Oor Nicola Sturgeon thread.

Pearbuyerbell

2 minutes ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

To have the full fiscal and economic levers to be a sovereign independent country, where all aspects of a functioning country can be decided upon in that country.

3 hours ago, SANTAN said:

That's fair enough. I respect that opinion, unfortunately for yourself it doesn't seem to be shared with the majority of the country in which you live. 

1 hour ago, SANTAN said:

I was parroting the insults you've used in your post, I don't think you're raging but you're clearly a bit dim to not realise that's what was happening. 

You've not answered the main point though, you said Unionists are so dumb and raging that they don't make any convincing arguments against Nicola Sturgeon and the SNP even though in your words there are plenty, I'll ask again.... care to provide a coherent criticism of Sturgeon that hasn't already been made on here? Your shite attempt at humour doesn't count. 

I wasn’t trying to be funny. They forget at least half the population is bigoted and thick and no amount of good policy or initiatives will break through their skulls.

Also, I have no idea what’s been said “on here” as I was referring to the Scottish Tories and Scottish Labour. Not some absolute no mark Sevco fan who’s allergic to not having the last word and must reply to everything.

35 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

I wasn’t trying to be funny. They forget at least half the population is bigoted and thick and no amount of good policy or initiatives will break through their skulls.

Also, I have no idea what’s been said “on here” as I was referring to the Scottish Tories and Scottish Labour. Not some absolute no mark Sevco fan who’s allergic to not having the last word and must reply to everything.

You were though weren't you, same with the sevco patter... 

So you're big brain idea for combating Sturgeon is that her opposition accuses her of not speaking dumb to the bigoted people of Scotland? I don't think you've thought this through at all tbh. 

Define "no mark" please? You need to be an interesting guy to be throwing that around on an anonymous football forum. 

Are you not forgetting that you'll be paying £10 to a Unionist charity of my choice next Friday? Perhaps you have a problem with replying? You clearly do considering the lack of content in your responses. 

Vogue 25: Nicola Sturgeon named one of the top 25 most influential women

"Vogue 25: Nicola Sturgeon named one of the top 25 most influential women | The National" https://www.thenational.scot/news/19495750.vogue-25-nicola-sturgeon-named-one-top-25-influential-women/

Not bad considering she's responsible for the "catastrophic collapse of the SNP" ([emoji2399] The Abla Party/MSM/Murdo Fraser).

4 hours ago, BigDoddyKane said:

For major referendums I would say every 20 years is the earliest they should be done again even then only if something seismic changes in opinion,

In this case with the EU referendum changing things after last vote and with Scotland voting heavily in favour of being in EU then its a decent reason why we should get another one.

I would prefer though that as part of any future referendum vote its stated in the legal side of things that its agreed there wont be another one for 20/30 years. 2 in 10 years is more than enough for everyone on both sides i think

It is just too time consuming a debate to continue  forever without a break as it impacts on getting things done atter a while

You do realise that this post is just one giant contradiction?  Your opening paragraph states every 20 years with a seismic change and then you proceed to say that the seismic change that has happened means we should have another within 20 years.🤔

12 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

I dunno why you would want independence if you fully believed at least half the population were irredeemably thick and bigoted 

Do you sincerely think the people that say that believe it? 

I actually think they do I just don't think they've thought about it very much. Now I don't think they believe we should be placed in the Scottish Gulags or anything after a successful Indy vote but I do think some of them aren't fussed about "bringing the country together" after such an occurrence. To me one of the most endearing opinions Indy supporters can hold is the sincere belief we could do politics a bit different and the need for a coming together afterwards to represent all political views rather than just powering on with the SNP. 

1 hour ago, SANTAN said:

You were though weren't you, same with the sevco patter... 

So you're big brain idea for combating Sturgeon is that her opposition accuses her of not speaking dumb to the bigoted people of Scotland? I don't think you've thought this through at all tbh. 

Define "no mark" please? You need to be an interesting guy to be throwing that around on an anonymous football forum. 

Are you not forgetting that you'll be paying £10 to a Unionist charity of my choice next Friday? Perhaps you have a problem with replying? You clearly do considering the lack of content in your responses. 

The irony of “you’re big brain” is probably lost on you. 

I remember reading that you shouldn’t debate with idiots because they’ll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. I choose to follow that advice on this occasion.

I am also fully aware of our charity bet and will follow up my end of the deal if you keep your laborious posts out of that thread.

13 minutes ago, Cardle is Magic said:

The irony of “you’re big brain” is probably lost on you. 

I remember reading that you shouldn’t debate with idiots because they’ll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. I choose to follow that advice on this occasion.

I am also fully aware of our charity bet and will follow up my end of the deal if you keep your laborious posts out of that thread.

Could you not have saved that post for your diary? 

6 hours ago, speckled tangerine said:

I think that Scotland should run all aspects of her affairs. Just like Ireland, Iceland, Australia or any other independent sovereign state. We elect our Governments. We make our own decisions. If we don't like that Government we vote for another. We make our own mistakes. 

It really is as simple as that.

You're four hundred and odd years too late for this pish.

The question should be why our unitary nation-state should be partitioned on the say-so of a shower of xenophobic grievance junkies.

Edited by The_Kincardine

Well, we have 5 years is too short for a people to change their minds, a late vote from the Home Counties for 400, what is the Unionist consensus on this? I'd go for ten myself which doubles the time that our neighbours get to vote in our Tory rulers against our wishes, again and again, and with utter fuckwits in charge every time. Plenty time to sort out the constitutional issues and get over Covid, lets agree to 2024, agreed? Sorted, next issue...

Edited by welshbairn

There won’t be another referendum any time soon, as she knows she won’t win it. That simple really, but she will keep beating the drum to please her supporters, although some are now realising she’s full of shit 

42 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

If ScotchNatterism started after 2016 you'd have a point.

You know very well it is correct. We have allowed ourselves to be ripped from the EU by a shower of xenophobic ars*h*les.

The move of the UK towards isolationism has been a consequence of feeding toxic notions of exceptionalism to the hard of thought. This is xenophobic nationalism and it is dangerous.

It is a complete contrast to Scotland's national movement. I don't believe there is any notion of thinking ourselves exceptional or superior. There is a desire to be on an equal footing to other similar sized neighbouring countries, with the full range of powers such a nation has at its disposal to make it's own decisions and target it's own particular needs. This is internationalism and there is nothing xenophobic about it.

It was a sensible position in Scotland pre 2016 but has become so especially since.

Edited by git-intae-thum
Typo

3 minutes ago, git-intae-thum said:

It is a complete contrast to Scotland's national movement.

Scotland's national movement  - more accurately Scotland's partitionist movement - has had three distinct phases:

-Support for Nazi Germany under Arthur Donaldson and his crew
-Detestation of the EEC under Billie Wolfe, Big Margo, Winnie Ewing et al
-A love-in with the EU under Fat Eck and onward.

The common theme is the detestation of the basturt English.

It is the opportunistic politics of identity, tribalism and xenophobia.