Oor Nicola Sturgeon thread.

Pearbuyerbell

1 minute ago, 101 said:

The murky folk of the "majority" really haven't taken this week well.

"this is the funniest thing I have ever seen" - not even qualified by a "this may be". Thats quite the statement. I wonder what's the second most funniest thing Adam has seen - in fact I am completely intrigued by perhaps his top ten ranking. 

1 minute ago, KingRocketman II said:

"this is the funniest thing I have ever seen" - not even qualified by a "this may be". Thats quite the statement. I wonder what's the second most funniest thing Adam has seen - in fact I am completely intrigued by perhaps his top ten ranking. 

I don't know if it's broken down but yes I would say Adam has led a sheltered life.

53 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

I see certain posters are still using the vile slur 'Tory' to describe innocent people whose only 'crime' is to have voted for the Conservative Party.

LOCK THEM UP!!!!

35 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

What part is wishful thinking, some of you guys post what you want to happen I more often than not post what I think will happen, you're a fool if you don't think their is sufficient ammo for the Unionists to prolong their attack, as I said this could have been over if the committee had went one way but they've went the other and now everybody is going to continue the discussion, rightly or wrongly. 

The last 4 weeks or so have been absolutely brutal for the SNP. Salmond has had a sensational appearance to attack his Sturgeon and make allegations of corruption. Sturgeon herself has had to submit to the inquiry and been televised for 8 hours whilst opposition politicians have had the opportunity to berate her. 24 hour rolling news has constantly delivered very damaging headlines (e.g. last week had 'Inquiry Finds Sturgeon Mislead Parliament' for days and Salmond quotations) at tea time.

Beyond that, people are broadly unhappy about covid restrictions and the gov have pretty much got it tight on almost every front possible - there have been countless headlines calling into question Scottish vaccination progress, teachers are always seething, the Old Firm have been pissed off, people have remembered that Derek Mackay exists, one of the parliamentary party being suspended for sexual misconduct, Ferrier back in the news with the police investigation. It's been as bad for a single party as I can remember and must be a strategists nightmare.

In the Senedd, the First Minister and leader of the ruling Labour administration stepped down after heavy scrutiny in which he was accused of breaching the ministerial code and him and his parties ethics were called into question over handling of sexual abuse allegations against a former colleague. Despite acquittal, he was wounded to the point of resigning a couple of years ago. His successor has been hammered on similar fronts to Sturgeon over COVID. Polling wise, Labour there are now on course for their worst ever result.

With all of that has happened here though, the independence vote is essentially still consolidated behind the SNP at constituency level and the average of the last 5 polls there has still been at 48%. If such a result was realised, it would be the biggest ever vote a party has had in the parliament.

I don't doubt that we'll hear about the Salmond story for a while longer but I personally think that when the new parliament is seated and the makeup of the new gov administration relegated, it's mostly going to be relegated back to the batshit twitter sphere. It's not carrying the sort of traction that the opposition parties need it to and they've made such a shitfest of the inquiry (just allowing the electorate to know someone like Margaret Mitchell exists is a spin doctors worst nightmare) that it's getting to the point where ownership of this may very soon become a liability.

From the BBC.

"Political expert Professor Sir John Curtice has told BBC Scotland that the public has been "mis-served" by the committee's focus on whether Ms Sturgeon breached the ministerial code.

He said more attention should have been given to the robustness of the complaints procedure.

Quote Message: 'The Scottish government introduced a harassment procedure rather too hastily which was inadequately specified. What the government needs to do now is come up with a new procedure that almost entirely has to be independent. So if any civil servant in the future makes a complaint about any minister, however powerful, it is adjudicated not within the civil service but outside. That is obviously a crucial lesson. If we focus on that, we will indeed have found a way of improving the way we are governed in future.'

from Sir John Curtice Professor of Politics at Strathclyde University"

I think Curtice has this spot on.

16 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

I can't view it as she has blocked me.

So Nicola Sturgeon misled the Inquiry, but did not break the ministerial code. How odd.  Are ministers allowed to mislead in Scotland?

https://www.effiedeans.com/2021/03/the-myth-of-sturgeon.html

Doesn't take a genius to figure out why the investigating committee made up of party members went in one direction but the independent investigation went another way. Mind you Effie gets confused by road signs so it's not much of a surprise.

10 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

From the BBC.

"Political expert Professor Sir John Curtice has told BBC Scotland that the public has been "mis-served" by the committee's focus on whether Ms Sturgeon breached the ministerial code.

He said more attention should have been given to the robustness of the complaints procedure.

Quote Message: 'The Scottish government introduced a harassment procedure rather too hastily which was inadequately specified. What the government needs to do now is come up with a new procedure that almost entirely has to be independent. So if any civil servant in the future makes a complaint about any minister, however powerful, it is adjudicated not within the civil service but outside. That is obviously a crucial lesson. If we focus on that, we will indeed have found a way of improving the way we are governed in future.'

from Sir John Curtice Professor of Politics at Strathclyde University"

I think Curtice has this spot on.

That's pretty much bang on. And if that had been the focus - re-appraising what went wrong and focusing on how the parliament can do this better - they could have issued a cross-party report which helped to make a difference. But the desire to "get her" was overwhelming - especially for Mitchell and Fraser. 

4 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Nicola clearly won, the biased Partizan committee and our beloved state media embarrassed themselves. As did@Lex.
Time to move on

Aww! Poor Lex. First St. Mirren's bottle crashing and now his beloved Tories making a complete arse of themselves, proving that couldn't get their hole in roomful of open vaginas.