Oor Nicola Sturgeon thread.

Pearbuyerbell

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this is the right thread, but:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-63659754

NHS chiefs in Scotland discuss having wealthy pay for treatment

This paragraph, if the reporting is accurate, would be a sacking offence for whichever Scottish Government minister(s) gave it the green light IMO:

The group were then advised that they had been given the "green light to present what boards feel reform may look like" and that "areas which were previously not viable options are now possibilities".

Any such brief must come with clear parameters one of which would prevent this idea from even being discussed.

27 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

This paragraph, if the reporting is accurate, would be a sacking offence for whichever Scottish Government minister(s) gave it the green light IMO:

The group were then advised that they had been given the "green light to present what boards feel reform may look like" and that "areas which were previously not viable options are now possibilities".

Any such brief must come with clear parameters one of which would prevent this idea from even being discussed.

Wonderful.

Looks like the beginning of the end of the NHS.

It'll not happen overnight but at last the door has been opened.

3 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Think there very much has to be a rationalising of the NHS, unfortunately been allowed to fester and be destroyed by years of mismanagement, Humza is completely incompetent and should be bumped. 

I agree with all of that.

Apart from the bit about the NHS being destroyed.

Apart from the part about Humza Yousaf being completely incompetent. Not even DRoss is completely incompetent.

Also I'm not clear if you are referring to the health service in a Scottish context or if you are making a UK wide point.

1 minute ago, sophia said:

I agree with all of that.

Apart from the bit about the NHS being destroyed.

-it is, the provision of service is no where near good enough, gone from around 8-10 out of hours doctors in the greater glasgow area to 1, people waiting hours in agony for morphine drivers, cancers being missed by understaffed GP surgeries, insufficient recruitment of doctors and provision of medical school places, people waiting far longer than they should for treatment, children waiting years for psychiatric help. But if you think thats alright and not symptomatic of a failing system then i don’t know what to tell you. 

Apart from the part about Humza Yousaf being completely incompetent. Not even DRoss is completely incompetent.

- Humza Yousaf is an abysmal politician, he has done absolutely nothing to improve the lives of Scottish people, his incompetence at Transport and Justice should have seen him binned, but yet again he was promoted far beyond his abilities to arguably one of the most important roles in Scottish Government. 

Also I'm not clear if you are referring to the health service in a Scottish context or if you are making a UK wide point.

- both, there are factors at play at  each level. The austerity agenda of the Tories obviously has an impact, but the management of the SNHS is equally rotten. 

24 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

So we're agreed that the snhs isn't destroyed, HY isn't completely incompetent, the UK government's policies are the core of the issue and the pompous management within the snhs isn't helping?

Perhaps there are vested interests that fear and will battle the Scottish Government's national care service proposals for personal and political gain.

On 21/11/2022 at 09:21, Granny Danger said:

Most people with cash already do this to a degree, paying for private dental, physiotherapy, chiropractor, podiatry etc etc and many have private health insurance through Bupa.   

1 minute ago, FFCinthearea said:

Most people with cash already do this to a degree, paying for private dental, physiotherapy, chiropractor, podiatry etc etc and many have private health insurance through Bupa.   

Aye, that's the thing. Private healthcare is already available for the well-off. Folk who delight in the idea of the NHS being wound up are essentially hoping that people at the bottom of society end up without, in the vain hope that it personally saves them a paltry amount that they don't need.

If they were being honest, it amounts to spite.

3 hours ago, FFCinthearea said:

In addition, people seem quite happy to shell out huge sums to vets to keep their pets alive.

Says it all.

Suffer and wait under the NHS or do your own thing.

In addition, people seem quite happy to shell out huge sums to vets to keep their pets alive.
Says it all.
Well aye. If a fair chunk of my taxes went to Vets though then I'd be expecting free treatment for my pet as well.

Says it all.
Ah yes private veterinary care rather than getting the dugs cancer treated on the NVS [emoji2957][emoji2957][emoji2957]

What a bizarre analogy.

The following two statements are both true and not mutually exclusive

1. Having an NHS that’s free at the point of use and based on clinical need rather than ability to pay is a very good and important thing and we should absolutely protect that

2. It absolutely makes sense to pay for private medical insurance if you have the means to do so because the standard of private care is far superior to that which the state provides 

50 minutes ago, Donathan said:

The following two statements are both true and not mutually exclusive

1. Having an NHS that’s free at the point of use and based on clinical need rather than ability to pay is a very good and important thing and we should absolutely protect that

2. It absolutely makes sense to pay for private medical insurance if you have the means to do so because the standard of private care is far superior to that which the state provides 

Regarding 1, it is a good and important thing and, if it can’t fulfil my needs in a reasonable time, then it should pay for my private treatment.

On 2 , I don’t think the standard of treatment is far superior to that which the state provides. It’s just that the state is unable to provide it within a reasonable time frame.

The answer to both is to adopt my suggestion at 1. 

1 hour ago, Detournement said:

Sturgeon's Southside Henchperson announcing it's a Conspiracy Theory to say the SNP are neoliberal careerists. 

Amazing stuff. 

I’d just love to know what the SNP would do differently in an independent country bearing in mind they would need to use their own tax revenues with no Barnett and no subsidy per person from Westminster. Their own advisors tell them that there would be years of austerity.

Please, somebody, tell me.