Oor Nicola Sturgeon thread.

Pearbuyerbell

7 minutes ago, Scott Steiner said:

Thanks for the 10/10, however I'm afraid it's 0/10 for manners for you.

Next time, try conversing like an adult and you might get on better.

Seriously, why can't you types just be normal?

I assume “you types” is intended as bait?

2 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

Wasn't Stormzy banned for asterisks?

After a arse-cheeks derby win for newco, if I recall correctly

Always inconvenient when someone quotes one of my EEIL dwelling trolls and I have to read their post 🙁

6 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Whatever happened to the Oor Nicola Sturgeon thread?

I met Nicola Sturgeon once after I was playing football against Glasgow University Student Association. She managed to talk me out of kicking the f**k out of their midfielder who had repeatedly stamped on me and somehow not been sent off

whether that’s a sufficient qualification for running the country is doubtful 

4 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

I met Nicola Sturgeon once after I was playing football against Glasgow University Student Association. She managed to talk me out of kicking the f**k out of their midfielder who had repeatedly stamped on me and somehow not been sent off

Repeatedly stamps on someone, then talks them out of retaliating.

Football's loss is politics' gain.

1 minute ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

To be fair, she must have some willpower to stop herself strolling calmly across to DRoss at FMQs and kicking his coupon in. Probably a good thing that she can talk folk out of physical violence when there's obnoxious types like Stephen Kerr about as well.  

1 hour ago, Scott Steiner said:

Because the past is relevant to Scotland in 2021.. it has shaped the country.  Most importantly, those holding the parades feel it's relevant to them.  How can you say the freedoms we enjoy today aren't relevant when we still exercise them?  How can you say religion's not relevant when people worship?

The Orange Order was formed in 1795, but there were Orange and Boyne societies that had a parading tradition for many years before then.  It needs to be a parade and to be seen because it's important for us to carry on that tradition.  We're following in the footsteps of our forefathers.  If you were making the point that no one should use the streets for charity runs, protests or marches of any kind then you might have a point, but I get a sense that you're singling us out.

The Orange Order is a religious organisation, so membership is limited to Protestants however anyone is able to watch our parades, so in that respect we are indeed inclusive.  Why the desperation for things to be inclusive anyway though?  Everybody has different political/religious/philisophical beliefs.  Would you ask AUOB to be inclusive to Unionists? 😀 It's normal for people to be able to express a view or a tradition that not everybody subscribes to.  In a modern Scotland, EVERYBODY has a place, and that includes us.

If people want to set up organisations to commemorate battles won in Africa then they can - it's up to them.  You'll find all sorts of battle commemorations in countries throughout the world.

Dunkeld and Killiecrankie are indeed very relevant in Scotland, even today.  History is important and that's why it gets taught in schools.  The Battle of the Boyne, as I explained, does indeed have lots to do with Scotland in 2021.  If it had gone the other way, we'd have a far different country.

Orangemen from the ROI do indeed have Orange parades.  Check Rossnowlagh for example - the locals in Donegal love it.  There's never any trouble, hardly any police and it's absolutely a net-positive.

History is important, I agree, but it is a very narrow version of history the OO seem to want to celebrate. Frankly, I don't think marching IS relevant to marking history. Maybe in the past it was a relevant way to mark an occasion but society and abilities to do so have too. If you want to read up on historical battles, you can, if you want not to have a march past your house if you live in the path of a march, you cannot. As for AUOB, I don't think those marches through streets are appropriate either, bit there is no restriction on who can take part as far as I know. Not that I'd be inclined to regardless of my stance on independence. Everybody does have a place and no, not everything needs to be inclusive of everyone BUT I will retain the view that the marches do more harm than good. Have a march, mark the occasion if you want, but why multiple marches in multiple locations. 

We will not agree on this, so best to move on. 

5 hours ago, Theyellowbox said:

History is important, I agree, but it is a very narrow version of history the OO seem to want to celebrate. Frankly, I don't think marching IS relevant to marking history. Maybe in the past it was a relevant way to mark an occasion but society and abilities to do so have too. If you want to read up on historical battles, you can, if you want not to have a march past your house if you live in the path of a march, you cannot. As for AUOB, I don't think those marches through streets are appropriate either, bit there is no restriction on who can take part as far as I know. Not that I'd be inclined to regardless of my stance on independence. Everybody does have a place and no, not everything needs to be inclusive of everyone BUT I will retain the view that the marches do more harm than good. Have a march, mark the occasion if you want, but why multiple marches in multiple locations. 

We will not agree on this, so best to move on. 

How's it a narrow version?  We just commemorate what we see fit, just like any other group that does the same regarding a historical event.

There are indeed restrictions on who can take part on an AUOB march.  You have to support Scottish Independence.

I suppose we have a difference in that I believe in the existing law and freedom of assembly yet you say you don't agree with Orange parades or AUOB marches.

Anyway I agree, best to move on.  Pleasure exchanging ideas, and thanks for keeping it respectful.

Edited by Scott Steiner

The problem with always deferring to tradition and established culture and using this as the reason for keeping things the same is that some traditions and culture are horrible hateful backward neanderthal shite and a modern confident society should be able to put these things in the bin. 

It's not tolerable and ludicrous to compare a charity run or protest march with cosplay toy soldiers wandering shit-faced and spewing racist or sectarian filth through town after town every year metaphorically and literally cocking their legs against each lamppost they pass to mark their territory.

9 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

The problem with always deferring to tradition and established culture and using this as the reason for keeping things the same is that some traditions and culture are horrible hateful backward neanderthal shite and a modern confident society should be able to put these things in the bin. 

It's not tolerable and ludicrous to compare a charity run or protest march with cosplay toy soldiers wandering shit-faced and spewing racist or sectarian filth through town after town every year metaphorically and literally cocking their legs against each lamppost they pass to mark their territory.

Good post. 

With the attitudes of bygone centuries still seemingly quite common, and some seemingly desperate for the good old days when their opinions held definite sway, maybe we can look forward to witch trials, everything shut on Sundays, stoning for adultery and bairns up chimneys. 

Some "traditions" are best left in the past. There's more "Mason Boynes" out there than is good for a modern, forward looking democracy. (All IMO, of course. I'm not claiming divine backing or inspiration for my opinions. 🤔

10 hours ago, Scott Steiner said:

The Orange Order is a religious organisation, so membership is limited to Protestants however anyone is able to watch our parades, so in that respect we are indeed inclusive.  Why the desperation for things to be inclusive anyway though?   

The orange order is inclusive because it's visible  is an absolute belter to be fair. 

This is the biggest wrecking ball troll this forum has seen since Snafu wound up the P&B collective with his parody in multi-coloured font during the liquidation of Rangers.