Oor Nicola Sturgeon thread.

Pearbuyerbell

You said it's not hard to work out why Glasgow is still in T3, it's because you elected the SNP. If you hadn't I doubt there would be such bed wetting in Glasgow right now. 
Oh aye Sarwar, Harvey and Ross are screaming from the rooftops to move Glasgow out of L3......NOT !

The one political constant throughout this pandemic has been the unity on restrictions. Barely a word in anger and all that despite emergency legislation bypassing votes.

3 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

The comment calling NS "pure evil" shows these roasters for what they are.

In fairness there's about 40,000 indy supporters that feel the same

2 hours ago, Shipa said:

If the unionists are so bothered about this, why do they not encourage their various unionist parties to form an opposition coalition, and vote together to challenge new legislation, instead of pissing and moaning that pro-indy parties are doing that?

Could it be that Indy supporters are more prepared, to an extent, to eschew other political affiliations for the greater cause, while unionists put their party political beliefs first?

In fairness there should be a greater ideological chasm between the Tories and Labour than the SNP and the Greens

1 hour ago, strichener said:

Could it be that it would be a waste of time given that the still wouldn't have a majority.  Political suicide springs to mind.

They wouldn't have a majority, but could form a strong opposition, forcing the governing coallition to be 100% behind everything.

37 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Oh aye Sarwar, Harvey and Ross are screaming from the rooftops to move Glasgow out of L3......NOT !

The one political constant throughout this pandemic has been the unity on restrictions. Barely a word in anger and all that despite emergency legislation bypassing votes.

Lol. 

We don't have unity on restrictions at all. The public messaging across Britain has varied. 

If you think the Conservative position if they had won wouldn't have been to fall in line with the UK wide path then you're argument is beyond shakey. The parties obviously adapt to the electorate and their current positioning. 

31 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

In fairness there's about 40,000 indy supporters that feel the same

In fairness there should be a greater ideological chasm between the Tories and Labour than the SNP and the Greens

This is of course part of why the SNP is currently so successfull, it is very much a "broad church" where people from across the political spectrum combine on the big policy of Independance. The fact that it currently seems to sit left of centre, but not too far left, and I think Scotland is more inclined to that way of thinking than RUK, gets them the votes.

First couple of times I voted (early 90s), I was Labour, it was still the natural thing to do in a working class house, and at that time SNP were seen as "Tartan Tories" and independance was the pipe dream of Kincy's "Glengarry wearing Tartan gonks", both these things are now in the mainstream, and I have voted SNP for 25 years now, but I do wonder how long they can continue without doing better on the "day job"

Lol. 
We don't have unity on restrictions at all. The public messaging across Britain has varied. 
If you think the Conservative position if they had won wouldn't have been to fall in line with the UK wide path then you're argument is beyond shakey. The parties obviously adapt to the electorate and their current positioning. 

Who mentioned the UK, certainly not me. Poor attempt at deflection.

1 hour ago, Shipa said:

They wouldn't have a majority, but could form a strong opposition, forcing the governing coallition to be 100% behind everything.

Pointless to form a formal opposition coalition.  The opposition will vote against the government 99 times out of 100 anyway.  Supporters of Labour would not be receptive to getting in bed with Tories.  The downsides are far greater than any upside.

Edited by strichener

6 minutes ago, strichener said:

Pointless.

Yeah, coz backbenchers never vote against party lines, and so the existence of a strong opposition is pointless. Why don't we just get rid of oppositions, let the winning party do whatever they want?

3 minutes ago, Shipa said:

Yeah, coz backbenchers never vote against party lines, and so the existence of a strong opposition is pointless. Why don't we just get rid of oppositions, let the winning party do whatever they want?

So where are the stats on how often the SNP were defeated by rebel backbenchers.  This is the proverbial pissing in the wind for opposition parties.

Edited by strichener

10 minutes ago, strichener said:

So where are the stats on how often the SNP were defeated by rebel backbenchers.  This is the proverbial pissing in the wind for opposition parties.

Don't know stats for that, but the repeal of the OBFA is an example of how a strong opposition can influence change and defeat the ruling party. 

5 minutes ago, Shipa said:

Don't know stats for that, but the repeal of the OBFA is an example of how a strong opposition can influence change and defeat the ruling party. 

Which kind of annuls your own position since this act was repealed without needing any formal opposition agreement. 

It also only passed with the help of the Greens which wouldn't be happening going forward.

1 hour ago, Stormzy said:

Here I just thought of a class joke btw. 

What do you get if you cross yellow and green? 

Indigo (Indy-Go)...

Come on then are you going to tell us this "class joke" or not.....we have been waiting an hour now

33 minutes ago, strichener said:

Which kind of annuls your own position since this act was repealed without needing any formal opposition agreement. 

It also only passed with the help of the Greens which wouldn't be happening going forward.

My initial point was that, rather than bitching about pro-indy parties working together, pro-union parties would be better concentrating on working with each other.

As you say re: OBFA there was no formal agreement, but it does show that if opposition parties can work together, whether with long-term deals or issue-specific agreements, they can make change  or, at least, hold the ruling party to account.

I'm generally supportive of the SNP, but there is a need for an opposition to ask the questions that need asking, and I do believe they can do that more effectively by working together.

1 hour ago, Stormzy said:

Here I just thought of a class joke btw. 

What do you get if you cross yellow and green? 

Indigo (Indy-Go)...

That's shite

I got a better one

What do you get if you cross Blue (Tory) Red (Tory) and Yellow (Tory)?

Pumped again, GIRUY x