure incurred where there is, or is forecast to be, a
Scotland-specific economic shock, with an annual limit of £600m.

It doesn't contradict anything, you're firing a shotgun full of shit and hoping it sticks and hoping nobody actually reads the Fiscal Framework. You're a lying duplicitous, dishonest c**t arguing in bad faith.

tl;dr - Scotland can spend it's budget and can borrow money since the Scotland Act 1998.  It has choosen not to spend enough on becoming world leaders in renewables.  What we have done is become one of the leaders in utilising renewables without the country receiving the benefits.

You're claiming that borrowing rules that have nothing to do with industrial investment and can only be used to correct fiscal errors and shortfalls could have been used to create an entire wind-turbine industry.  I'd f**k off and hide for a bit, if I were you.

Edited by Baxter Parp

39 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

corresponding UK forecasts for the Block Grant Adjustments, with an annual limit
of £300m; and
 for any observed or forecast shortfall in devolved or assigned tax receipts or

It doesn't contradict anything, you're firing a shotgun full of shit and hoping it sticks and hoping nobody actually reads the Fiscal Framework. You're a lying duplicitous, dishonest c**t arguing in bad faith.

You're claiming that borrowing rules that have nothing to do with industrial investment and can only be used to correct fiscal errors and shortfalls could have been used to create an entire wind-turbine industry.  I'd f**k off and hide for a bit, if I were you.

If you were me you would have been correct but you aren't and you still have no idea what the resource borrowing is for.

4 minutes ago, strichener said:

If you were me you would have been correct but you aren't and you still have no idea what the resource borrowing is for.

of £300m; and

I just told you.